Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Murray Street (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10177)

Derek 01.30.2007 02:23 PM

What track is Karenology? o__O

Rob Instigator 01.30.2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Yeah, I'd love to have a vinyl collection. It'd be so classy.

Though I'm 14, so I was growing up when CD's were new and cassettes were the 'in' thing.

hey derek, we all started somewhere man.
check local record stores if you are fortunate enough to have one near you and see how much a used turntable costs. You can get a decent one for around $60-$80 ussually.
used record bins are between $1-$8 ussually, with most used records falling around $3.50 a piece.
lots of older classics to be gotten.

every "collection" begins with something. my vinyl collection started when i was 9 and I bougth Pyromania back in 1982-83.
ha!

Hip Priest 01.30.2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

What track is Karenology? o__O

^ Karen Revisited:

...after the artwork for Murray Street had been finalized (yet prior to its release, I believe), Lee decided he preferred the title "KARENOLOGY" and the song's title was officially changed for all purposes other than, uh, the album release. (see here)

Danny Himself 01.30.2007 02:25 PM

'Karen Revisited'. Lee changed it's name before the release but it was too late as the artwork had all been finalized. It's referred to as 'Karenology' by most.

Derek 01.30.2007 02:32 PM

Ah right, I understand what it is now. I've only heard it been called Karen Revisited (as that's what it's called on my disc).

Quote:

hey derek, we all started somewhere man.
check local record stores if you are fortunate enough to have one near you and see how much a used turntable costs. You can get a decent one for around $60-$80 ussually.
used record bins are between $1-$8 ussually, with most used records falling around $3.50 a piece.
lots of older classics to be gotten.

every "collection" begins with something. my vinyl collection started when i was 9 and I bougth Pyromania back in 1982-83.
ha!
Yeah, I think my parents have a vinyl player up in the attic. I have some vinyls that sit there on the shelf (like a signed version of Iron Maiden's Powerslave even though I don't listen to them and an old Killing Joke vinyl).

I'd absolute kill for a Daydream Nation and VU&Nico vinyl.

Rob Instigator 01.30.2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Ah right, I understand what it is now. I've only heard it been called Karen Revisited (as that's what it's called on my disc).

Yeah, I think my parents have a vinyl player up in the attic. I have some vinyls that sit there on the shelf (like a signed version of Iron Maiden's Powerslave even though I don't listen to them and an old Killing Joke vinyl).

I understand fully

that signed Powerslave could get you BUCKS on the ebay, lots of old metalheads are trying to buy back their metal youth man.
I got a friend who would cream for it

porkmarras 01.30.2007 03:38 PM

Murray Street is the last SY album 'proper' that i truly loved.I have much less time for the other two than i first thought i'd have.The day i bought Sonic Nurse and put it on i was so disappointed i didn't talk to anyone on that day.I've officially entered a 'sceptical mode' with the very fact that they are still going on as a band.Hopefully(and i really hope that) they will prove me wrong.In the meantime there is so much other stuff to get all excited about.

k-krack 01.30.2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

I found my VU+Nico record brand-new at (the now deceased)local record shop... So I assume it's in some form in print on vinyl? Just look round local stores, go often, etc. Yr boung to find some awesome stuff.

lalie 01.30.2007 04:38 PM

If you like Murray Street then you'll like that:

www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb020826sonic_youth

Tokolosh 01.30.2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Murray Street is the last SY album 'proper' that i truly loved.I have much less time for the other two than i first thought i'd have.The day i bought Sonic Nurse and put it on i was so disappointed i didn't talk to anyone on that day.I've officially entered a 'sceptical mode' with the very fact that they are still going on as a band.Hopefully(and i really hope that) they will prove me wrong.In the meantime there is so much other stuff to get all excited about.

That's quite honest, even though I disagree with Nurse being disappointing.
I think it's one of their best and to me it's Jim's best contribution to SY, as far as an album is concerned.

Derek 01.30.2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I understand fully

that signed Powerslave could get you BUCKS on the ebay, lots of old metalheads are trying to buy back their metal youth man.
I got a friend who would cream for it

My mother bought me it when she was going round the markets. I might put it on eBay and see what it goes for.

Quote:

I found my VU+Nico record brand-new at (the now deceased)local record shop... So I assume it's in some form in print on vinyl? Just look round local stores, go often, etc. Yr boung to find some awesome stuff.
Since it's a very popular record I'd assume it would be easy to find.

EvdWee 01.30.2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
That's quite honest, even though I disagree with Nurse being disappointing.
I think it's one of their best and to me it's Jim's best contribution to SY, as far as an album is concerned.

agree

porkmarras 01.30.2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvdWee
agree

You only agree with each other because you're both dutch.

EvdWee 01.30.2007 06:46 PM

hehe, maybe, who knows :)

jealous?

porkmarras 01.30.2007 06:49 PM

No.I was just kidding,you see?no point in being humorous on the internet.

nomowish 09.14.2007 01:24 PM

KAREN REVISITED is the best on the album. The 2nd half of it should have been extended. As it is it's a brief 11 minutes. Actually the instrumental-only part is only 7 or 8 minutes. Where did that sonic fog come from?

atsonicpark 09.14.2007 01:35 PM

sonic fog? it's just a mixing board solo.

Malcolm81 09.14.2007 05:30 PM

Definitely their best album of this decade (so far). Sonic Nurse is close, though. I love the way Murray Street sounds, and there's a great balance of noise and melody, not a single weak moment, and - in my opinion - 45 minutes is just perfect. Compared to Sonic Nurse, it feels more cohesive, more like an album. Sonic Nurse often feels like a collection of songs to me.

ArthurDoyleHandCream 09.16.2007 09:08 AM

Overall, Rather Ripped and Sonic Nurse have better songs than Murray Street. But it's good for a change and also comes with some great cover art.

pbradley 09.16.2007 04:13 PM

I believe I prefer Murray Street over Rather Ripped and Sonic Nurse. The only downside to the album is the rather lengthy last two-thirds of Karen Revisited.