Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Why aren't SYR6 + 8 released on vinyl? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=46667)

Pelle 02.21.2011 02:07 PM

Why aren't SYR6 + 8 released on vinyl?

Sorry if there is already a thread, but does anyone know why?

:rolleyes:

SonicBebs 02.21.2011 03:07 PM

never mind that i want 7 on cd

greedrex 02.21.2011 03:15 PM

just becuz.

the ikara cult 02.21.2011 03:40 PM

because its 1985 and you hipster divs need to get with the times

Jef Mertens 02.21.2011 05:21 PM

I suspect they didn't release SYR 8 on vinyl cuz they didn't want to cut up the 1-hour set.

Pelle 02.21.2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jef Mertens
I suspect they didn't release SYR 8 on vinyl cuz they didn't want to cut up the 1-hour set.

I guess so...but that could have been a solution :p
I'd like to have em in my vinylcollection. So irritating that those parts are missing.

the ikara cult 02.21.2011 06:50 PM

aaaaagh!!??!?!?!?!??!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ann ashtray 02.21.2011 06:53 PM

Wouldn't likely be profitable to release everything on vinyl. Most people still buy cds, despite popular belief.

noisereductions 02.21.2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
never mind that i want 7 on cd

samesies. :(

RanaldoNecro 02.21.2011 08:29 PM

They are doing it just to fuck with your head. To make their discography so indecipherable that your peanut brain cannot comprehend it.

They make it so complex until your brain cannot take it anymore and you say 'fuck it, this is pointless (which is you should have said back before you started collecting)

No really thats the truth.

RanaldoNecro 02.21.2011 11:19 PM

That came across harsh but the real reason is to create mystique

Mortte Jousimo 02.22.2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelle
I guess so...but that could have been a solution :p
I'd like to have em in my vinylcollection. So irritating that those parts are missing.

In the seventies (a lot before cd-time) if there is larger entities than vinyl-side, they just fade it and then bring it out to the another side (for example Canned Heat in Refried Boogie, Amon Duul II in Yeti and Yeti talks to Yogi, Jethro Tull in Thick as a Brick and a Passion play, allthough this last the song just stop and continue on b-side). Nick Cave also made in "Dig Lazarus Dig"-album, that "More News for Nowhere" is on the vinyl-bonus-single and it fades on the middle of the song and the rest of the song is on b-side!).

I´m also glad if there comes someday vinyl-version for those syr´s. Sometimes it has happened: Opeth damnation original release was just cd, but a few years ago to my happiness came a vinyl version. There is also Sonic Death that is only in cassette and cd, but maybe it will never be released in vinyl. But who knows?

Chris Lawrence 02.22.2011 05:05 AM

Both 6 and 8 would have to be double-vinyl and since they're already basically each a single piece, spreading it over four sides seems illogical. As for 7 not being on CD, huh.

Mortte Jousimo 02.22.2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Both 6 and 8 would have to be double-vinyl and since they're already basically each a single piece, spreading it over four sides seems illogical. As for 7 not being on CD, huh.

It is possible to put 30 minutes on one vinyl side. Syr6 has 3 pieces and the longest is little less than half an hour, so it can be one and half vinyl (there are some in history allready for example Johnny Winter:Second Winter). Syr 8 lenght is little less than one hour so it is possible to put in one vinyl. Of course sound quality is not as good when vinyls are so long, but it don´t bother me for example in Syr4.

SYRFox 02.22.2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

this

Pelle 02.22.2011 11:10 AM

Well well, ofcourse people listen to CDs, but if just "irritated" me a little bit that all the SYR records are released on CD and vinyl except vinyl releases of two of them, wich btw is my favourites.. :P

noisereductions 02.22.2011 12:12 PM

SYR7 not on CD bugs me the most. It just makes no sense. They even released a digital version. So...

Pelle 02.22.2011 01:11 PM

Yeah, same thing there. All of them sohuld be on all formats.
Even tapeversions would be cool. ;)

scott v 02.22.2011 02:40 PM

SYRFox 02.22.2011 03:41 PM

well the fact is, there is at least an explanation for the non vinyl release of syr6&8 - though i know it's a pain to have those two gaps in your collection -, since they're meant to be listened to as one track, etc, while there is absolutely no reason why syr7 should not be released as a cd. it really bugged me when it got released - and still does, especially since i was really eager to own j'accuse ted hughes on cd. eh.