Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   DYI thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22629)

sarramkrop 06.15.2008 01:48 PM

DYI thread

Share tips on how to make 'things' on here.

girlgun 06.15.2008 02:07 PM

let's see. i just made the man go get us a slice for a lunch.

i said... hey... are you hungry? and he said ... not really. and i said.. oh okay. he said... i'll go get something if you want. and i said... ok!

luisxvi 06.15.2008 02:07 PM

luisxvi 06.15.2008 02:08 PM

✌➬ 06.15.2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisxvi

English please.

sarramkrop 06.15.2008 02:50 PM

Oh, I meant DIY thread.

Glice 06.15.2008 03:07 PM

Gig tips:

- Colour-code your leads. It saves time on gay arguments.
- You are playing for the promoter. Don't be afraid to be a cunt about this point.
- Be nice to the soundguy, he has your balls in his hands.
- If using pedals, always have a stock of batteries as well as leads.
- If your set falls apart if one of your 42 pedals fails, why not reconsider if they're all necessary?
- For fuck's sake, you're not Kevin Shields, do you really need all those pedals?
- Have consideration for the other bands - does your soundcheck really require all those pedals be tested?
- 2 different phase pedals? Really?
- Take the time to chat to the other bands. If they like you as people, they might not hate your awful music.
- It wasn't that 'the crowd didn't get it'. Your music is shit. Think about that.
- Stage patter: don't announce 'this is our jazz song' unless your 'jazz song' is actually a smidge jazzy. Honestly, I saw 5 hardcore bands all announce they had a 'jazz' song, and there wasn't a 7th within a country mile, let alone a 5/6.
- What did I tell you about those fucking effects pedals? WHAT did I tell you? And now you're claiming that you don't know whose wah that is? For fuck's sake.
- Please think about what you're wearing. You might not give a fuck about your appearance, but it's a big part of being on stage for those of us who are visually inclined.
- Don't turn the guitar up, ask for there to be more in the monitors. If you don't speak soundguy speak, tell him (and it is always him).
- You might think you're led zep, but you'll probably sound like arse if you're pissed.
- Less pedals = good.

I'll think of some more later.

davenotdead 06.15.2008 03:23 PM

king_buzzo 06.15.2008 03:48 PM

floatingslowly 06.15.2008 04:23 PM

SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
(shovels and concrete not included)
[bombs are free]

Cantankerous 06.15.2008 04:23 PM

styrofoam + gasoline + incendiary device = fun

floatingslowly 06.15.2008 04:25 PM

chlorine pool tablets + ammonia = mustard gas

davenotdead 06.15.2008 04:32 PM

jellyfish tentacles + someone else's body = fun

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.15.2008 04:38 PM

Penis + Vagina = Babies (or STDs)

o'connor 06.15.2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Penis + Vagina = Babies (or STDs)

or just a really good time.

Everyneurotic 06.15.2008 04:55 PM

glice wins!

yesterday i played with a band that had so much gear, it took them like an hour and a half just to set up.

hat and bread 06.15.2008 05:01 PM

I love this: http://www.makezine.com/

I am a maker of things. I'll post some things I make later.

hat and bread 06.16.2008 07:47 AM

Bicycle reed horn

Really simple reed instrument for about $2.
1) Buy a cheap plastic bicycle horn or similar noise maker. Rip it apart and take out the reed.

The reed should look something like this (this one is from one of those annoying party noise maker things, but they're all pretty much the same).

Bicycle horn reeds tend to look something like this:

Jam it in the end of any kind of hose. The longer the hose the lower the tone. If the reed encasing is smaller than the hose wrap some tape around the encasing until it fits snuggly inside the hose. Done! If you want cut some holes in the hose to add extra notes.

hat and bread 06.16.2008 07:53 AM

slightly more expensive reed instrument

($5ish
Clarinet mouthpiece and reed+ vinyl tubing + funnel = fun)
Again, cut out holes to add notes.

hat and bread 06.16.2008 08:10 AM

Homemade (violin etc) Bow

Materials: 1 stick, 1 roll of fishing line, 2 screws, rosin

Put a screw in each end of your stick. Tie a knot in the fishing line around one of the screws. Run the line back and forth between the two screws 100 times or so. Cut and tie off the string when you're happy with the width. At this point it will look like this:

I = screw
| = fishing line

I
| |
| |
| |
I

Because you wrapped the string around screws there will be a big gap in the middle of your bow. Tie some string around both ends near the screw to close the gap. See below.

The finished product:

Buy some rosin and apply it to the strings (rosin is what creates friction between the bow and whatever you're rubbing the bow against. It won't work without it). You can easily find this for quite cheap at nearly any music store. There, you're done.