Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who Likes The New Album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4488)

DaydreamNation 07.25.2006 05:30 PM

Who Likes The New Album?

Ok i am completely new to this forum but just wanted to know this. I bought the new SY album last week "Rather Ripped" and i think it's great. What does everyone else think? I am encouraged by the fact that a band from the early 80s is still putting out great new original, UNAFFECTED material. that's what good art is i think. but that's my opinion. just want to know what some other people think.
-Taking It As It Comes

Secret Boys 07.25.2006 05:33 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
i LOLED
LoL

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 05:33 PM

halp halp

Glice 07.25.2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaydreamNation
Ok i am completely new to this forum but just wanted to know this. I bought the new SY album last week "Rather Ripped" and i think it's great. What does everyone else think? I am encouraged by the fact that a band from the early 80s is still putting out great new original, UNAFFECTED material. that's what good art is i think. but that's my opinion. just want to know what some other people think.
-Taking It As It Comes

Hello there, welcome along. The new album has been received in varying extremes here. I haven't got it yet, but a lot of people think it's either utter shite or brilliance.

Pointless post, but I thought I'd be welcoming.

k-krack 07.25.2006 05:35 PM

I certainly like it. theres been a ton of threads dedicated to it. some dislike..some like. i tihnk maybe the amount is even.. as in, half like it....

Hip Priest 07.25.2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

-Taking It As It Comes

Opinions are divided, from adoration to hatred. I like it a lot, but I wouldn't put it in my top five SY LP's. I like 'Sleepin Around' a lot, but I reserve very special affection for 'Pink Steam'.

If you do some kind of forum search, you should find about 13 threads concerning the LP.

Try clicking here.

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 05:40 PM

or here

acousticrock87 07.25.2006 05:41 PM

Does that actually work? I don't feel like trying it.

Alex's Trip 07.25.2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous

Hahaha...Hope you don't mind if I steal that.

Everyneurotic 07.25.2006 07:59 PM

what new album?

Cantankerous 07.25.2006 08:28 PM

i think he means "a bigger bang"

Bal 07.25.2006 08:32 PM

pre 90s albums are classics, 90s albums are ok(except washing machine, wich is said to be a classic too), and post washing machine albums are said to be shite on this board usually.
i love the new album but of course i miss the darkness of the 80s and the blues of the 90s.
rather ripped rules.
EVOL OWNS.

touch me i'm sick 07.25.2006 08:46 PM

i listened it through a good frew times and i dug it, but it's just not somethign i would choose over any of their other albums

nomadicfollower 07.25.2006 09:48 PM

Meh.

Daycare Nation 07.25.2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

-Taking It As It Comes

Rather Ripped rules!

PAULYBEE2656 07.26.2006 07:43 AM

welcome to the blue place daydreamnation. rr is ok, its not a bad album, its not sys finest work. but in the gbreater scheme of things its pretty good. some killer tracks like pink steam and or and jams run free but i always hark back to the fact, the best tracks are the bonus ones, eyeliner and helen lundeberg. by far the finest tracks on the album.....

welcome dn again and never mind the bollocks (thats friendly advice about being here, not a fist in the air scream at a substandard piece of punk rrock history)

kingcoffee 07.26.2006 07:49 AM

I'm not very fond of the album. I really don't want people to think that I hate the album, because I don't. I just feel that while the songs have potential, they just never really go anywhere. They are not fully realized. It's like the band half-assed the album. Even Lee's song "Rats" (which I think is the strongest track on the album) seems played down and half-assed. Don't hate the album, just disappointed. Overall, I'd give it 3 stars. 3 1/2 if I'm feeling really generous.

Alex's Trip 07.26.2006 08:55 AM

1 post? I think we scared him away.

fluxequalsrad 07.26.2006 09:50 AM

rather ripped is a buzz

lovesonicevol 07.26.2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
1 post? I think we scared him away.

Sonic Death already? Jeez.