Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   karen koltrane (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4334)

poster72 07.21.2006 02:17 PM

karen koltrane

so does anyone know the story or the inspiration behind the karen songs? just curious. i really am digging karen revisited lately as i just picked up murray st not long ago.

or lets discuss other inspirations of their tunes if anyone knows them

Lipslikewindows 07.21.2006 02:20 PM

I don't think Karen Koltrane/Revisited are about the same person as Tunic (Karen Carpenter). Could be wrong, but they don't sound like it. Koltrane is one of the best SY songs of all time...

silverfreepress (sdasher) 07.21.2006 02:23 PM

at the Irving Plaza shows back in '02 the ones around ThnksGiving when The Liars opened and the next night Lightning Bolt and the stage was decorated in Chrismas decor well someone yelled "who's Karen" Lee laughed and said "you'll never know" then went into Karenology. Beauty.

Lipslikewindows 07.21.2006 02:25 PM

Really? I didn't think they played anything off of "Thousand Leaves" or "Washing Machine" anymore. Pretty sweet! Did it sound as ominous at the beginning and as noisy on the first jam and as pretty on the second one as it does on the record? That song still just blows me away.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 07.21.2006 02:29 PM

This was back in '02 so it was Karen Revisited that morphed into Karenology which gee I dunno. So it was mainly the song from Murray St. Karen's not involved with the Washing Machine is she?

Lipslikewindows 07.21.2006 02:45 PM

Nah, just didn't think they ever played the songs off those two albums anymore.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 07.24.2006 10:04 AM

I'm pretty sure that "Skip Tracer" from a couple tours ago was the last WM song that had any playage..
And "Sunday" from ATL.
yAWN...........................HEY. yawn. coffee and adreniline. random house. oxford american...... i like typing from foreign computers.ers erros. errors? no!

porkmarras 07.24.2006 10:43 AM

I can't remember where i read that the Karen Koltrane in question might have been a man.

Massenvernichtungswaffen 07.24.2006 03:06 PM

Karen Koltrane is one of the best sonic youth songs. I'm a Big fan of Lee's voice and style.

Rob Instigator 07.24.2006 04:33 PM

as far as I know, Tunic as we know, is about karen carpenter, and karen koltrane and karenology are about someone in Lee's personal life.

Lee's songs always rule all.

guitarpro 07.24.2006 04:36 PM

No idea great fucking song though

guitarpro 07.24.2006 04:37 PM

PS

Look up Al Shabbray he's like Lee's biggest fan he should know the answer.

top 40 squeeze 07.24.2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
as far as I know, Tunic as we know, is about karen carpenter, and karen koltrane and karenology are about someone in Lee's personal life.

Lee's songs always rule all.

He also mentions a Karen in Notebook off of the Amarillo Ramp record. I always assumed this was Karen Koltrane/Revisited.

The exact line is

"Karen lying on the bed by that sunshaded window in Johnsons city listening for footsteps and not yet through."