Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bike Ridin'!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=401)

RIPfrey05 03.28.2006 05:32 PM

Bike Ridin'!!!

WHEY
Bike riding is surely the funnest and most relaxing activity ever!!
Down here in the heart of Virginia (swamps,fiddles, and wine) its just about the most beautiful and liberating experience one can have.. theres miles of awesome offroad trails and the weather is BEAST PERFECTION right now!
also, i just got a new bike (Specialized, YESSSS) but seriously theres nothing better than the rush you get on some scary downroad chaos..whos with me on this?!

chabib 03.28.2006 05:37 PM

i'm with you. i've been riding 20-50 miles a day all winter.

Savage Clone 03.28.2006 05:39 PM

I love it.
I once went over the handlebars mountain biking...
Picked gravel out of my face pulped a muscle in my leg, cracked ribs, two severely sprained arms, possible hairline fracture in shin, couldn't walk for 3 weeks.
Good times.
I sort of lost my nerve a little after that.
I must have been in shock a little though, because I somehow rode home.

RIPfrey05 03.28.2006 05:42 PM

Ive had a fractured elbow (technical name unknown) and a totally fucking smashed collar bone.. that sucked!!!

chabib 03.28.2006 05:43 PM

i did that (over the bars onto my face) in the middle of times square in january--in traffic at around 30 mph.

Savage Clone 03.28.2006 05:43 PM

I still love it, even though I have crashed a lot.

RIPfrey05 03.28.2006 05:48 PM

Ive gone over the bars quite a few times, but i never come out too badly hurt.
I also got hit by a retard on a cell phone going like 60 in a residential zone.. i was fine even though i was flipped into the fucking air and did about a 270.

golden child 03.28.2006 06:01 PM

bike to school everyday, bike anywhere else i go in town too. we dont have those cool trails and shit though. just normal suburban america

i did critical mass for awhile too, that is mega fun

finding nobody 03.28.2006 06:07 PM

i was into riding my bike when i was a kid. but i just recently picked one up and rode it. that was fun. i went way fast all the way down my road!

Toilet & Bowels 03.28.2006 06:25 PM

i'd like to ride a bike around, but i don't trust myself to not get killed in the london traffic.

chabib 03.28.2006 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golden child
bike to school everyday, bike anywhere else i go in town too. we dont have those cool trails and shit though. just normal suburban america

i did critical mass for awhile too, that is mega fun

i do CM in new york--which, if you haven't heard, involves police chases which include: the cops driving SUV's thru crowds of cyclists, then stopping short and opening their doors into oncoming cyclists; cops on motorscooters who will t-bone and/or intentionally collide with yr wheels to damage yr bike and cuse you to wreck; cops with safety netting who run out of nowhere to net off intersections and tackle cyclists; car and motorcycle chases of cyclists against oncoming traffic and on sidewalks; surveilance by multiple police helicopters; undercover NYPD agent provocateurs who try to get the mass to ride down the FDR Drvie and west side drive; cops with portable angle grinders who illegally cut the lock off of yr bike if you lock up and get away by foot or are at an afterparty; arrests/jail time for traffic violations; etc.

krastian 03.28.2006 06:41 PM

Yeah man, I have always loved to ride my bike.

chabib 03.28.2006 06:48 PM

i have 3 track bikes, a BMX bike and a folding bike.

krastian 03.28.2006 06:52 PM

I have an old black Schwinn BMX style bike.......I honestly don't know shit about them.

Savage Clone 03.28.2006 06:52 PM

I have a single speed freewheel w/ 1 brake, a regular 21 speed mountain bike and a very cool late 60s Robin Hood 3 speed.

chabib 03.28.2006 06:54 PM

one has a front brake. oddly enough, that's the one that put me in the hospital--because of the brake.

brakes on track bikes are dangerous. besides you can modulate yr speed really well by skipping, skidding or using back pressure on the drivetrain. you can also grab the front wheel with yr hand to stop in a pinch.

Savage Clone 03.28.2006 06:56 PM

Do you have tall bikes where you live, chabib? Those are big with the punk types here, where they weld a few frames together...

chabib 03.28.2006 06:58 PM

yeah. i have a couple of friends in the black label bike gang. they make 'em for jousting and fun.

Phlegmscope 03.28.2006 06:59 PM

Back in the elementary school days, about 11-12 years old I was quite into mountain biking, but I guess it was more like child's play than a real hobby, although I spend a lot of time browsing through mtb magazines.
One day my bikes safety lock got frosen and the key got stuck in, I kicked the fucker and the key snapped. So my bike's been in the bike shelter locked for over five years.
when I move to another city I'd like to get a new bike and get back into it I think.

chabib 03.28.2006 07:01 PM

as long as it isn't a kryptonite NY lock, you can cut it with a hacksaw. if it's a krypto, you can do it with an angle grinder.