Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The worst thing about Christmas (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8497)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.28.2006 07:40 PM

The worst thing about Christmas

Relatives who are bigger indie-rock snobs than you are who are older than you and have a bigger music collection than you do who want you to pick them out a CD.

My oldest sister is like that. Although the Gary Wilson CD I got her for her birthday a few years ago was a big hit.

This year I've played it safe, I got her a book that she wants to read.

Norma J 11.28.2006 07:43 PM

Books are a great present.

EMMAh 11.28.2006 07:44 PM

I hate looking for presents because nothing is ever good enough for who I'm buying for.
This year I bought my best friend sketch pencils and a sketch book. How boring is that? Sure she likes to draw but I'm wondering now if she'll even use them.

Norma J 11.28.2006 07:46 PM

That's why you don't buy friends presents. It creates a mundane excercise which you both don't care fore, but still continue to do. Girls are big on this, I never understood why. They go through the hassle of buying a present for most of their friends when they really don't want to, and really shouldn't be.

Glice 11.28.2006 07:58 PM

The worst thing about Christmas, in fact, is THE SAME FUCKING 6 FUCKING SHIT AWFUL FUCKING SONGS THAT ARE FUCKING PLAYED IN EVERY FUCKING SHOP THAT I FUCKING WELL FUCKING GO FUCKING INTO.

I'm angry about it already.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 11.28.2006 08:00 PM

my friends and i just exchange silly gifts and shit
sometimes the chronic can be a wonderful present
i dont really put much thought into gifts unless its for someone i really care about
bought my girlfriend a chanel cuff bracelet for christmas
similar to this one

im pretty sure she'll like it, but girls are super picky about this kind of shit
keeping the reciept just incase

CHOUT 11.28.2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Relatives who are bigger indie-rock snobs than you are who are older than you and have a bigger music collection than you do who want you to pick them out a CD.

My oldest sister is like that. Although the Gary Wilson CD I got her for her birthday a few years ago was a big hit.

This year I've played it safe, I got her a book that she wants to read.

Believe me, it's nicer than having a buncha mullet-headed mechanic cousins/relatives that you have NOTHING in common with. Its like as soon as they hit 18, theire moustaches suddenly appeared.

Savage Clone 11.28.2006 08:39 PM

For me, the worst thing about Christmas is knowing that while I am having a nice visit with my fairly hip parents, a good friend of mine will be elsewhere sitting at a family table with a lit up birthday cake with candles on it that says "HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS" in the frosting.

No, wait. That's what I love most about Christmas!

pokkeherrie 11.28.2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
The worst thing about Christmas, in fact, is THE SAME FUCKING 6 FUCKING SHIT AWFUL FUCKING SONGS THAT ARE FUCKING PLAYED IN EVERY FUCKING SHOP THAT I FUCKING WELL FUCKING GO FUCKING INTO.

I'm angry about it already.

very true.

i'm still having nightmares from when i did some december holiday work somewhere many years ago. each day they had a loud playing radio tuned to one of those stations that plays the same 15 fucking songs every fucking hour, just only in a slightly different order each time.

from the dozen of christmas songs there were a few tunes that particularly pissed me off, like mariah carey's "all i want for christmas..." and paul mccartney's "wonderful christmas time". it was so bad that it was almost a relief when they played band aid or wham instead. :rolleyes:

pokkeherrie 11.28.2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
No, wait. That's what I love most about Christmas!

More than the joyous sacrificing of goats during christmas dinner with an entirely caped Clone family?

Everyneurotic 11.28.2006 08:56 PM

i hate everything about christmas.

EDIT::.pokkeherrie: Ha

EMMAh 11.28.2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
That's why you don't buy friends presents. It creates a mundane excercise which you both don't care fore, but still continue to do. Girls are big on this, I never understood why. They go through the hassle of buying a present for most of their friends when they really don't want to, and really shouldn't be.

Hahaha, this isn't a "friend" though. This is my thought twin bonded instantly best friend.
I just suck at buying presents.

EMMAh 11.28.2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
my friends and i just exchange silly gifts and shit
sometimes the chronic can be a wonderful present
i dont really put much thought into gifts unless its for someone i really care about
bought my girlfriend a chanel cuff bracelet for christmas
similar to this one

im pretty sure she'll like it, but girls are super picky about this kind of shit
keeping the reciept just incase

Fuck returning it. If she doesn't want it I'll have it. It's pretty :D

drrrtyboots 11.28.2006 10:10 PM

Merry Christmas!!

EMMAh 11.28.2006 10:12 PM

I would probably get bored of that thing in about an hour. I don't have the energy to flail my arms around all day.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.28.2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J

Yeah really. If you want to get a gift for a friend, throw a party and do a secret santa.

I just get presents for people that I spend Christmas day with.

EMMAh 11.28.2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Yeah really. If you want to get a gift for a friend, throw a party and do a secret santa.

I just get presents for people that I spend Christmas day with.

Secret Santa sucks balls. I did it last year with some good friends and their good friends. Ended up getting someone I hardly knew.

Anngella 11.28.2006 10:54 PM

I find it sad that people are ONLY generous during Christmas, because they feel obliged to otherwise they'd be call cunts. Why can't people donate to charity in the middle of June?

Another thing I dislike about the holiday: getting ugly clothes that I hate from my Aunt who I'm not particularly fond of.

towelie 11.28.2006 11:28 PM

The worst thing about Christmas is not
having family and friends to sit around the christmas tree with while passing out presents and getting high.

Oh yeah, and not having any towels around to wipe up the knocked over eggnog.

I was created by a laboratory so I don't have any family.

So I hope you all will be my friends.

towelie 11.28.2006 11:48 PM

WooHoo!! Yeah!

Can we get high, too?