Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Raconteurs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1709)

fishmonkey 05.10.2006 11:28 AM

The Raconteurs

has anyone hard the new album "broken boy soilders" by Jack White and Brendan Benson's petite projecte a la side?

well worth a listen if yr a Stripes/B Benson fan..

DemonBox 05.10.2006 11:32 AM

I'm gonna see them this summer at the Quart festival in Norway, and i cant fucking wait! They rock in Nirvana meets Cat Stevens style:D

finding nobody 05.10.2006 03:20 PM

i love the white stripes (duh! look at my avatar)
and the only brendan benson cd i have is 'lapalco' but it's very good. i've heard the racontuers single, sounds awesome. can't wait for the cd (it doesnt come out till May 16th in the us.)

but i will be buying it the say it comes out for sure

terminal pharmacy 05.10.2006 05:42 PM

in australia they have to change thei name to saboteurs, because there is already a band herre called the raquontuers.... but i have two of the australian pressed seven inches with the raq sleeve before the change, $$ in a few years

Richard Pryor on Fire 05.10.2006 06:28 PM

Wyrd, I heard the single and thought it was ok, Jim Jarmush does the video. I heard they suck live though which is suprising cuz that's where Jack White normally shines.

DemonBox 05.11.2006 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Pryor on Fire
Wyrd, I heard the single and thought it was ok, Jim Jarmush does the video. I heard they suck live though which is suprising cuz that's where Jack White normally shines.

Yeah, man. All live footage i have seen of Jack White has been amazing. Mabye when they play live together some more they will get better live. At least i hope they're good when i'm going to see them...

finding nobody 05.11.2006 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonBox
Yeah, man. All live footage i have seen of Jack White has been amazing. Mabye when they play live together some more they will get better live. At least i hope they're good when i'm going to see them...

yes, the stripes are one of the best live bands ever. they don't use set lists and they throw out tons non-album tracks. but jack said the racontuers will use setlists. but i guess thats way harder to pull off in a four peice band

fishmonkey 05.11.2006 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
in australia they have to change thei name to saboteurs, because there is already a band herre called the raquontuers.... but i have two of the australian pressed seven inches with the raq sleeve before the change, $$ in a few years

ooooohh nice, that will be worth some ching in time, you lucky bastard, hear about that name change also, mad! ahh little Jack, he's so understanding

youthoftomorrow 05.12.2006 12:04 AM

i like the single. i might buy the album, but my list is getting pretty long.

i saw the White Stripes last summer and they ruled.

my name is Brendan.

fishmonkey 05.12.2006 05:00 AM

the album is good, although it dies away at the end, i think the last 2 songs are a bit dodgy.

finding nobody 06.20.2006 03:27 PM

broken boy soldiers is a awesome cd. my only complaint is that the cd is only like 30 minutes long.

i give it 4.5 out of 5

Macaulay Culkin 06.20.2006 03:28 PM

I underestimated it at first, but after listening to it, it's an honestly great album.

m^a(t)h 06.20.2006 03:31 PM

the guitar in their songs is the most annoying thing ive ever heard...

finding nobody 06.20.2006 03:47 PM

the organ in 'store bought bones' is one of coolest things i've ever heard.
aside from that the song pwns

DemonBox 06.21.2006 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
the organ in 'store bought bones' is one of coolest things i've ever heard.
aside from that the song pwns

Oh yeah, that song really hits me.

And, yeah, I think the album is great, some really good tunes. Especially Levels, that one is burning. But I must disagree with fishmonkey, I like Blue Veins, but Call It a Day kinda dies after the first 5-6 listenings.

val-holla-ing 06.21.2006 11:55 AM

i don't think i like them. they're kinda like a supergroup made up of people no one cares about.

No Star 06.21.2006 11:59 AM

The reaction to the Raconteurs is great cause people are like afraid of the fact that its not really a sell out at all. (The White Stripes) got out of hand and people expected the hype to cary on but i dont know about the USA but here they have done like one interview and it wasnt long at all. I like em personally im a sucker for Brendon Benson though so..?

"Hands" and "Call It A Day" are my favourite on the album.

DemonBox 06.21.2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
the guitar in their songs is the most annoying thing ive ever heard...

Why?

nomadicfollower 06.21.2006 12:08 PM

I can't seem to get into Broken Boy Soldiers...It's not bad, it just sounds so...mainstream, tried and copied.

m^a(t)h 06.21.2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonBox
Why?

its just rock i hear every single fucking day