Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35211)

GeneticKiss 10.10.2009 09:46 PM

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Any fans here? This seems like the kind of place where people would know about them, if not necessarily like them...

To me, they're one of the better "buzz" bands from this decade...

BRMC: Not what I had expected on the first listen, but it grew on me over time. Good songs: Love Burns, Red Eyes and Tears, Whatever Happened To My Rock 'n' Roll?, As Sure as the Sun, Rifles. 7.5/10

Take Them On, On Your Own: Rocks a lot harder than the previous album. My favorite for years, and kinda an unconscious influence, I've found. Good songs: Stop, In Like The Rose, Ha Ha High Babe, Generation, And I'm Aching, Rise Or Fall. 9/10

Howl: Since this was touted as a largely acoustic, almost country-sounding album, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I ended up liking it. I prefer their more rockin' stuff, but as a change of pace it works well. Good songs are Shuffle Your Feet, Howl, Ain't No Easy Way, The Fault Line, Weight of the World. 8/10

Baby 81: Well, the jury's kinda still out on this one. On one hand it's a very strong set of songs for the most part, but on the other, there are some songs that don't rock as hard as the band tries to make them, so the whole thing sounds a bit homogenic. Not much upsets me more in music than hearing good songs with bad arrangements. Good songs are Took Out A Loan, Windows, Cold Wind, 666 Conducer, Need Some Air. 7/10

The Effects of 333: Haven't heard enough of this one to make a judgement, but it's good that they're willing to try new things.

Trasher02 10.11.2009 04:43 AM

I got the first album which I really like, haven't heard the other albums yet though.

loubarret 10.11.2009 06:09 AM

Yes yes yes.

Their first one is one epic peice of rock music, their second was a sweet follow up. Howl is great in it's byrds ways and Baby 81 is just OK.

atsonicpark 10.11.2009 07:11 AM

neh

SYRFox 10.11.2009 08:12 AM

I don't know them too much but I like what I've heard - I don't LOVE it though. Saw them live two years ago and they were good.

chicka 10.11.2009 10:30 AM

I like them a lot. Not sure if I have an album or a collection of songs as my son handed me the CD and said try it. All the cd said was Black Rebel Motorcycle Gang. Certainly one of the better groups my son has introduced me too...

Savage Clone 10.11.2009 10:36 AM

I like the first album quite a bit. The second one sounds pretty much exactly the same. I was not into the back-porchiness of Howl, and lost interest after that. I didn't know they had another album out. I got to open for them twice after the first album came out; they were nice guys and they were very good live at the time. I'm still not sure why a standar rock trio setup required a two and a half hour sound check, but they did put on a fine show. I always thought they got more than their fair share of shit-talk, considering that a lot of their music is actually good.

Derek 10.11.2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
neh

SuperCreep 10.11.2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
I got the first album which I really like, haven't heard the other albums yet though.

Same.

Trasher02 10.11.2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I'm still not sure why a standar rock trio setup required a two and a half hour sound check, but they did put on a fine show.

Two and a half hours?? The fuck?

Satan 10.11.2009 11:17 AM

theyve put on one of the best shows ive ever seen. just a good loud rocknroll band.

EVOLghost 10.11.2009 12:33 PM

They're cool! Though iH aven't been able to see them.

narlus 10.11.2009 12:41 PM

1st two records are really good. after that, i lost interest.

sonic sphere 10.11.2009 02:21 PM

2nd album is my favourite. baby 81 my least favourite.

dirty bunny 10.11.2009 02:38 PM

Yeah first two albums are good. Sometimes they're so great with the mood their sound generates (in me, at least). Other times I'm just not in the mood.