Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Captain Beefheart RIP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43847)

Savage Clone 12.17.2010 04:57 PM

Captain Beefheart RIP

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/12/17/c...eefheart-dies/

SpaceCadetHayden 12.17.2010 05:00 PM

:(

Time to throw on Trout Mask.

Derek 12.17.2010 05:00 PM

Oh my god. :(

nicfit 12.17.2010 05:08 PM

:(
rip

loubarret 12.17.2010 05:22 PM

Rip to this great man

TheFoxBen 12.17.2010 05:27 PM

Yeah, R.I.P. Don Van Vliet.

Although I kinda dislike Trout Mask Replica, I highly respect his work...

Derek 12.17.2010 05:29 PM

Gonna stay up all night and listen to his records.

DeadDiscoDildo 12.17.2010 05:29 PM

RIP Don. Goddamnit...

Waiting for Adam to chime in.

EvdWee 12.17.2010 05:30 PM

sad news.

Derek 12.17.2010 05:36 PM

This makes me reconsider the mortality of all those who I idolise in some way. Not looking forward to when Robert Fripp, Woody Allen, David Cronenberg, Jean-Luc Godard etc. pass away, though hopefully I'll be dead before them.

DeadDiscoDildo 12.17.2010 05:50 PM

FUCK it's just sinking in...

Genteel Death 12.17.2010 08:10 PM

So sad to learn about this.
RIP

atsonicpark 12.17.2010 08:14 PM

This is my favorite musician of all time. My favorite ARTIST of all time... I simply would not be making music if it wasn't for this man. End of story. He completely blows my mind in every way. One of the few true artists, true geniuses, and one of a kind.

I am crying. At least he had a wonderful life (how many other musicians can say they entirely changed the face of rock music completely? His music has been namedropped by everyone from the Beatles to Jimi Hendrix to The Fall to the Residents, and even tv shows like the Mighty Boosh and filmmakers/artists like Matt Groening and David Lynch have cited his influence in their works). His last few years -- from all accounts -- seemed peaceful, in his desert home with his wife. Thank you, Captain, for everything you contributed. You changed my life.

I HIGHLY DOUBT I will ever hear any musician who is great as this man, he was untouchable, the Magic Band is the most perfect band I've ever heard.

I am sure he is having a Tropical Hot Dog Night in Heaven.

If you've never been touched by this man's music, now is a great time to put on DOC AT THE RADAR STATION or LICK MY DECALS OFF BABY. Just a warning.. it doesn't take much to get you completely addicted... I know I went over a year where this man was all I listened to, literally. And it was probably the best year of my life. It completely changed me and how I created art.

RIP to the greatest musical genius of our generation.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.17.2010 08:26 PM

I was never really a fan, but I do respect the influence he had on many artists who attempted to follow in his footsteps.

RIP

Skuj 12.17.2010 08:33 PM

Aw Man, Trout Mask Replica changed my pathetic fuckin life. Thanks for all the great times Don.

atsonicpark 12.17.2010 08:39 PM

While I have a great love for all of his records, I think the one that really changed me -- and my personal favorite, though I recognize it's not his "Best" -- is ICE CREAM FOR CROW. Hearing the song "1010th Day of the Human Totem Pole" and wondering how the fuck musicians could remember to play that many notes (it wasn't improvised in the least). Hearing the title track and truly falling in love with the sound of the slide guitar for the first time. The off-kilter drumming, the thumping bass, the guitars clashing/colliding/playing together and apart at the same time... Don's brilliant, beautiful poetry... truly amazing. I think the Magic Band -- the various incarnations of it, I mean -- was always the best band ever; no one "stood out", in a sense, because all of them were amazing musicians. I have a particular soft spot for the LICK MY DECALS OFF era, with Ed Marimba's.. uh.. marimba playing. Long sections of marimba/bass/guitar endlessly playing the same notes. Beautiful.

krastian 12.17.2010 08:44 PM

One of the greatest ever!!

Very sad to hear of his passing. One of his songs pops up on my Zune just about every day on my way to work. Man, this sucks.

Thanks for the music and the inspiration to be as weird as I want!! Never compromise!!

"The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter."

Always loved that quote.

atsonicpark 12.17.2010 08:53 PM

Here is the absolute best page you will find on the Captain:

http://beefheart.com/

I sifted through it a while back, completely, I think I will spend the night re-reading some of my favorite articles, while blasting some of my favorite songs. I highly reccomend checking out that site, for tabs, complete lyrics/poetry, hundreds of his paintings reproduced in jpeg, articles new and old, etc. Insanely informative and inspiring.

jon boy 12.17.2010 09:17 PM

really really sad news. he hadnt done anything for a while but his legacy will live on. rest well, you've earned it.

Pax Americana 12.17.2010 09:36 PM

Sad, sad news. RIP.