Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Velvet Underground thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13131)

gmku 05.09.2009 09:32 PM

But it's just a damned reissue. Record companies are pissing me off these days.

joe11121 05.09.2009 09:33 PM

Yeah. All albums here are really expensive, so I usually just go to the used record store.

automatic bzooty 05.09.2009 10:08 PM

I'd be ridiculously torn whether or not to peel the peel, tbh. Big decisions. Maybe it's a good thing my copy hasn't got that.

Sonic Youth 37 05.09.2009 10:14 PM

NOT PEEL!!!

automatic bzooty 05.09.2009 10:17 PM

But Andy says peel.

Sonic Youth 37 05.09.2009 10:26 PM

Andy also is dead. Probably because he peeled quickly.

gmku 05.09.2009 10:37 PM

So he died from baring his banana?

automatic bzooty 05.09.2009 10:39 PM

oh, true. he thought he was so edgy because he peeled quickly and didn't even bother to look! psh.

greedrex 05.10.2009 03:27 AM

huh i listened to WLWH for the first time yesterday. I was not impressed at all. weird.

mshawkin 05.10.2009 04:20 AM

I instantly loved WLWH the moment I heard it, which was less than two years ago. I'd say it is a perfect rock album, but it defies classification in my eyes. But that's just me.

The Earl Of Slander 05.10.2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
huh i listened to WLWH for the first time yesterday. I was not impressed at all. weird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex

White Light/White Heat was my first VU album, and I bought it very early in my interest in "out" music, aged only 15. I don't think I've ever hated an album more. Seriously, I just detested it. I remember just being so angry that I'd been duped by the hype into wasting money on 40 minutes of boring and unlistenably distorted garage rock with only one good track (Here She Comes Now) and one other that was half-way enjoyable (White Light/White Heat). I then thought maybe I should give it one more chance before I returned it to the store in exchange for something less horrible (and I never return albums), and I think I liked it even less.

However, I was working at home that week, and couldn’t go the shop until Monday, and something about it was just so horrible that I decided to spin it a couple more times. I just couldn’t believe that something this lacking in any merit could be loved by so many people. Third listen, I still didn’t like it, but I kind of dug on the riffage a little more and guessed I could sort of see the appeal, even though I didn’t get it at all. I’d also been listening to Neil Young’s electric records a lot in that period, so I think that helped draw some links. Based on that tiny kernel of enjoyment, I kept on putting it back on while I worked, determined to get the most out of it before I returned it, and slowly I surprised myself by coming to enjoy it a little more. About 5-6 listens in it really started to click for me, and after that I just kept on listening until I was completely taken over. I just couldn’t believe I hadn’t liked it before. It’s was deliciously blown out and beautiful and melancholy and arty and transcendent and many other things I couldn’t name at that point in my musical education.

It’s now pretty much my favourite record of all time (I flip-flop between WLWH, DDN and Blonde on Blonde), the record I have listened to the most, definitely my favourite VU, and probably the primary reason I’m in to most of the stuff I subsequently came to love, Sonic Youth included. I can’t possibly describe my love for it, or how much I owe to it terms of my musical understanding. Needless to say, I never returned it.

So I suppose the short version of that is: Persevere, it will reward you for it.

greedrex 05.10.2009 07:28 AM

^^ absolutely. I know. I will.

radarmaker 05.10.2009 07:39 AM

Get a copy of the mono version for the ultimate White Light experience. Best enjoyed through good headphones at ear-bleeding volume :)

sarramkrop 05.10.2009 09:16 AM

Anyone would like me to up the 'Reload -The Second Chapter' bootleg LP? It is all made up of Loaded outtakes, and in a few cases they are way better than the versions on the album, 'I Found a Reason' being one of them.

radarmaker 05.10.2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Anyone would like me to up the 'Reload -The Second Chapter' bootleg LP? It is all made up of Loaded outtakes, and in a few cases they are way better than the versions on the album, 'I Found a Reason' being one of them.

That's all the stuff that's on disc 2 of the official Loaded: Fully Loaded Edition, right?

sarramkrop 05.10.2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker
That's all the stuff that's on disc 2 of the official Loaded: Fully Loaded Edition, right?

A few of the tracks are on the reissue of Loaded, but there a few that I'm sure are not. I don't have that version of the record, so I need to check.

The Earl Of Slander 05.10.2009 04:12 PM

"I Found a Reason" is definitely one of my favourite songs from Loaded (which is my least favourite Velvet's LP by a mile, a few tracks aside). Basically that, "Rock and Roll", "Sweet Jane" and "Oh Sweet Nothing" are what keeps me listening to that record. "I Found..." also makes fucking sweet post-sex music.

radarmaker 06.09.2009 01:37 PM

Just seen this posted elsewhere - a newly-surfaced 17-minute Warhol segment from a 1966 WNET TV show that includes slightly more Velvets than the short audio extract that can be found on bootlegs, and in better quality too :)

http://72.232.122.215/episode/show/744

Satan 06.09.2009 01:39 PM

i'm grooving like a motherfucker to foggy notion

radarmaker 06.09.2009 01:40 PM

Do it again.