Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 17: thinking fellers union local #282 - mother (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18437)

atsonicpark 12.20.2007 05:47 PM

classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 17: thinking fellers union local #282 - mother

...of all saints. Damn you TFUL for having such a long name.

THINKING FELLERS UNION LOCAL # 282 "MOTHER OF ALL SAINTS"
Matador, 1992

1. ...
2. A Gentleman's Lament
3. Catcher
4. Hornet's Heart
5. Star Trek
6. Tell Me
7. Heaven For Addled Imbeciles
8. Hive
9. Hummingbird in a Cube of Ice
10. None Too Fancy
11. Wide Forehead
12. Infection
13. Pleasure Circle
14. Tight Little Thing
15. Hosanna Loud Hosanna
16. Tuning Notes
17. Shuddering Big Butter
18. 1" Tall
19. Raymond H.
20. ...
21. Cistern
22. El Cerrito
23. Fish Bowl

Personally, Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 has everything I look for in a band: endlessly creative, ridiculously inventive, fiercely independant, yet still able to make a song that is memorable and catchy without shame. You really can't go wrong with any of their albums, as they are all perfect, as this is easily the most consistent band I've ever heard. But I chose this because it has my favorite TFUL282 songs (like the catchy-as-hell "Hornet's Heart" that starts like a Sun City Girls song and has some of the weirdest guitar lines this side of Captain Beefheart) and it's their longest.

There's really only about 12 songs on this album, as with all their albums, there are tons of snippets of "Feller filler" which range from hilarious to annoying to head-scratching. I once read that TFUL put those on there so as to not be taken so seriously; their music is so good and complex and they're such skilled players that they didn't want to come off as condescending perfectionists. Unlike math rock bands who showoff the fact they can count a lot in every song they do, TFUL's moments of complexity never feel forced. They're more concerned with crafting unique, interesting songs. And they do in spades here.

For those who haven't heard TFUL # 282, there are three guitarists (who play lots of different instruments too) with alternately-tuned guitars playing extremely creative and well-structured rock songs that are actually kind of undefinable. There are elements of noise rock, pop, folk, surf, and even classical in their works, and it's all done with a sense of humor.

For fans of Polvo, Sonic Youth, and Truman's Water; you can hear echoes of that stuff here, but TFUL # 282 easily takes the cake. Honestly, probably the best album you all haven't bought yet. Amazing.

A classic.

Norma J 12.20.2007 05:49 PM

I haven't heard it. I'll have to.

atsonicpark 12.20.2007 11:28 PM

I like how this is easily one of the best albums of all time, by far the best album released in the 90's, and one of the only amazing albums Matador has ever been involved with in any way, yet no one has said anything about it. That's pretty embarassing, eh?

Everyneurotic 12.20.2007 11:40 PM

i haven't listened to tfu yet, sorry.

fictionfriction 12.20.2007 11:51 PM

yeah, hornet's heart is a great song. i've got a couple of their albums, can definately see the polvo / truman's water comparisons. any other similar bands you'd recommend?

atsonicpark 12.20.2007 11:54 PM

Unfortunately, no.. I'd like to hear more similiar bands though.

They just don't make 'em this creative, entertaining, innovative, and amazing very often.

fictionfriction 12.20.2007 11:57 PM

ah you disappoint me, i was expecting a list of about 300 random bands haha..

i'll have to track down all their other albums instead

atsonicpark 12.21.2007 01:50 PM

everyneurotic, they covered caroliner on one of their eps . is that reccomendation enough?

tesla69 12.21.2007 02:43 PM

I'm certain 've said this in this forum before, but the first time I saw TFUL282 was in autumn 1990 and I wasn't too impressed, too much goofiness for me at thattime, but I saw them again in a year or two and was blown away, thinking (and this was the Goo era which I really disliked) 'This is the band Sonic Youth wishes they could be'.

Every single one of thier albums are good. Sadly, they picked the wrong business model ('We can tour with Live and breakthrough opening up for them') - if they had stuck it out in the slow path I think they would be huge now (at least as big as Battles).

Everyneurotic 12.21.2007 05:42 PM

ohh no, it's not for lack of reccomendations, i actually want to check them out, i just haven't yet.

sun city girl 01.03.2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
everyneurotic, they covered caroliner on one of their eps . is that reccomendation enough?

and their version of 'outhouse of the pryeeeeeee' is probably the best cover version ever. this album is a masterpiece!

atsonicpark 01.03.2008 10:12 AM

yes.

probably the most consistently amazing band ever.

atsonicpark 09.20.2008 03:29 PM

http://www.mediafire.com/?w4vmmjyzijh

DOWNLOAD!

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 were remnants of San Francisco's hippie/freak culture of the 1960s, and heirs to the Residents' theatrical madness. Tangle (1989) and especially Lovelyville (1991) collected eccentric, amateurish, irreverent and manic-depressive miniatures that overflowed with echoes of the most disparate genres (free-jazz jamming, funeral music, heavy-metal riffs, Indian pow-wow music, folk lullabies). The unifying theme of these musical landmines was the performance, which evoked the Holy Modal Rounders in their most irrational moments. There was no limit to human imagination in the demented cabaret of Mother Of All Saints (1992), a chaotic excursus through jazz, bluegrass, exotica, Ennio Moriccone and Frank Zappa, a super-collage of sonic debris assembled by vocalist Anne Eickelberg, percussionist Jay Paget, multi-instrumentalists Brian Hageman and Mark Davies on a wealth of instruments. Faithful to Dada's principle of art as a paradox, the band was at its childish peak.

If you'd like to buy a copy, it's only $5:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

PAULYBEE2656 09.20.2008 04:11 PM

i only got this one (and the remaining tful282 albums i didnt have) last week. just listened to it 2 nights ago... its excellent...... i have a renewed fascination with this band.....

strangers in the universe is still one of my favourites....

greenbird 09.20.2008 04:37 PM

Downloading, I'm looking forward to hearing ths. I've been meaning to check them out for some time now.
The e-mails section on their site is great

ni'k 09.20.2008 05:02 PM

people are saying SY really ripped these guys off which is probably somewhat true. however does anyone else notice how star trek sounds so much like can song or in the bedroom which were done before this record came out.

atsonicpark 09.20.2008 05:38 PM

Strangers from the Universe rules, pauly!

My favorite is definitely the ep "admonishing the bishops". There's a great banjo/gospel singalong at the end... not to mention the song undertaker which is just unbelievable.

lechaoscestmoi 10.09.2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
My favorite is definitely the ep "admonishing the bishops". There's a great banjo/gospel singalong at the end... not to mention the song undertaker which is just unbelievable.

can anyone upload this?

i just can't seem to find it anywhere..

atsonicpark 10.09.2008 06:40 PM

do you have soulseek? if so add i300e, he definitely has it (thart's my best friend's account)...

batreleaser 10.09.2008 07:11 PM

lonelyville is so fucking crazy. atsonicpark, when you first told me about tful 282, id assume they were gonna be in the vein of polvo, that is, like, an ultra melodic sweeping guitar quasi-math indie rock band. i was shocked when i realized they were more in the vein of sun city girls, that is, theyre undefinable by anything less than 5000 word essays. there is so many elements to thier sound that i simply cant due them duty by discussingng them on a message board. incredible fucking band.