Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   obvious bands youve read the name of a million times (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25133)

ni'k 09.03.2008 04:35 PM

obvious bands youve read the name of a million times

but you for whatever reason dont check them out until way later and yr thinking "what the fuck this band woud have been my favorite band ever a few years back why the fuck did i never check them out!"

i just heard unsane for the first time which is why this thread has come about.

everybody should just post massive lists of all the obvious bands everyone on here should like and then people can make an effort to check the ones they have yet to listen to.

king_buzzo 09.03.2008 04:41 PM

aweome thread idea. right now i really can't remember any.

al shabbray 09.03.2008 04:47 PM

the unsane wave makes it into a tsunami, good to see that they still got the same impact as 1997 on me :)

gmku 09.03.2008 05:28 PM

Sunn oo]]] or whatever they're called.

MellySingsDoom 09.03.2008 05:31 PM

For me, it was The Fall. I avoided them for years, and then in the mid 90's, was sold copies of the "Dragnet" and "Hex Enduction Hour" LP, plus a bunch of their earliest singles. After that, I was totally converted.

gualbert 09.03.2008 05:39 PM

Regarding the noise rock thread , nobody has posted a list of what you or anyone else *should* like.

ZEROpumpkins 09.03.2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
but you for whatever reason dont check them out until way later and yr thinking "what the fuck this band woud have been my favorite band ever a few years back why the fuck did i never check them out!"

i just heard unsane for the first time which is why this thread has come about.

everybody should just post massive lists of all the obvious bands everyone on here should like and then people can make an effort to check the ones they have yet to listen to.

Haha dude that's happened to me so many times. I think the first was with Dinosaur Jr. when I was about 9.

SuperCreep 09.03.2008 07:42 PM

My Bloody Valentine for a few years. I always found their name to be incredibly unappealing, probably 'cos it reminded me of Bullet for My Valentine or a million other "emo" bands or whatever.

I love them now.

Decayed Rhapsody 09.03.2008 07:55 PM

Radiohead. Although I think they're somewhat creatively blocked these days. I probably would have been a total fanboy if I'd listened to them when I was younger.

deflinus 09.03.2008 09:04 PM

sonic youth actually.

i thought they were like a punk band who were way past their prime and completely sucked now. like one of those old bands that become popular again for some reason but still sucki

noisyboy 09.03.2008 09:07 PM

smart went crazy are a good one...

uhler 09.03.2008 09:40 PM

the melvins and huggy bear are the only two i can think of.

atsonicpark 09.03.2008 10:13 PM

We had an almost identical thread to this last week.

Anyway, none. I check out every band immediately that sounds interesting .

Death & the Maiden 09.04.2008 05:43 AM

It took me ages to check out Ed Kuepper and all his bands. I'd known about him for awhile, because I loved The Saints, but I just didn't really care. I was more interested in buying non-Kuepper Saints albums than listening to him. I ordered a Laughing Clowns album when I began to notice him. The album didn't arrive for more than six months, and in that time I'd forgotten about it. Now he's my favourite artist.

ZEROpumpkins 09.04.2008 06:22 AM

New theory:
Death & the Maiden is astroturfing for Ed Kuepper.

Death & the Maiden 09.04.2008 06:26 AM

That's been going on for ages. Type "kuepper" in the search function, and almost fifty results come up. But the German thing isn't over - did you miss my Neubauten thread? I'm surprised you haven't commented on the fact that my all time favourite album is a German album.

ZEROpumpkins 09.04.2008 06:31 AM

I think I posted something on your MySpace blog about it.

I also went through a short phase where I thought you were a neo-nazi.

Toilet & Bowels 09.04.2008 06:40 AM

einsturzende neubauten i heard them for the first time about 7 or 8 years ago, and got annoyed with myself for not checking them out in my teens

Bertrand 09.04.2008 07:23 AM

Television Personalities; had good reviews in my then fave music mag; although releasing on Seminal Twang along the likes of Half Japanese and Daniel Johnston; I only listened to them circa 1999 and felt it was something I did relate to; at that time the band no longer existed; shortly after Dan Treacy, its leader, disappeared; now he's back and his current songs are horrid.

Thee Headcoatees; read about them in a fansize that was quite quite good (Hyacinth - through which I got the Ranaldo/SY Social Power Performance for close to nix); I had one of their "early" 7"; I liked it a lot but never bothered purchasing an album until their very last.

The wonderful Flamin' Groovies; there was that journalist dropping their name wherever he could; if I'm correct he associated it to Supergrass's first. 8 years later I discovered the music.

And I'm Kuepper-infected too.

ZEROpumpkins 09.04.2008 07:24 AM

ಠ_ಠ