Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rather Ripped (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15)

Inhuman 03.21.2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpressway2yrskull
I read a while ago that they're going for the fairly standard 1 Lee song, 4 for Kim and 5 for Thurston. But then, I thought there were going to be 12 songs in total, does that mean 2 instr.? Maybe, that's just old info. I'm not sure.

A bit off topic, but what number album do you make this?
I'm never sure whether to count SYRs, The Whitey album etc. etc.

I heard that its 6 Thurston, 5 Kim, and 1 Lee, so I really sure!

What I'm wondering is the official release date (6th or 13th).

Soundtrax 03.21.2006 04:07 PM

well, i personally find it unfortunate that lee only gets one song per album, he has such a beautiful voice, and his songs are always great

RIPfrey05 03.21.2006 04:10 PM

Its got a goofey title that my dad makes fun of for hours but its gonna be a great album.. im glad o rourke is gone.. he was like a sixth toe.. dont fix whats not broken!

xpressway2yrskull 03.21.2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundtrax
well, i personally find it unfortunate that lee only gets one song per album, he has such a beautiful voice, and his songs are always great

I agree. However, If his songs were as frequent as Kim and Thurston maybe they would seem less significant and not such a highlight on each record...

Does anyone know why Lee sings so much less? I always assumed because he wrote less lyrically. I doubt the rest of the band bully him or anything. :D

Neongod 03.21.2006 06:05 PM

For chrissakes, you can't judge an album by its name. So STOP it. Listen to the 5 song acoustic set. Do you believe in rapture? is a great track with ONE guitar. I can't wait to see where they take it with the full band.

krastian 03.21.2006 06:09 PM

I like the title.

Soundtrax 03.21.2006 06:14 PM

by the way, where do i find the 5 songs acoustic set you all talk about? ;) thanks

Alex's Trip 03.21.2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox
That's the first time I see the issue of a Sonic Youth album (SYR 6 excepted), cause I'm a young fan, so I can't be more excited

I am in the same situation...

badgercorn 03.21.2006 06:35 PM

Didn't someone post an interview (on the old message board) that Lee was releasing a "singer-songwriter" solo album? Please tell me I didn't make this up!

As for Rather Ripped, I imagine it might sound a bit like Experimental Jet Set, with shorter, more basic songs rather than big epics..

Everyneurotic 03.21.2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgercorn
Didn't someone post an interview (on the old message board) that Lee was releasing a "singer-songwriter" solo album? Please tell me I didn't make this up!...

it was the pitchfork media thing about ecstatic peace signing to universal records, thurston talks about it for a little bit. search it: www.pitchforkmedia.com

sellouteater 03.21.2006 06:40 PM

i can't wait.

dazedcola 03.21.2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundtrax

ever notice how usually the most highly acclaimed SY records have more than one lee song on them (Washing Machine, Sister,Daydream Nation). It's more than just a coincidence.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.21.2006 08:28 PM

word

DoubleNickels 03.21.2006 08:31 PM

I am honestly ready to not expect anything. It's much better that way so I can make a decision based on what I think, not the hype I've heard or my mind tricking me with expectations.

That might be why I love all SY albums so much...

That said, I actually prefer the title "Do you believe in rapture?". Why did you guys change it?

Ah whatever. As long as you stop in providence when you tour. :D

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.21.2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpressway2yrskull
I read a while ago that they're going for the fairly standard 1 Lee song, 4 for Kim and 5 for Thurston. But then, I thought there were going to be 12 songs in total, does that mean 2 instr.? Maybe, that's just old info. I'm not sure.

A bit off topic, but what number album do you make this?
I'm never sure whether to count SYRs, The Whitey album etc. etc.

im thinking 12 or 14

Everyneurotic 03.21.2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury
I know this has probably been asked profusely,
but how much work did Jim do on the upcoming record with them before he left? I guess what im trying to say is how much of his influence or "style" will be incorperated into the new album?

from what's been said by the band, none

greenlight 03.23.2006 07:44 AM

I really like the title
don't think expecting something what you think of is a good idea
nurse was sooo good live (what i could hear and see from the last tour)
i mean sy is very good live band now and i can't wait to hear & see new material performed live.

dirty bunny 03.23.2006 12:44 PM

I can't say I like the title, but maybe I'll change my mind after I hear it. I wonder how they've changed the songs they did from the flywheel gig and how they'll sound. I don't want to hear it in its entirety until I have it in my hot little hands.

evollove 04.02.2008 06:49 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above is some nostagia for you all. Thread from 2 yrs ago! Ah, we were all so innocent then.

deflinus 04.02.2008 08:54 PM

i still listen to it. and still love it