Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dietary habits (poll) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4098)

sonicl 07.13.2006 05:44 AM

Dietary habits (poll)

What sort of diet do you follow?

Until a couple of years ago I was lacto-ovo-vegetarian (largely veggie but ate eggs and dairy products), but I've relaxed lately and have started eating fish from time to time. I'd been vegetarian for almost twenty years, and there was no animal rights issue or belief that I didn't need to or shouldn't eat meat, I just didn't fancy the idea of eating flesh. I can't really put my finger on a reason why that feeling changed, but I tried fish and it didn't make me sick, so I eat it two or three times a month now. I can't see me ever eating anything with legs or wings though, it totally doesn't appeal.

For the veggies, what are your thoughts on "fake meat" products? Stuff like soya products made to look and taste like bacon. They seem a totally ridiculous concept to me, but somehow they keep on selling.

There's probably been a poll or thread on this before, but never mind, it's a quiet day and there's another one now.

A Thousand Threads 07.13.2006 05:48 AM

RIOTS not DIETS

fishmonkey 07.13.2006 05:59 AM

i think its safe to say i would eat a nuns knickers thru a convent gate.

i.e. i would eat anything... although funny as it sounds i am an Irish man and i dont care for potatoes much.

Tokolosh 07.13.2006 06:17 AM

Well, I'm a Pescetarian.
The "fake meat" issue is pretty rediculous. I see t-bone or spare rib shaped tofu and I'm thinking, why? As a vegetarian, you don't want to be reminded about how a cow looks like on the inside. I never had a problem with the slaughtering of animals as long as it's done humanly. Don't mistreat animals before killing them for food. Do it as quick and clean as possible.
If you want to be sure your meat hasn't been killed in the wrong manner, your best bet would be to buy it from an islamic butcher.
They tend to use ethical methods when slaughtering.
I once heard a meat eater say, "If animals are not meant to be eaten, why are they made from meat? There's some truth in that if you're a carnivore.

screamingskull 07.13.2006 06:59 AM

i was a vegetarian growing up as both my parents were, now i pretty much eat anything, except fruit and nut mix now thats just discusting!!!, makes me feel sick just thinking about it!

Pookie 07.13.2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey

i.e. i would eat anything... although funny as it sounds i am an Irish man and i dont care for potatoes much.

Pretty much sums me up but I love potatoes as well.

I used to be a vegetarian but for reasons too tedious to go into, I now eat ANYTHING. Partial to a good hog roast.

Tokolosh 07.13.2006 07:08 AM

Quote:

That makes sense. Potatoes don't come from europe. They're originally came from south america and were brought back by columbus and other explorers.

porkmarras 07.13.2006 07:12 AM

Quote:

I'm the same like that.My mum always says to me that i'm the only one at home who's not stuck on some hideous diet of some kind.I love meat but i don't particularly eat a lot of it.I could never get enough fish.It's what made me so intelligent,smart and nice looking.;)

Tokolosh 07.13.2006 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I could never get enough fish.

Sardinian. ;)

Cantankerous 07.13.2006 07:58 AM

basically i eat sugar and beef.

Tokolosh 07.13.2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
basically i eat sugar and beef.

What? Like together?

Cantankerous 07.13.2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
What? Like together?

no. i eat donuts, candy, soda, cookies, brownies etc etc etc and hamburgers and meatball sandwiches. and fried chicken, so not exclusively beef, but for the most part, and i also eat boxed macaroni and cheese. i have not touched a vegetable or fruit in some years now.

touch me i'm sick 07.13.2006 08:13 AM

i just love meatttt

Savage Clone 07.13.2006 08:14 AM

I'm vegan and have been for the last 6 or 7 years; vegetarian for nearly 20 years.
Fake meat products are hilarious to me. I have no desire to eat that stuff, and I don't understand the appeal.
I don't care what anyone else eats and I am not interested in evangelizing or converting.

porkmarras 07.13.2006 08:18 AM

I could live on brown or orange lentils alone for certain periods of time.

Tokolosh 07.13.2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I could live on brown or orange lentils alone for ceratin periods of time.

Weren't you the guy in the Young Ones?

porkmarras 07.13.2006 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Weren't you the guy in the Young Ones?

No.

kingcoffee 07.13.2006 08:52 AM

I can't believe no one here follows the Religious based diets. No one here is Jewish or Muslim? No kosher-heads in the Sonic Youth forum?

Hip Priest 07.13.2006 08:54 AM

Vegetarian.

Tokolosh 07.13.2006 08:55 AM

I love lentils too pork. Brain food is what it is. There are hundreds of different combo's.