Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's the best track on the Murray Street LP? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=254)

Hip Priest 03.25.2006 12:28 PM

What's the best track on the Murray Street LP?

It's the finest LP ever, by anyone, in my book. It's perfect from first note to last, etc etc etc.

And it's got less than ten tracks, which makes it poll friendly!

I'm using the CD tracklisting, not the vinyl. If that causes you a problem then PM me or something, get it on as they say.

nomadicfollower 03.25.2006 12:44 PM

My favorite LP (except for the length of Disconnection Notice).
Tough choice, but Rain on Tin has to be it.

schizophrenicroom 03.25.2006 12:49 PM

Karen Revisited.

o o o 03.25.2006 12:52 PM

i'd say rain on tin

Hip Priest 03.25.2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o o o
i'd say rain on tin

Good choice.

Hope you had a nice birthday.

soapbars 03.25.2006 12:58 PM

sympathy for the strawberry is my all time fave kim song and the highlight of ms for me,

Kannibal 03.25.2006 12:58 PM

after Karen Revisited SY hasn't done much interesting sounds.

dazedcola 03.25.2006 01:02 PM

Does anyone have any bootlegs from the murray street tour ? I heard them do "disconnection notice" live last year and i thought it sounded much better than the record version. It seems like when SY took the songs live they really expanded upon them, giving it a new feel. Help anyone ?

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 03.25.2006 01:02 PM

Damn, that's a toughie. I enjoy all the songs quite a bit...I guess my favorite is "Karen Revisited". Although "Sympathy for the Strawberry" and "Disconnection Notice" come in a close 2nd and 3rd.

Adult-Daypass 03.25.2006 01:03 PM

I always thought Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style was an amazing song..

Everyneurotic 03.25.2006 01:05 PM

rain on tin

i have fond memories of them streching the song to infinity on the nurse tour

noumenal 03.25.2006 01:05 PM

I voted for Rain on Tin, Sympathy for the Strawberry is a close second.

o o o 03.25.2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Good choice.

Hope you had a nice birthday.

yes, it actually was a very good day, thanks!
how come several of you noticed it was my birthday? did you happen to click on my name to investigate on me or was it written somewhere on the board?

jon boy 03.25.2006 01:19 PM

its written on the board. its at the bottom when you log in.

i like the german traffic light pic btw.

badgercorn 03.25.2006 01:23 PM

I like Rain on Tin but wouldn't have said it's the best song on the record, I vote Sympathy for the Strawberry

Trasher02 03.25.2006 01:35 PM

Radical adults lick godhead style...
i can't understand that everyone thinks murray street is better then sonic nurse.murray street is a great album but not one of my favorites to be completely honest

o o o 03.25.2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
its written on the board. its at the bottom when you log in.

i like the german traffic light pic btw.

ah, ok... i did not log in yesterday, so i did not notice...

as you might now, this traffic light is the eastern german version... after the reunification, they wanted ex-Eastern Germany to adopt the western version (or the EU version), but there were apparently some protests to keep the nice little fella... in Berlin, you only see it in the ex-eastern part of the city...

Toxa 03.25.2006 01:43 PM

Karen Revisited

Hip Priest 03.25.2006 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o o o
ah, ok... i did not log in yesterday, so i did not notice...

as you might now, this traffic light is the eastern german version... after the reunification, they wanted ex-Eastern Germany to adopt the western version (or the EU version), but there were apparently some protests to keep the nice little fella... in Berlin, you only see it in the ex-eastern part of the city...

Right, no offence intended, this just struck me:

The (capitialist) West German chap is proud and strong, clearly, and has pupose to his stride. He looks forwards to the future. he matters to his govenment.

The (communist) East German man is small (ie in the eyes of the state) and wears a rustic hat, and his lowly status in the eyes of the authorities is further represented by him looking (raising his hand) upwards.

The EU person is bland and featureless. He's a no-one in the eyes of the state, his individuality goes unrecognised. And he has a bizarre walk.

Am I way off the mark?

(I like the East German sign, by the way, I just see propaganda in all of them!)

samuel 03.25.2006 02:05 PM

easyyy to choose for me