Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How obsessively do you collect SY stuff? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29503)

blunderbuss 02.20.2009 05:48 AM

How obsessively do you collect SY stuff?

^
Poll

My hardcore-ness varies a little - I'm obsessive with Lee's stuff, but not so much with Thurston's. I don't bother with his stuff that is clearly going to be pure noise, for instance, because I just don't enjoy listening to it.

This Is Not Here 02.20.2009 06:11 AM

I'd be a poor man if I hunted down every limited edition tape and such-like, so I stick to every main album, SY and solo stuff. I think I pretty much have all of this now.

radarmaker 02.20.2009 07:37 AM

My slightly obsessive-compulsive side certainly manisfests itself when it comes to SY vinyl releases (to the point of having all 4 different pressings of both the debut EP & Confusion, and multiple pressings of a few others), but I don't really bother with CDs or tapes unless it's something unavailable on vinyl.
I dabble in the solo stuff, but am certainly hardcore in that respect.

Moshe 02.20.2009 07:43 AM

i buy stuff even when i know i'm not going to listen to it. just like stamps.

nicfit 02.20.2009 07:45 AM

I'm a pretty lame cds collector. I like some "extra" stuff like books, posters, some shirts, zines etc. I mainly stick to "proper" SY releases (album, singles, semi-official and not so official silver cds) rather than vinyl, as I have no means to play them. But I own some anyways, and I own a few solo things, but I usually buy only those I know I like and I'd listen to more than once in my lifetime. And I'm a pretty obsessive audio/video collector (live gigs, live vids), even if due to many other things going on my dime account and other useful sources are being used nowhere near their full potential.

A question: does anybody know if BIG NYC G&F flowers posters have been printed? I remember I saw one that seemed quite big in a pic scremingskull posted, but I'm not 100% sure. In the official store there are only small ones methinks.

_slavo_ 02.20.2009 07:48 AM

I buy every widely distributed SY release

that means, regular albums.

noisereductions 02.20.2009 08:02 AM

Basically I try to buy every single item that comes out that says "Sonic Youth" on it. CD's, vinyl, books, DVD's, vids, whatever.

Then I'll usually go for a lot of Thurston and Lee's free jazz shit, but I'm less concerned with Thurston's straight up noise feedback shit. And I'll buy most solo/sideproject albums (Trees, Free Kitten, things like that).

greedrex 02.20.2009 08:05 AM

I buy every SY release and some solo stuff

skipvacuum 02.20.2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

you listen to stamps?...no seriously...i do the same thing often...times are touch though i've had to limit my stamp buying

blunderbuss 02.20.2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Okay, I'm going to ask you a question now. And it's one that I frequently ask myself, and can't answer: Why?

Why do you (and I, and a few others) feel the need to have in our possessions every single recorded work by these four people? Why does it pain us so when Thurston releases a limited edition of 9 copies of a C12 cassette containing the sound of a dying amp, and we cannot get one?

noisereductions 02.20.2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Okay, I'm going to ask you a question now. And it's one that I frequently ask myself, and can't answer: Why?

For me I think part of it is just the ongoing completist thing. Which is to say that I've been collecting SY for sooooooooo long and so seriously, that it would be tough to let that part of myself go. Sad even.

But also, I think it boils down to this: say they put out a 10" limited to 2000 copies. If I dont rush out and get it, and then YOU come on here and talk about how good it is... then I'm gonna kick myself and resent you a little. And I like you blunder. So I don't want that to happen.

greedrex 02.20.2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I like you blunder.

Rob Instigator 02.20.2009 10:07 AM

Sonic Youth is my all-time favorite band ever ever ever.
I am more hardcore than the choices given, but I chose the first one. I collect all their official LP's, all the EP's, all the 12" and 10" singles. I collect all their solo stuff, Lee's stuff on Vinyl and CD.. Thurston's singles and side projects. On top of that I collect anything I can find signed by the band, record covers, posters, whatever. I also collect ephemera, ticket stubs, set lists from shows, embroidered patches, stickers, bootleg shows, etc.

i even got these.

noisereductions 02.20.2009 10:19 AM

greedrex, i dn't wanna have to neg rep you man!

greedrex 02.20.2009 10:48 AM

if you wanna neg rep me, i will neg rep you.
watchagonnado?

noisereductions 02.20.2009 10:59 AM

dammit. It appears we are in a stalemate.

greedrex 02.20.2009 11:00 AM

he he

Death & the Maiden 02.20.2009 04:48 PM

I'm not very obsessive about collecting SY stuff. I have most of the studio albums (I still don't have ATL, NYC G+F and RR) and I have Thurston's Trees. I chose "some stuff I buy, some I don't", because I don't think I'll ever buy Rather Ripped.

joe11121 02.20.2009 05:07 PM

I should have clicked this "Some stuff I buy, some I don't" but i clicked the wrong one.

EVOLghost 02.20.2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

I don't like listening to stamps either.