Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   getting cd's to skip.. need help (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6390)

atsonicpark 09.24.2006 06:01 PM

getting cd's to skip.. need help

Okay, I've been doing cd-skipping experiments lately (a la Oval) and I got some good success from making minor incisions with a knife in the discs but it eventually gets to the point where the computer CD player I'm trying to rip the discs to won't even recognize the disc anymore. Any other good tips?

What I'm doing is taking electronic songs I made and then burning them to a disc, fucking the disc up, and ripping the disc to hear the skippy versions of my songs. I know, there are VST plugins that do that and other artificial ways of doing it (and I employ those), but I want a lot of constant skipping without totally ruining the disc where the computer can't read it.

nomadicfollower 09.24.2006 06:25 PM

Sounds interesting. Not sure I can really help. Maybe the incisions you make with the knife are to deep? Try something less sharp...

Glice 09.24.2006 07:02 PM

Yatsuano Tone uses first-generation CD players, before they put in loads of 'correction' technology. I understand he still uses them. His technique is to put scotch tape with pin pricks on it onto the surface. However, my experiments have worked only rarely. In spite of this, I've had more success with cheap peices of shit CD players. Try them.

*Edit: Yatsuano Tone pre-dates Oval by nearly a decade. Look him up if you don't know him already.

golden child 09.24.2006 07:10 PM

marker, spraypaint (lightly)

atsonicpark 09.24.2006 07:52 PM

Crazy!

m^a(t)h 09.24.2006 09:58 PM

i remember i was over a friend's house one day, we were watching something and it said beanie seagal the rapper just got out of jail. my friend was reminded of a cd of beanie's he had so he found it and we carved "free man" on the back of the cd. then we put it in one of those old huge boombox cd players and it got in this one locked skip and we kept it playing for over 10 hours while we slept, so _4la.

atari 2600 09.24.2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Sounds interesting. Not sure I can really help. Maybe the incisions you make with the knife are to deep? Try something less sharp...

Sounds really dumb. Not sure I would want to help if I could. Maybe the incisions you made with the knife should have been made on yourself? Try to bleed those rotten ideas out of your system...oh & burn your Oval recordings.

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 10:29 PM

atari is bitter because he didn't think of it first.

as per usual.

Alex's Trip 09.24.2006 10:43 PM

Drop it in a blender...

terminal pharmacy 09.24.2006 11:59 PM

don't do it by putting the cd back intot he computer, put it into a cd player and record it back in skipping

gmku 09.25.2006 08:51 AM

This shit is wack!

PAULYBEE2656 09.25.2006 10:44 AM

nail polish remover, tiny traces of it not big globules. olive oil, fingerprints real greasy fingerprints, try driviing or cycling over em on a flat surface so they dont crack or warp..... water dried in leaves water marks, try that!

_slavo_ 09.25.2006 11:17 AM

nice ideas, people,
Imma try that myself

Fox 09.25.2006 11:21 AM

I already did that with Playstation games I didn't wanted more... A few things we used:

-screetching it on the walls
-throw it from 3 meters high
-write on its back
-put it on the side of a door when it's open and then closed

Put it's maybe too violent? (two of the four may completely destroy your disc...)

atari 2600 09.25.2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
atari is bitter because he didn't think of it first.

as per usual.

neither did any of these people...they didn't think of it first either...they're just copying some hipster doofus*

cosmo kramer

golden child's marker suggestion seems like it would work to me

Tokolosh 09.25.2006 11:34 AM

Put the cd in a microwave oven for 5-10 sec. If you leave it to long you'll get sparkling effects and you won't be able to play it at all.

Make sure to clean the microwave afterwards.

PAULYBEE2656 09.25.2006 12:37 PM

give them to a careless mate. they will always come back fucked! thats why i burn stuff for people not lend em. lost too many to beermat users...

hey ac, is this for syrdraken or something else, just curious

atsonicpark 09.25.2006 01:14 PM

Oh, I'm not sure whaty I'm going to use it for.. just solo experiments for now to see what sounds good. Thanks for the suggestions so far, peeps.

PAULYBEE2656 09.25.2006 01:16 PM

just a thought, hammering nails straight thru the disc playside facing up so its completely flat and not dimpled. maybe it wouldnt work but..............

oh yeah, take the nails out of course!

o o o 09.25.2006 01:24 PM

there is a Czech guy called Milan Knizak who in the 60's experimented with vinyl, destroying records, scratching them, making holes in them, painting them, burning them and putting gaffa tape on them and then playing the music...

there is an album called "Broken music" compiling some of those recordings: