Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Opinion On Live Laptops?? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=855)

Onani Nic 04.12.2006 07:47 AM

Opinion On Live Laptops??

What do you think about live laptops in noise/experimental stuff?

From what I've seen its mostly really cold and boring....
The only things i've found interesting involving laptops is when its only part of the performers setup.

For example this solo guy Heil Spirits used a laptop but also played bass, a little keyboard, heaps of pedals and vocals. It was really cool but still I expect the worst when i see a laptop on stage.

sonicl 04.12.2006 08:12 AM

The only laptop artist I've seen is Pan Sonic, and with them the music was so good, and the sinewaves projection thing behind them so hypnotic, that I really didn't notice that they were just sitting at a table doing something with a computer. To have someone leaping about on stage would have been a distraction.

However, I saw The Young Gods a few years back, which was men standing behind samplers, and that was so incredibly boring that the quality of the music just couldn't save it.

next step 04.12.2006 08:13 AM

it's depend. I'm seeing many laptops on stage but everything with the same uses.
most of times I didnt like that. it's a machine not an instrument and it should be used as an automatic machine to capture and elaborate signals.

Savage Clone 04.12.2006 08:15 AM

I have NEVER seen a "live" laptop "performance" that didn't make me want to heckle and yell. You know, something along the lines of "Hey, could you send me en email," or "So, whatcha got there, Windows?"

I have no problem with people using whatever they want to make music, but if you are a laptop person, you should realize that live performance is not really in the cards.
To pay admission to see someone sit in front of a computer is not my idea of a good time. I have seen people utilize laptops as part of their gear, and then it doesn't bother me, but loners with laptops in a live setting just annoy the shit out of me.

next step 04.12.2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I have NEVER seen a "live" laptop "performance" that didn't make me want to heckle and yell. You know, something along the lines of "Hey, could you send me en email," or "So, whatcha got there, Windows?"

I have no problem with people using whatever they want to make music, but if you are a laptop person, you should realize that live performance is not really in the cards.
To pay admission to see someone sit in front of a computer is not my idea of a good time. I have seen people utilize laptops as part of their gear, and then it doesn't bother me, but loners with laptops in a live setting just annoy the shit out of me.

I'm agree with Erik. anyway I think computer on stage could takes new utilization forms.

Glice 04.12.2006 09:57 AM

I hate laptops so much, I have one in my band. I like the way Luc Ferrari (deceased) would deal with the perfomance side of laptops by performing in pitch black. Smart move. Merzbow can get away with not having a stage show because he makes something that is physically quite difficult to listen to in the first place. Alvo Noto with Ryuchi Sugimoto (sp?) last year was quite interesting - wonderful visuals.

So yes. I say laptops + visuals = can be good; laptops alone + probably bad; laptops + instrument = good.

Toilet & Bowels 04.12.2006 12:07 PM

i went to a show the other day and one of the people playing was a laptop guy who just hit play and then left the stage. astounding. i would have liked to have snapped his neck. to make it even more insulting his music was composed by using the answers from su doku as patterns to make beats in garageband!

l

Toilet & Bowels 04.12.2006 12:11 PM

laptops can be alright in quiet london improv type music, it only seems appropriate and fitting that people like kaffe matthews and the other ones sit stock still, there's usually an actual instrument player aswell to make it less annoying

pokkeherrie 04.12.2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I say laptops + visuals = can be good; laptops alone = probably bad; laptops + instrument = good.

exactly... i was going to mention merzbow too as being not boring... not so much because of the visuals of dead chickens or whatever, but because it's a challenge to endure physically.

however, last week i saw phil niblock/thomas ankersmit in a individual and duo setting and while ankersmit was still somewhat ok to watch, niblock was most of the time staring at the floor, one hand on his lap while he used the other to rest his head on. pretty boring... the plain visuals couldn't save the performance for me.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.12.2006 02:06 PM

live laptop = bad

krastian 04.12.2006 02:16 PM

Yeah I wouldn't want to go see that crap.

Everyneurotic 04.12.2006 02:42 PM

to tell you the truth i've never seen a live laptop performance

but from what you've telling, it sounds crappy and boring...i've been thinking for awhile about live laptop-ish performances since i do my project I/C/O/C mostly on my computer and a guitar, and thought how i could translate that stuff live; i thought of these:

-improvisation is the best thing to do with a laptop, since "playing" already written/recorded material would result in a boombox performance, kinda like what Toilet & Bowels described. at least you get the slight sensation of playing from actually doing something other than pushing play.

-this also reminds me of electronica, you can either go (to use broad terms) the chemical brothers way and push play and leave the playback intact, go the prodigy way and incorporate a live band element to the performance or go the fatboy slim way and make a set of original noise material and mix n' match a bunch into a giant collage of harsh sound

-if you are playing noise by yourself with a computer, you should play loud so it seems like a live performance and not like some geeky kid listening to black eyed peas with busted speakers on a park bench.

-make it seem like you are excited by the sounds you are coming up with, not just stare like doing your homework.

-some visuals like lights (or lack of them, as someone said here) or some sort of different instrument going on or projections, etc. help a lot.

-a laptop is not a musical instrument, just think of it "you like my ax? macs are my weapon of choice" "well, i'm more of vintage guy myself, i don't play anything newer than ibms; i swear by my amiga"

o o o 04.12.2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
-make it seem like you are excited by the sounds you are coming up with, not just stare like doing your homework.

when i saw Dat Politics live (I seem to mention them a lot here, I don't know why), although they spent most of their time behind their laptops, it was absolutely not boring and perhaps it was simply because they really looked excited by the sounds they were making, the three of them banging their heads like mad in synch to the beats or noises, and getting all sweaty...
they were also singing from time to time, and using some other electronic instruments if i remember well, so that helped...
and the music was great...

top 40 squeeze 04.12.2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
What do you think about live laptops in noise/experimental stuff?

From what I've seen its mostly really cold and boring....
The only things i've found interesting involving laptops is when its only part of the performers setup.

For example this solo guy Heil Spirits used a laptop but also played bass, a little keyboard, heaps of pedals and vocals. It was really cool but still I expect the worst when i see a laptop on stage.

Great Laptop acts I've seen:

Jim O'rourke
Carlos Giffoni
Ikue Mori
Whitehouse
Massimo

and Merzbow was pretty okay too

They exist, and they rock.

nomadicfollower 04.12.2006 04:47 PM

It would be cool if after every song the guy got up and threw the laptop down, stepped on it, threw it at the speakers, etc. only to bring out a new one.

golden child 04.12.2006 05:11 PM

the first show i played i used a computer, but it wasnt all i used and i moved around and such

ive seen performances where they just stare at the screen, really shitty. although once there was some crazy videosonic projection team doing all this crazy psych stuff and that made it alot better.

my favorite laptop performace
cryptic weevil - contact mic'd laptop + axe

terminal pharmacy 04.12.2006 05:16 PM

laptops are good tools for live performance, i just finished a show where we has three of them on stage, however we also had drums, two guitars, two basses, three keyboards and four vocal mics. they are just another music creation tool and i don't see a problem with them, but i don't disagree that it would be boring to see someone just sitting or standing behind one on stage and that was the breadth of their performance aesthetic.

Glice 04.12.2006 07:55 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention - Guitar groups are fucking boring live. Lets not forget that. I guarantee, the next guitar band you'll see will be dull as piss, as they'll probably be an opening act, and will probably have no ideas or any idea how to play live - what laptop does, for me, is make me realise how much I appreciate good live shows, regardless of the instruments, and draws into sharp focus how utterly shit the majority of guitar bands are.

*To be edited in sobriety.

Toilet & Bowels 04.12.2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Oh, I forgot to mention - Guitar groups are fucking boring live. Lets not forget that. I gaurentee, the next guitar band you'll see will be dull as piss, as they'll probably be an opening act, and will probably have no ideas or any idea how to play live - what laptop does, for me, is make me realise how much I appreciate good live shows, regardless of the instruments, and draws into sharp focus how utterly shit the majority of guitar bands are.

*To be edited in sobriety.

i just got back from seeing Afrirampo, i've never seen a band win a skeptical crowd over more quickly, they did it in about 20 seconds.

Anyway, that's true what someone said about DAT Politics, they were actually better live than on record, probably a first as far as laptop music goes.

_slavo_ 04.13.2006 07:15 AM

It's not about type of instrument, it's about the way you play it. A shitty player is a shitty player, no matter if he plays guitar or laptop.

As for myself, I have seen many great laptop performances:
Fennesz (2003...wall of noise), Rehberg+Bauer, Tujiko Noriko (just laptop and her angel voice...beautiful!!), Christoph Kurzmann, Oren Ambarchi

as well as many shitty ones:
Fennesz (2005...boring. compared to the first show, he was using guitar/laptop combination), Koji Asano (oh hell, I almost fell asleep), Florian Hecker and, surprisingly, also Vladislav Delay (an endless set with minimum variations) and Jan Jelinek.