Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Gookid 06.23.2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Psh. I'm going to read Atlas Shrugged to spite you. Next you'll be telling us Ray Bradbury should be banned from discussion. Communists. :mad:

Note: I'm far to lazy to actually read Atlas Shrugged. It's the thought that counts.

Ray Bradbury is very cool; he does speaking engagements fairly regularly in the south bay- you should check him out if you get the chance.

luxinterior 06.23.2006 07:10 PM

It was a Catholic school, by the way. People tend to think it's a strict environment, but really we can do whatever we want.

flophousefloozie 06.23.2006 07:10 PM

jack kerouac "on the road".. again.

nomadicfollower 06.23.2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flophousefloozie

Love Kerouac. I just finished Big Sur about 2 weeks ago and was thoroughly entertained. Desolation Angels is also a favorite.

luxinterior 06.23.2006 07:16 PM

I want to pet the kitty.

Alex's Trip 06.23.2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
I want to pet the kitty.

"I want to pet the pretty kitty"

I'll rep anyone who knows what cartoon that is from.

o o o 06.23.2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
farewell to arms is great and beautiful but my favorite of his is "a moveable feast". oh man. that book... you'll forever be discontent with your life after it.

thanks, i will also try that one, then...

atari 2600 06.23.2006 07:50 PM

The Sun Also Rises
The Old Man & The Sea
The Short Stories of...
The Garden of Eden (posthumous)

atari 2600 06.23.2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Love Kerouac. I just finished Big Sur about 2 weeks ago and was thoroughly entertained. Desolation Angels is also a favorite.

On The Road (always worth re-reading)
The Subterraneans
The Dharma Bums
Mexico City Blues

this board needs Tokolosh* bad; I knew from the first post that you would offer quality content here. Somebody rep him, becuz I am unable.

krastian 06.23.2006 09:18 PM

I read The Fountainhead which had some interesting ideas, but the whole time I was just like, "We fucking get it!!! Jesus." I had to read it in high school like some of you guys apparantly had to. Oh and my favorite book ever is The Dharma Bums.

atari 2600 06.23.2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
I've never read Ayn Rand, but in high school there were no less than 2 trillion scholarship offers on the table for the person who could best dissect in an essay whatever novel of Rand's it happened to be for that particular contest. So the temptation was there in the form of a hell of a lot of money. Obviously I was too lazy to partake.

At every college in America, every Young Republican Club & Demosthenian Society of pseudo-intellectuals revere the yuppie know-nothing brainwashing of Ayn Rand because it goes hand-in-hand with their ultimate agenda.

I also had The Fountainhead when I was in high school & thought I was gonna be a stockbroker. But after reading three of Rand's (aformentioned) books, I never read it. I gave all those back to the used book store for trade. It's supposedly her best book.

luxinterior 06.23.2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
At every college in America, every Young Republican Club & Demosthenian Society of pseudo-intellectuals revere the yuppie know-nothing brainwashing of Ayn Rand because it goes hand-in-hand with their ultimate agenda.

I will probably join anime club. So that won't be an issue.

LifeDistortion 06.23.2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87

Note: I'm far to lazy to actually read Atlas Shrugged.

Do the lazy thing an rent the movie. If it exists. I saw "The Fountainhead" so I figure thiers a film for "Atlas Shrugged" too.

chuck norris 06.26.2006 02:07 PM

cryptowonderdruginvogue 06.26.2006 02:26 PM

im reading

Inhuman 06.26.2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Nice, Jacks poems are amazing

Bastian 06.26.2006 02:40 PM

ATM, I`m reading Ayaan Hirsi Ali`s "The Caged Virgin: An Emancipation Proclamation for Women and Islam". Quiet interesting!

Gookid 06.26.2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Willie Nelson wrote a song about this, I think

h8kurdt 06.26.2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
"I want to pet the pretty kitty"

I'll rep anyone who knows what cartoon that is from.

Hey Arnold motherfucker. Now gimmie gimmie gimmie.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

finding nobody 06.26.2006 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Hey Arnold motherfucker. Now gimmie gimmie gimmie.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

oscar read it when he was learning how to read in library. gimme some rep to please!