Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

LifeDistortion 10.10.2011 02:26 AM

Yep, "Breaking Bad" season finale was pretty damn wonderful. Love this show, I'm definately getting the series on DVD. I haven't been buying the seasons even though I've watched the show from episode one, but this is a show I can see myself watching over and over.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.10.2011 03:18 AM

LifeDistortion 10.13.2011 03:30 AM

Don't have the DVDs, but on MTV's website you can watch this and a number of their other animated shows from the 90's including the short films of "Liquid Television". Just watched a few episodes of this.

dirty bunny 10.13.2011 12:04 PM

I've started watching Tosh.0. I had heard about this show and it sounded truly awful. But dang it, that guy is funny. And the web redemptions are nice.

EVOLghost 10.13.2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

How is that? I was wondering if I should start reading the Manga.

nicfit 10.13.2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Yep, "Breaking Bad" season finale was pretty damn wonderful. Love this show, I'm definately getting the series on DVD. I haven't been buying the seasons even though I've watched the show from episode one, but this is a show I can see myself watching over and over.

And next season will be the last one! I think it's a wise decision.
Love it from start to finish.
Cranston is an amazing actor.

evollove 10.13.2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
I've started watching Tosh.0. I had heard about this show and it sounded truly awful. But dang it, that guy is funny. And the web redemptions are nice.

Flipping around the stations, a friend said, "Oh cool. Tosh is on."

I was like, "C'mon, there has to be something actually good on." At the time, I hadn't seen one second of the show.

Freind talked me into watching a little.

And dang it, you're right. Dude's got some comedy chops.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.13.2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
How is that? I was wondering if I should start reading the Manga.

Cool characters, ridiculous amounts of 'fan service', a nice sense of humor, and some great zombie killin' fun. I like it so much that I plan on scooping up the DVD's soon.

EVOLghost 10.13.2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Cool characters, ridiculous amounts of 'fan service', a nice sense of humor, and some great zombie killin' fun. I like it so much that I plan on scooping up the DVD's soon.

I see haha, I may look into it a bit more. I'm reading Oyasumi PunPun right by Inio Asano(who's art style is a bit different but still very awesome. He did 'What a Wonderful World' which is my favorite thing he's written so far.)...and I'm almost caught up with it so I'll be needing another to read.

Maybe I'll finish Detroit Metal City...it became a bit boring and repetitive.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.13.2011 04:28 PM

The only manga I've read were the original Drangonball books back as a youngster. I haven't touched the stuff since. Although, seeing as I'm just now getting into anime seriously... I'm sure manga is jut around the corner.

If you need further proof of the awesomeness of Highschool of the Dead - look no further than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtlMjRqfQs

nicfit 10.13.2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

The only manga I've read were the original Drangonball books back as a youngster. I haven't touched the stuff since. Although, seeing as I'm just now getting into anime seriously... I'm sure manga is jut around the corner.

If you need further proof of the awesomeness of Highschool of the Dead - look no further than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtlMjRqfQs

dude even your signature is actually from a manga adaptation :D ;)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.13.2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
dude even your signature is actually from a manga adaptation :D ;)

Well, I'll be damned... no wonder the film has such a comic-esque vibe to it. :o

nicfit 10.13.2011 05:30 PM

There's a lot of good stuff in the mangaworld, I'm sure you'll find many many gems if you dig a bit.

EVOLghost 10.14.2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

LOL! wow. I really couldn't have expected something more absurd.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.14.2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
There's a lot of good stuff in the mangaworld, I'm sure you'll find many many gems if you dig a bit.

Oh, I'm sure. I'm already a comic reader, so manga should be pretty easy for me t get into. Although I've gotta say... is it just me or does every anime series ever have a correlating manga series? Do they ever differentiate from eachother in plotline (especially those, where one isn't an adaptation of the other)?

Hmmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
LOL! wow. I really couldn't have expected something more absurd.

Yeah, man, it's great! I can't wait for season 2.

EVOLghost 10.14.2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Although I've gotta say... is it just me or does every anime series ever have a correlating manga series? Do they ever differentiate from eachother in plotline (especially those, where one isn't an adaptation of the other)?

Yes, most TV show's n stuff are based off Manga's. Most of them do not entirely stay true to the mangas(for instance Hellsing and a little of GTO). But animes a lot of times change the plot around a little bit to adjust to the time frame and audience.

batreleaser 10.15.2011 12:38 PM

everything just kind of pales in comparison to "Breaking Bad" for me right now. Still watch lots of comedy. Anyone find "Boardwalk Empire" convoluted and overrated as fuck?

Count Mecha 10.15.2011 10:37 PM

Never watched Bleach, have a friend though who's a big fan of it. I was always a One Piece guy myself.

Yeah, Breaking Bad is still badass. I only saw the first handful of episodes of Boardwalk Empire, but I enjoyed them. It didn't really feel any more convoluted than plenty of other HBO shows.

Count Mecha 10.30.2011 12:04 PM

In the spirit of Halloween, I've been watching those Are You Afraid of the Dark? episodes they've been playing on Teen Nick or whatever that channel is called. Show is still good, but as an adult, all the kid acting and goofy plot lines are painfully obvious, but that's part of the charm. What's not part of the charm is they keep playing all of the worst episodes of that show, it's a shame. But they did play the Zeke the Plumber episode of Salute Your Shorts. Which is actually a little more disturbing than I remembered. A noseless plumber blown up by a gas leak and now wears a plastic mask to hide his horribly scarred face that sucks your worst fears out through a plunger? Damn, you'll never stuff like that on Nickelodeon again.

stu666 10.30.2011 01:04 PM

Frozen Planet