Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the keiji haino praising thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9994)

voided 08.29.2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat and beard
Until I get bored and want to go somewhere else. Which may never happen.

I'd say Tokyo is about the only place on the planet i feel you can see better music that i can see live .. sonds fantastic.. you mind is i ask what kind of job you have over there waiting for you??

afterthefact 08.29.2007 06:33 PM

I had one album and I didn't really like it (I don't even remember what it was now) but I decided to give him another shot and got "Affection" and I love it. And even with these experiences, I wouldn't consider him a hit or miss by any means, I've loved anything else I have heard. I wish I could remember what that album was that I didn't like though. :)

afterthefact 08.29.2007 07:34 PM

This is what I hate about long threads. I read the first post, post something actually related to the thread, only to find out that somwhere in the 5 pages the topic of discussion has GREATLY deviated, making my post stand out like a sore thumb and interrupting someboy's conversation. Bunch of jerks; not that I care.

hat and beard 08.29.2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voided
I'd say Tokyo is about the only place on the planet i feel you can see better music that i can see live .. sonds fantastic.. you mind is i ask what kind of job you have over there waiting for you??

I was accepted into the Jet Program and was originally going to go with them, but I was recentely offered a Job by a private English language school that pays better and will place me where I want, so I'm going to work for them.
It's actually quite easy to get a teaching job in Japan as long as you're a native speaker of English and hold a 4 year degree.

Everyneurotic 08.29.2007 10:08 PM

incidentally, i'm wearing my haino shirt today.

Toilet & Bowels 08.29.2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
It was at The Spitz earlier this year (think it was in January) - he did a two-day thing there, one day playing w/Chris Corsano, and t'other day playing solo.

that was september last year, it was right before i moved house. time flies!

Toilet & Bowels 08.29.2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

I was accepted into the Jet Program and was originally going to go with them, but I was recentely offered a Job by a private English language school that pays better and will place me where I want, so I'm going to work for them.
It's actually quite easy to get a teaching job in Japan as long as you're a native speaker of English and hold a 4 year degree.

nova, eon?

i'm thinking about applying to one of those but i'm not sure if i want to live abroad at the moment. i'd like to spend a year in osaka though.

voided 09.03.2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

seems to be a lot of those jobs out there

MellySingsDoom 09.03.2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I remember I finished my job the Friday before that gig, which makes it somewhere in the September/ October/ November time, depending on the accuracy of my CV.

Hey, Mr Melly, you were at the same gig as myself, Iain, T&B AND Marras. Small world etc. I was the drunk one.

Yeah, small world indeedy. I wasn't drunk (for once), but do recall being with a mate of mine making pisspoor jokes about black metal groups. Seeing as I got the month of the gig only about 3 months wrong, I think it's good evidence that my senility's kicking in nicely.

hat and beard 09.04.2007 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
nova, eon?

i'm thinking about applying to one of those but i'm not sure if i want to live abroad at the moment. i'd like to spend a year in osaka though.

GEOS. I would avoid Nova if I were you. The ship is sinking. Plus the pay is shit.

_slavo_ 11.06.2007 06:03 AM

In his Bratislava gig, he combined AirFX action with guitar improv and some screaming. And the guitar part was undoubtly the best one.

scott v 11.06.2007 03:25 PM

Haino is great but Takayanagi is better... the godfather of japanese free improv noise guitar.

Glice 11.06.2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
Haino is great but Takayanagi is better... the godfather of japanese free improv noise guitar.

Contentious... Takayangi is brilliant, but I can't help but feel that he's at his best with Abe, and not essential always (and, obviously, dead now). I take it you've heard his protege Imai? He's a ridiculously, absurdly amazing player. Sickening really, and I nearly never say that about a guitarist.

It's all fun and games and stuff and also things.

Toilet & Bowels 11.07.2007 03:03 PM

yeah, takayanagi probably is "better" but i prefer haino

hat and bread 03.19.2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FORCED EXPOSURE

Artist: KUDO, REIKO Title: Licking Up Dust Label: HYOTAN RECORDS (JAPAN) Format: CD Price: $23.00 Catalog #: HYOTAN 003CD "Newest release on Tori and Reiko Kudo's (Maher Shalal Hash Baz/Noise/etc.) in-house label. Backing Reiko this time around are Tori Kudo (organ, guitar), Teruki Tamayanagi (bass) and Keiji Haino (guitar, drums and vocals). 'There are two songs about mountains, a song about butterflies and chestnut and loquat and so on.' --Reiko Kudo."

think I'll pick this up soon.

pbradley 03.19.2008 01:00 AM

What would be a good Haino introduction?

✌➬ 03.19.2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

I always ask myself that question.

Toilet & Bowels 03.19.2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley

if you're looking to get in to haino i'd say start with fushitsusha. these three first:

untitled/first PSF3/4

untitled/second live PSF 15/16

Hisou (Pathetique) PSF50

they're some of the more easily available and also among his best work

Glice 06.13.2008 08:36 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rG7gpI-Rirc

Haino playing on some absolute turd.

Toilet & Bowels 06.13.2008 08:59 AM

insane!