Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Two songs from Polvo's In Prism... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33563)

kierkegaarden 08.11.2009 04:03 AM

Two songs from Polvo's In Prism...

... "Lucia" and "A Link in the Chain" have floored me. These guys have done something new. Well, new for Polvo.

Anyone heard them?

Jeremy 08.11.2009 04:24 AM

Just started listening to the record right now (It's streaming on mergerecords.com), and it's sounding pretty good. Only in the first song though, so that's only a couple minutes...

Funny how they changed the song A Thousand Waves to A Link In The Chain. I guess the original title sounded too much like a Thousand Leaves?

~Jeremy~

Sonic Youth Gossip 08.11.2009 04:45 AM

Man if any band deserved to be more well known, it was definitely Polvo. (Except wtf was with Shapes?)

kierkegaarden 08.11.2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth Gossip
Man if any band deserved to be more well known, it was definitely Polvo. (Except wtf was with Shapes?)

They're part of my personal canon, but that album will probably never be in rotation for me past the obligatory once a year revisit, you know, in case my ears have been "refined" and what-not.

"A Thousand Waves"...? Wouldn't have been terrible, maybe Ash realized it was too romantic-minded and felt like confusing everyone to the point of interpreting the song in a surreal Hamlet/King Lear-T.S. Eliot commentary way.

wtf I dunno what I mean.

narlus 08.11.2009 10:20 AM

i listened to the stream last night. very solid record.

Count Mecha 08.11.2009 12:43 PM

Pretty good listen. I think it's going to take a few listens before I can really appreciate it though.

Everytime I see the In Prism cover in my peripheral vision, I can't help but think of the blue cover to the Minor Threat Complete Discography.

ricechex 08.12.2009 08:21 AM

I streamed the new "In Prism" and it is great! I just saw Polvo in Philly a couple weeks back but didn't remember them doing too many off the new one so its real fresh to me.

Fantastic comeback!

atsonicpark 08.12.2009 08:39 AM

This band was my favorite when I was 16 but for some reason I just don't have any excitement whatsoever to listen to this record. I know I will at some point but ... hmm. We'll see.

ricechex 08.13.2009 08:33 AM

Man, I love this new Polvo record. Its a bit more subdued overall perhaps w/ less jagged stop/starts they are known for and some cleaner guitars overall.

BUT do not be worried by this. The arrangements are great, more naturally flowing. I tip my hat to this effort, esp after nearly a dozen or so since Shapes and even longer since Exploded Drawing, their last real good one. I've been streaming In Prism constantly the last 3 days!! My faves are the Pedlar, A Link.., and Lucia.

Derek 08.13.2009 08:34 AM

Anyone want to PM me an... illegal download link?

ricechex 08.13.2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

just go to the Merge Records site, can't miss it. It's streaming free for a bit.

hevusa 08.13.2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricechex
just go to the Merge Records site, can't miss it. It's streaming free for a bit.

you mean there is no BEGN code to enter?!? WATCH OUT!!
there may be a black hole forming somewhere nearby as a result.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.13.2009 11:51 AM

So far I've found it kind of boring.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.13.2009 11:52 AM

Lucia is definitely the best one so far guitar wise, but Ash's vocal delivery is kind of weak. It's no "Fast Canoe" or "When Will I Die For the Last Time In Your Dreams?" though

kierkegaarden 08.13.2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

Illegal? Whut?

Capture the streams, if they're still up.

atsonicpark 08.13.2009 05:58 PM

it's on slsk. I just d/l'ed it, will listen when I'm not depressed.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 08.13.2009 06:30 PM

so then you can be depressed after you hear it?

[Sandbag] 08.13.2009 06:43 PM

I haven't listened to this album yet.. gonna download it now

pbradley 08.13.2009 07:08 PM

I already loved Right the Relation before knowing the title.

Wish it had more bass, though.

atsonicpark 08.14.2009 08:17 AM

Good album. Has GREAT moments. Some not so much. I dunno. Didn't make a huge impression on me but it's better than Shapes, at least!