Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   'Cross the Breeze thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7676)

neptuneg 11.02.2006 01:45 AM

'Cross the Breeze thread

This song interests me (it's also one of my favorite SY songs). Maybe I haven't searched hard enough, but why did Thurston originally sing this? or rather, when did the band decide that Kim should sing the song?

youthoftomorrow 11.02.2006 02:37 AM

no idea.

but it's easily the best song on Daydream Nation.

neptuneg 11.02.2006 10:26 AM

Agreed. What are the chances they'll resurrect this song live?

Inhuman 11.02.2006 10:42 AM

Anyone have bootlegs of the thurston version by any chance? Thanks

Danny Himself 11.02.2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow
no idea.

That honour goes to 'The Wonder', actually.

Bal 11.02.2006 11:37 AM

thurston sang it on some live gigs when they had no finished lyrics for the song.
i had a recording somewhere, gotta check, i might have deleted it cause of the shite quality.

Magic Wheel Memory 11.02.2006 01:45 PM

Quote:

no idea.

Maybe one of the five best songs in their entire catalogue. Beautiful, tense, dramatic, exciting. Holy shit! And as much as I love Thurston, Kim's vocals on this are great. She was the right choice for this one.

Trasher02 11.02.2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

no idea.

Hyperstation? Teenage riot? Hey Joni? The Sprawl?(which I used to hate but love now)

neptuneg 11.02.2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Anyone have bootlegs of the thurston version by any chance? Thanks

Check out the Sharing forum, I found one or two boots with Thurston singing. I actually only have one boot where Kim sings. Does anyone have any others besides Vienna in '89?

dazedcola 11.02.2006 05:48 PM

i think the SY CBGB bootleg from around daydream nation has Thurston singing "Cross the breeze", also its got a live version of "rain king" on it!

racehorse 11.02.2006 05:51 PM

the CBGB boot is 06/04/88, one of my favourite boots actually. it's on the sonic sharing thread i think.

pokkeherrie 11.02.2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neptuneg
This song interests me (it's also one of my favorite SY songs). Maybe I haven't searched hard enough, but why did Thurston originally sing this? or rather, when did the band decide that Kim should sing the song?

i'm guessing he sang the early live versions because they hadn't written the definitive lyrics yet... on those cbgb's boots it actually sounds like he's just improvising something. since they most of the time have the person writing the lyrics also singing the song, i suppose kim came up with the final lyrics after those shows and ended up singing it... but apparently thurston also sometimes writes lyrics that kim then ends up singing, like starpower (thurston sings on all the live versions though) and plastic sun.

neptuneg 11.02.2006 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
i'm guessing he sang the early live versions because they hadn't written the definitive lyrics yet... on those cbgb's boots it actually sounds like he's just improvising something. since they most of the time have the person writing the lyrics also singing the song, i suppose kim came up with the final lyrics after those shows and ended up singing it... but apparently thurston also sometimes writes lyrics that kim then ends up singing, like starpower (thurston sings on all the live versions though) and plastic sun.

yeah, that makes sense. do we know what Kim's lyrics mean, if anything specific? it's something i've wondered, but i haven't really looked into it.

youthoftomorrow 11.02.2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Hyperstation? Teenage riot? Hey Joni? The Sprawl?(which I used to hate but love now)

no, close, closer, and fuck no.

1. 'Cross the Breeze
2. Eric's Trip
3. Rain King
4. Hey Joni
5. Teenage Riot

supersonicsix 11.03.2006 05:41 AM

since reading this thread i've had a real craving/need to listen to DDN.

glofus 11.03.2006 07:38 AM

Quote:

no, close, closer, and fuck no.

1. 'Cross the Breeze
2. Eric's Trip
3. Rain King
4. Hey Joni
5. Teenage Riot

Eliminator jr.?

Trasher02 11.03.2006 08:21 AM

It's an anthem in a vacuum on a hyperstation
Day dreaming days in a daydream nation

king_buzzo 11.03.2006 08:27 AM

not the greatest song on daydream nation. they're all awesome though

youthoftomorrow 11.03.2006 12:53 PM

don't get me wrong though, i love almost every song on the album (exceptions are "The Sprawl" and "Kissability"), but some are just infinitely better than others.

Danny Himself 11.03.2006 01:05 PM

The Wonder is by far the best.