Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Loop (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12375)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.18.2007 10:26 PM

Loop

I only have Gilded Eternity and Fade Out- but I've come to the conclusion that I don't find them all that interesting. If I'm not really closely listening and sort of in a daze they are good, but if I'm paying attention, all of their songs are boring.

Although I guess you could say that about most Shoegaze, couldn't you?

Savage Clone 04.18.2007 10:28 PM

Loop were no shoegaze band.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.18.2007 10:40 PM

Wikipedia says they were.

But skipping the technicalities. . . I think they are kind of boring when I pay attention and kind of awesome when I'm not. Good background music?

Savage Clone 04.18.2007 10:44 PM

To me they are very engaging. Indeed they are one of the bands that have meant the most to my perception of music and the beauty of a maximal sound from a minimal structure. To me, they use repetition and saturation to break through "boring" and arrive at "transcendent."
They were my very favorite band at that time and have remained one of my favorites since. I don't think they are boring merely because they utilize a minimal/repetitious style; for me, it's more than that.

terminal pharmacy 04.18.2007 10:54 PM

just for the record, wikipedia is not an official nor reliable source of information regarding anything on this planet.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.18.2007 11:23 PM

I know Terminal Pharmacy, I'm "jux sayin'" as the saying goes.

I understand your argument Savage Clone, there are a few songs that to me achieve that. The song Blood off Gilded Eternity is really cool.

It is entirely possible that I've just not been in the mood for them the past few weeks or that I'm not listening to them right. (Fugazi is a much more interesting band to listen to while I am doing dishes than when I am idle at the computer for example.)

sonicl 04.19.2007 03:01 AM

Their first album, Heavens End, is due for a reissue some time later this year. Get that, and your opinion on Loop will be turned upside down within minutes, I guarantee you.

MellySingsDoom 04.19.2007 04:12 AM

Loop were one of the great 80's UK bands. Their singles are definitely worth picking up, especially "Collision".

SonicSam 04.19.2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Loop were no shoegaze band.

this is true

Florya 04.19.2007 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Their first album, Heavens End, is due for a reissue some time later this year. Get that, and your opinion on Loop will be turned upside down within minutes, I guarantee you.

Spot on!

A fantastic album by a great band. For me, 'Straight to Your Heart' is the stand out track of the album, and probably of Loop's total output.

sarramkrop 04.19.2007 04:38 AM

They are one of my absolute favourite bands ever. I never find them boring and never will.

sonicl 04.19.2007 04:40 AM

I can't remember how I first came to hear about Loop, but I bought their first 12" (Head On) because I liked Spacemen 3 and JAMC and they were being mentioned as comparisons. I remember being lliterally stopped in my tracks the first time I put that record on, I had never heard anything that "far-out" ever before. Spacemen 3 with balls.

nick2767 04.19.2007 05:51 AM

I used to love Loop. Saw them a few times during their existence including their last ever show at Kilburn National. The first time was at a pub in Brighton called the Richmond around '87 and they blew me away (I taped the gig actually, I must go up in the attic and hunt it out!).

They were a really good head-fuck band both live and on record. Not one to listen to whilst doing the dishes though! I really got into their later stuff, which was longer, took time to build and had a much deeper, heavier bass sound. Arc-lite 12", Black Sun 12" and the Guilded album.

sarramkrop 04.19.2007 05:53 AM

Has anyone heard the new Main stuff? The times have changed a lot, it's not really good stuff, very isolationist electronic stuff.

Florya 04.19.2007 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Has anyone heard the new Main stuff? The times have changed a lot, it's not really good stuff, very isolationist electronic stuff.

I have a few MAIN bits n pieces. Some of it I really like, others are a bit meh.
It's extremely minimal, doesn't really lend itself to vinyl releases.

sarramkrop 04.19.2007 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florya
I have a few MAIN bits n pieces. Some of it I really like, others are a bit meh.
It's extremely minimal, doesn't really lend itself to vinyl releases.

All the early eps and albums are great, though. Dry Stone Feed, Hydra etc plus Firmament and Ligature are worth a listen too. It's just that he went into way too abstract territory and it's difficult listening to his music without thinking that it is a lot of meaningless laptop noise.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.19.2007 11:30 AM

I'll have to give Heaven's End a try.

When I started to listening to them I was like "wow, these guys are really cool, they have a sense of rock and roll to this sort of music," but lately I don't know if I've been in the mood for them.

Everyneurotic 04.19.2007 11:41 AM

the only thing i might find dull about loop is their production/mastering, it doesn't translate very well to cds and mp3s.

but, my god, such a great band; try to look for the one known as "italian bootleg" (edizione limitata di 1000 copie), it's a live bootleg album, as you might have guessed, so good. i agree heaven's end is fantastic too.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.19.2007 11:53 AM

I'll have to give that a try Everyneurotic. I think I know what you mean about the production/mastering. That is probably what is getting me.

GravitySlips 04.19.2007 05:33 PM

Heaven's End is an incredible album, it makes my mind spin. For some reason though, i still haven't heard any other albums by Loop :/