Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Velvet Underground thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13131)

Derek 08.16.2007 09:00 AM

I thought Moe Tucker was deceased?

Anyway, I obtained Loaded a few weeks ago and I love the pop feel to it, it's a nice change.

Glice 08.16.2007 09:37 AM

I just stared at this for far too long.

Cantankerous 08.16.2007 09:49 AM

not my fault.

Glice 08.16.2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
not my fault.

Well, you're going to have to take the blame for something m'dear, and if it's not that picture then I'm afraid that it is entirely your fault that u2 exist. FACT.

Cantankerous 08.16.2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Well, you're going to have to take the blame for something m'dear, and if it's not that picture then I'm afraid that it is entirely your fault that u2 exist. FACT.

fair enough, i suppose i've done enough damage around these parts that it's only logical for me to take the fall for that one.

Glice 08.16.2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
fair enough, i suppose i've done enough damage around these parts that it's only logical for me to take the fall for that one.

I hope where you say 'parts' above refers to your lower-torso rather than this board.

Cantankerous 08.16.2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I hope where you say 'parts' above refers to your lower-torso rather than this board.

in your sweet dreams.

king_buzzo 08.16.2007 02:47 PM

Guys, uhh, how come record stores dont have a lot of VU stuff? I mean, here, theres nothing, in holland theres only the first one, i mean, wtf...

Norma J 08.16.2007 05:36 PM

You don't want the 'first one'?

sarramkrop 08.17.2007 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
Guys, uhh, how come record stores dont have a lot of VU stuff? I mean, here, theres nothing, in holland theres only the first one, i mean, wtf...

Are you seriously saying that in the whole of Holland they haven't got any VU records apart from the first one? It's really hard to believe, and in fact I don't.

king_buzzo 08.17.2007 03:59 AM

well, sorry, that was a dumb thing to say, i meant local stores didnt have them, which is 2 stores and they've got loads of other forgoten records and stuff.

norma, i've got it, how could anyone not want it?

fugazifan 08.17.2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

well, sorry, that was a dumb thing to say, i meant local stores didnt have them, which is 2 stores and they've got loads of other forgoten records and stuff.

go to Concerto in amsterdam, its a fine fine record store...

i just listened to WLWH for the billionth time, brilliant!

sarramkrop 08.17.2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Can you not ask the person behind the counter to order it for you?

Glice 08.17.2007 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Surely it's much easier to complain?

On that note, I had the chappy in the town my parents live who runs a really banal record store for locals order in the MIA album at, apparently, quite a degree of effort on his part. Being OOP he rang around a few friends' stores to see if anyone had any copies on their shelves. Good work, record store clerk.

king_buzzo 08.17.2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop

yes, but it just confused me how none of the other cds were in the shops.

Norma J 08.17.2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

That's why I was asking.
It's a fantastic record.

sarramkrop 09.26.2007 12:06 PM

MANUALI ROCK - VELVET UNDERGROUND
---
Arcana Editrice
Interwiew and excerpts from fanzines and magazines.

If you find it, this book has some of the weirdest early Velvet Underground interviews available to read. On one young Cale and Reed talk about how they got into selling their faces to some trashy magazines that would report about fake stories of murderers and rapists. Cale mentions that himself ended up having his photograph on a fake article about a crazy killer who would rape his victims in a stable in the middle of the night. Other interviews have Cale and Reed talking about making music using signals emanated by automatic doors etc. Good stuff.

gmku 09.26.2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

There's scads of factory-sealed 180-gram and colored pressings of almost their whole catalog here at a place called Manifest. I've seen their stuff all over, actually, on CD and vinyl, new.

sarramkrop 09.30.2007 07:48 AM

The Velvet Underground: Loaded

by Lenny Kaye
http://crawdaddy.wolfgangsvault.com/...e.aspx?id=3176

Hello Velvet Underground Collectors:

Here is a link to a Beverly Hills High School yearbook from 1969 I am selling which shows the Velvet Underground in their high school assemblies spread. The year they performed, the school also hosted Hakim Jamal (Malcolm X's cousin) and the writer James Baldwin. In the pics you can see the band sitting on folding chairs in the gym, waiting to perform. Very interesting piece of history.

Thanks,
LISA
ebay id: citymouseart
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140160157457&ssPa geName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=004

sarramkrop 09.30.2007 08:15 AM

This has just been sold in the US thought it might be of interest to all you die hard collectors..

A test pressing of the Velvet Underground's album "Loaded" from the personal collection of their late, great guitarist, Sterling Morrison. We obtained this directly from a member of Sterling's family, and it is about as unique a VU item as one could ever hope to find. In VG condition, the lip of this disc has a tiny warp from a fire at Sterling's in-law's house, where his collection was stored. It plays fine when tracking at 2 grams.

http://akson.sgh.waw.pl/~kg23187/php...pic.php?t=1795