Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   your favorite band of the decade... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21033)

batreleaser 04.07.2008 09:34 PM

your favorite band of the decade...

in other words, the band that in the 00's has had the most positive affect on your life, the band whos music has consistently been very important to you, whos shows have moved you, and overall have just made music that has improved your lives throughout the years, as great music can do.

ive been thinkin about this a lot lately, and theres been a TON of great music that has come out in the 00's, much more than the 90's, and probably almost as much or as much as the 80's. there have been a lot of bands who i have loooooved over the past 8 years.

but, i must say, the band who has consistently one of my favorites, if not my favorite, has been deerhoof. i was surprised when i realized this, but its totally true. i first got into them when reveille came out, and then when they rapidly released apple o, milk man, and the runners four, every year id be lookin forward to their ablums, and so happy when they finally did. they got better with every record, and consequently they went higher and higher up on my favorite bands list. and last year they released friend oppurtunity, another great one and one of the best of last year. ive also seen them play live four times this decade, every time they blew my mind.

so there you have it, deerhoof has been the most important band to me this decade.

what about all you folks?

Cantankerous 04.07.2008 09:36 PM

um.
animal collective

nevermind the deerhoof avatar.

Dead-Air 04.07.2008 09:39 PM

Sonic Youth but kind of tied with Legendary Pink Dots (and yes, I am talking about this decade!)

the ikara cult 04.07.2008 09:43 PM

the reason i am here; Sonic Youth.

alteredcourse 04.07.2008 09:45 PM

the Brian Jonestown Massacre, probably . They just keep on giving . Amazing shows to look forward to .

uhler 04.07.2008 09:51 PM

i'm sure i can think of one later, but i can't at this moment.

nature scene 04.07.2008 09:57 PM

animal collective and deerhoof are the two battling for that position, but I think animal collective wins out.

uhler 04.07.2008 10:05 PM

ok maybe blonde redhead. sonic youth might have been close but rather ripped wasn't so good. radiohead's the same, but hail to the thief and the new one are not so good.

maybe fugazi cause they released one of their best albums in 2001 and then went on hiatus two years later. so they basically broke up without doing anything bad in the 00's.

gmku 04.07.2008 10:08 PM

As far as something that's truly of this decade, in every sense, I'd go with Radiohead, Battles, Deerhoof, Black Dice, Boris, Racc-oo-oon, or STNNNG. I love Brian J.M., but they're almost more a 60s band in sound for me.

Everyneurotic 04.07.2008 10:12 PM

lightning bolt can be one.

batreleaser 04.07.2008 10:14 PM

others for me are prolly the bolt, ghostface

pbradley 04.07.2008 10:14 PM

Fuck, I wish all of my digital music wasn't on my dead computer so I could consider this easier. All I have on this computer I'm using is Moss Icon, R.E.M., Sun City Girls, and Unwound.

batreleaser 04.07.2008 10:14 PM

wolf eyes, xiu xiu, animal collective, neurosis, sunn O))), boris, fennesz, and kevinn drumm

batreleaser 04.07.2008 10:16 PM

secret chiefs 3, liars, yellow swans

i could go on with the runner ups for days

krastian 04.07.2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
lightning bolt can be one.

I was thinking that too.

gmku 04.07.2008 10:44 PM

Yes, Lightning Bolt. Also Liars.

batreleaser 04.07.2008 10:56 PM

liars would be much higher up on my list if it wasnt for their s/t ablum last year, their first three were all fuckin great. they seem like awesome dudes too. great live band too.

krastian 04.07.2008 11:15 PM

I thought the Liars kind of sucked when I saw them live when they opened for SY on the Murray Street tour (I think it was Murray). I think they've gotten better since then though. I really liked Drums Not Dead.

the ikara cult 04.07.2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
liars would be much higher up on my list if it wasnt for their s/t ablum last year, their first three were all fuckin great. they seem like awesome dudes too. great live band too.

agrees. the latest Liars album was awful

super_charger 04.07.2008 11:39 PM

I'm gonna say Animal Collective, but if Deerhunter releases anything else as good as thier last few discs I might have to take that back. The singer's Atlas Sound project is pretty good too.