Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   how many times have you seen sy live? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24081)

bubblegum 08.17.2008 11:03 AM

once in st.petersburg

al shabbray 08.17.2008 11:06 AM

does anybody know if its troublesome to get a visa inside russia for a german?

bubblegum 08.17.2008 11:23 AM

no its not very problematic.
you need only some money and a little time(it gets something around 2 weeks).

al shabbray 08.17.2008 11:24 AM

thats fine, how about the money?
my grandma wants to see her hometown again, and that is near königsberg, dunno how its english/polish name is, but its in a russian sector. and I am trying to manage how to get their with her by car.
do we need travel passes or are standard passports enough?

bubblegum 08.17.2008 11:39 AM

im from estonia and here visa prices depends on how long you will stay in russia.its somewhere between 40 - 100 euros.i think standard passport and visa is enough.

Toxa 08.17.2008 11:40 AM

I saw SY only once, in Moscow last year. it was very cool and I want more!!

bubblegum 08.17.2008 11:41 AM

i recommend you to get some information from russian embassy

al shabbray 08.17.2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegum
im from estonia and here visa prices depends on how long you will stay in russia.its somewhere between 40 - 100 euros.i think standard passport and visa is enough.

thanks again for that info, I will go to the information next week, and will try to get exact information, but thats some news I can tell my grandma in a few hours while eating. she will be happy bout it :)

bubblegum 08.17.2008 11:48 AM

youre welcome:)

Kallisti23chaos 08.18.2008 09:25 PM

4 times

choc e-Claire 03.06.2019 06:35 PM

Zero times, one that'll forever be that. :cry:

SonicSleuth 03.07.2019 10:57 PM

Twice:

At the Trocadero in Philadelphia touring Murray Street

At Penn's Landing in Philadelphia opening for Wilco and touring Sonic Nurse. And as much as I like Wilco, I think the wrong band was headlining.

_slavo_ 03.08.2019 03:07 AM

6 times altogether:

-Washington DC
-Prague, Czech Republic
-Vienna, Austria
-Krems, Austria
-London, England
-Minehead, England

musicplatypus 03.08.2019 03:25 AM

Once. And I was late. Car battery died. Still made it. Soon after I arrived Schizophrenia was about the air and I was taken away to a trance-like state. A great performance. The evening closed out with some Death Cab and then some Flaming Lips magic.

Severian 03.10.2019 01:21 PM

I think six times? In 2004, I saw them a few times in a row at venues I frequented, so I get a bit hazy on the specifics from that period. More than five, less than 10.

Seen them more than any bands except for Modest Mokse and Sleater-Kinney, both of whom I’ve seen more times than I can remember with any degree of certainty.

*shrug*

Favorite show was on the Nurse tour.. Oh goodness. Sober as a judge, too, I was. Godlike.

d.sound 03.10.2019 05:09 PM

Like 12? Don't remember exactly.

A two nighter in DC in 2000.

My friend and I followed them deadhead style for several shows in 2003:
Pittsburgh, Lexington (or was it Louisville?) KY, st louis, indianapolis, ohio (columbus for sure but maybe Cincinnati and Cleveland too?)

Then other times:
Chicago, Asheville NC, and the first No Fun Fest with Thurston and Paul Flaherty, and Kim with dj olive, ikue mori, and jim o'rourke.

I think I'm forgetting some. I think columbus again? I know I saw a sonic nurse show.

Severian 03.10.2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.sound
Like 12? Don't remember exactly.

A two nighter in DC in 2000.

My friend and I followed them deadhead style for several shows in 2003:
Pittsburgh, Lexington (or was it Louisville?) KY, st louis, indianapolis, ohio (columbus for sure but maybe Cincinnati and Cleveland too?)

Then other times:
Chicago, Asheville NC, and the first No Fun Fest with Thurston and Paul Flaherty, and Kim with dj olive, ikue mori, and jim o'rourke.

I think I'm forgetting some. I think columbus again? I know I saw a sonic nurse show.

Ohhhh you saw Kim and DJ olive and Ikue Mori? Fucking *jealous* goddamn.

Sometimes people have been really incredulous when I’ve told them I don’t remember how many times I’ve seen a band, but — seriously — I’ve been going to concerts since I’ve was 12, I have lived in cities most of my life, and I have always been an obsessive music fan. I’ve been to hundreds of shows, so fuck... yah, can’t recall with certainty on some of them.

I know I saw them play behind Murray Street, Nurse and Rather Ripped, plus a few festival shows.

But you definitely have me beat. I’m at less than 10 for sure.

!@#$%! 03.10.2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
they better not play a bunch of shit from rather ripped or i will be marching up to thurston moore's doorstep and demanding a refund.

ah, dammit, why the fuck did you leave the board haaa haaahaaa

greenlight 03.11.2019 02:37 AM

between 10 - 15 times, have to count it properly some day.

d.sound 03.11.2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Ohhhh you saw Kim and DJ olive and Ikue Mori? Fucking *jealous* goddamn.

Jim was also playing. I can't remember if it was bass or guitar.
Their set was only about a billion times better than the record.
I recorded it on minidisc but lost it before I could get it onto the computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by severian
Sometimes people have been really incredulous when I’ve told them I don’t remember how many times I’ve seen a band, but — seriously — I’ve been going to concerts since I’ve was 12, I have lived in cities most of my life, and I have always been an obsessive music fan. I’ve been to hundreds of shows, so fuck... yah, can’t recall with certainty on some of them.

Yep. At my age I have seen certain bands several times. Mount Eerie I also saw about a dozen times. Once right before glow pt 2 as the microphones, several times in 2003 and 2004, and sporadically since. His last couple of records are too intense for me.