Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.11.2016 12:05 AM

speaking of unrepentant musical tastes i must confess Red Hot Chili Peppers The Getaway has made it into my heavy rotation lately. no one is more surprised than me

Severian 07.11.2016 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
speaking of unrepentant musical tastes i must confess Red Hot Chili Peppers The Getaway has made it into my heavy rotation lately. no one is more surprised than me

I think you already said this?

I like the cover art. The fox especially. There. I said a nice thing about RHCP.

Severian 07.11.2016 10:29 AM

I haven't heard Blank Faces yet.

noisereductions 07.11.2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Finally gave Still Brazy a proper listen.. it's better than My Krazy Life in my opinion.

this surprises me a lot. A lot.

Severian 07.11.2016 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
this surprises me a lot. A lot.

Louder's full of surprises this year man. I'm telling you, something's up.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.11.2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I think you already said this?

I like the cover art. The fox especially. There. I said a nice thing about RHCP.

no i initially said i was surprised to find it listenable but lately i realized im actually listening to it a lot which means i must like it

Rob Instigator 07.12.2016 08:44 AM

Nowadays if you sell 15,000 units in a week it is Number One on Billboard charts. what a sad state of affairs. In the 80's you had to come out the gate with 400,000 sales in a week to get number one.

Rob Instigator 07.12.2016 08:45 AM

an indie/punk band selling 100,000 units of an album was like the motherload. Nowadays mainstream acts can't sell that in a month

Severian 07.12.2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
an indie/punk band selling 100,000 units of an album was like the motherload. Nowadays mainstream acts can't sell that in a month

It's because the Internet d00d.

Though to be fair, some folks are still going strong on actual sales ("actual" in this case usually meaning any digital medium other than streaming, and physical sales). Obviously Beyoncé killed it, with something like 760,000 in her first week. And dildo Drake somehow did 1.6 million in a week. I would be remiss if I failed to mention that Kanye sold 100,000 when he finally put his record out, and yeah, 50% of that came from streaming/sales conversions, but the fact that the album had already been streamed 150 million times and illegally downloaded God knows how many more, it's kind of a wonder he even charted with a two month old album, let alone hit #1.

No, they're not the sales figures he saw on Graduation (980,000/week), and no, this isn't 2000, when the 1 million mark was being hit by everyone from pop to hip-hop to rap-metal. But the industry's not entirely dead. It's just "evolving."

I wish it would evolve in some other way that less us old boys have some fun too. But face it man, Apple and Spotify are the music industry now. Chance the fucking Rapper had a top ten album with a "free" mixtape. Streaming-only albums are now eligible for Grammys, which is certainly not going to save the physical copy industry. That's just how things are going. Sad af.

louder 07.12.2016 09:30 AM

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...ksummersnight/

I love the album.. but what kind of terrible write up is this? Why do they even bother?

louder 07.12.2016 09:32 AM

My Krazy Life just got old for me because of DJ Mustard's production.. Still Brazy feels like something I'll be able to bump in many years from now and it'll still sound fresh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Nowadays if you sell 15,000 units in a week it is Number One on Billboard charts. what a sad state of affairs. In the 80's you had to come out the gate with 400,000 sales in a week to get number one.

Yeah, shit is sad.. most CD stores in my area got closed forever.

Severian 07.12.2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...ksummersnight/

I love the album.. but what kind of terrible write up is this? Why do they even bother?

I just read that. The references to "sex so transcendent it makes tantric look boring" are horrid and cringe-worthy. Comparisons to D right out the gate. Why is this a surprise? Pitchfork is ubiquitous and unavoidable, but they still write pure shit 9 times out of 10.

louder 07.12.2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I just read that. The references to "sex so transcendent it makes tantric look boring" are horrid and cringe-worthy. Comparisons to D right out the gate. Why is this a surprise? Pitchfork is ubiquitous and unavoidable, but they still write pure shit 9 times out of 10.

So true.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/29...ight-ew-review

I thought this review was spot on.. especially compared to Pitchfork's.

louder 07.12.2016 09:40 AM

Neo-soul was a bullshit term anyway.. shit was made up by magazines and label executives just like "grunge."

louder 07.12.2016 09:43 AM

Oh yeah.. Blank Face is the shit. Everyone from Rob to Sev to SuchFriends to NR to pepper green should get on it ASAP.

louder 07.12.2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

My Krazy Life just got old for me because of DJ Mustard's production.. Still Brazy feels like something I'll be able to bump in many years from now and it'll still sound fresh.

It still has some of his best tracks though.. "1AM" in particular stands out on that album.

louder 07.12.2016 09:52 AM

I know y'all might think that Still Brazy could've used more diversity.. it's definitely a "sloppy" record, but it's so hood and raw that I just can't help but love it. My Krazy Life has a few "softer" moments.. Still Brazy is just grimey as hell from start to finish.

louder 07.12.2016 09:55 AM

I really wish Drake and Lil Wayne weren't on it though. They are the only "big" names on the album, but at the same time they're definitely the weakest parts of it.

Rob Instigator 07.12.2016 10:12 AM

I'm gonna get on Still Brazy and BlankFace. will let y'all know how that shit goes.

Severian 07.12.2016 11:00 AM

Quote:

I really wish Drake and Lil Wayne weren't on it though. They are the only "big" names on the album, but at the same time they're definitely the weakest parts of it.

Drake's always the weakest part of whatever he's a part of. I swear, I've gone from being a casual fan to hating him, to having hope when IYRTITL dropped, to hating him harder and more fiercely than anyone else in the goddamn hip hop world. He's a goddamn joke.

Re: Lil Wayne. This dude just makes me sad at this point. I broke my "no music videos" rule and watched the clip for "No Problems" from Coloring Book, and Wayne is just systematically erasing his legacy. That was his best verse in forever, but looking at him, flexing and boarding and acting like the same old Hot Boy kid, with that wrinkly face and the elephant in the room that is his dwindling (ok, nosediving) relevance is just pathetic.

Seriously, I think he's using all this label drama to cover up the fact that he's DONE, and doesn't have another good album in him. He knows it. But he still says shit like "I got problems bigger than these boys/my deposits they be on steroids" ... Yeah, I doubt that.

My favorite part of the video, and of his verse, is when he says "I get so choked up, when I think of old stuff/ movin on.." It feels like he's actually being honest for a split second, and I like his delivery of the line in the video.

That line about "if that label tries to stop me there's gon be some crazy Weezy fans all up in the lobby"'is wishful thinking. When was the last time you encountered a real live hardcore Weezy fan? And if "that label" really is getting in his way, they HAVE stopped him, and I don't see anyone rioting in the streets, or even bitching on message boards.

Wayne is done. His voice makes any hip-hop song sound ten years older than it is. He's having seizures all over the place, probably due to his steady diet of sizzurp and Xanax and percocets. Fucking idiot.