Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Swans (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10621)

LittlePuppetBoy 02.17.2007 06:50 PM

Swans

I just bought Children of God/World of Skin a couple of days ago. What do you think of this album?

I really like it. It's got a lot of really beautiful stuff on it.

Dead-Air 02.17.2007 08:40 PM

It's two albums, two groups even.

Children of God is the Swans very best record in my estimation. I love that album with a huge passion. It's the meeting ground between Gira's old group and the new mellower one that Jarboe transformed the group (and really the man too) into. I saw them play on the tour after that one, so they did plenty of stuff from it, and it was amazing.

LittlePuppetBoy 02.17.2007 09:45 PM

I'm definitely planning on getting Filth, I saw it at the same record store.

sonicl 02.18.2007 03:23 AM

I love those albums. They mark the border between noisy Swans and melodic Swans. My preference is for melodic Swans, and I love the Various Failures collection. Of the pre-Children of God stuff, I never bother going any furher back than Greed.

Official Swans website

demonrail666 02.18.2007 09:33 AM

Cop is just fucking EVIL.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 02.18.2007 03:58 PM

I really want to get into this band. Is Children of God the best place to start?

k-krack 02.18.2007 04:04 PM

I ordered some Swans stuff at a store a long time ago. The store closed before it came in...:(

Trasher02 02.18.2007 04:44 PM

Swans are awesome, don't own an album of them though.

HairwayToSteven 02.19.2007 11:28 AM

I absolutely adore the Swans. Children of God is definitely a good album for anyone new to the band. I recently got Various Failures and it has some really amazing stuff on there, that might be one to start with as well.

LittlePuppetBoy 02.19.2007 08:03 PM

To be honest, I didn't really think mush of Children of God at first (I was expecting the noisy Swans). But I have to say it has grown on me. Plus I like the World of Skin material quite a bit.

sun city girl 02.20.2007 07:02 AM

children of god is my fave swans lp.

Everyneurotic 11.24.2007 06:33 PM

i'm making a mixcd-r and was listening to my inclusion of "i crawled" and was fucking moved by that song so, in honour of that amazing song, i bump this thread so we can talk about swans.

they were so amazing...

king_buzzo 11.24.2007 07:10 PM

i only have the s/t one. its bloody great.

props to swans.

IntoTheGroovey 11.24.2007 07:12 PM

Swans fucking rule. Best- Various Failures. I wish I could find the original albums, all I have is a cd of Burning World. Children of God and Soundtrack for the Blind are also heavenly.

Everyneurotic 11.24.2007 07:18 PM

i'm actually surprised a lot of you are not into or plainly don't know the early glory of filth, cop, young god and all their early devastating glory days.

LittlePuppetBoy 11.24.2007 11:39 PM

I love Filth, one of my current favourite albums. Blackout kicks absolute ass.

el duderino 11.25.2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm making a mixcd-r and was listening to my inclusion of "i crawled" and was fucking moved by that song so, in honour of that amazing song, i bump this thread so we can talk about swans.

they were so amazing...

Have you heard the live version of 'I Crawled' on Swans Are Dead? Its a lot different but I think I like it better than the original.

The Great Annihilator will always be my favourite Swans - its combines all their elements into one amazing package. Omniscience is also one of the best live albums I own!

sonicl 11.25.2007 06:32 AM

Have you heard Body Lovers / Body Haters, every-n? There's every chance it might be right up your alley.

Florya 11.25.2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm actually surprised a lot of you are not into or plainly don't know the early glory of filth, cop, young god and all their early devastating glory days.

My first introduction to Swans was the 12" 'Raping a Slave'.
The very next day I went back to the record shop and bought 'Filth' and 'Cop'.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I much prefer the early 'noisy' Swans. Their gig at the Zap in Brighton was the loudest, most intense performance I have ever witnessed.

atsonicpark 11.25.2007 07:52 AM

i like white light in the mouth of infinity the best, for whatever reason.