Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Theory of a Young Girl (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=93922)

dead_battery 06.23.2013 05:41 PM

Theory of a Young Girl

"the Young-Girl is crazy about the authentic because it's a lie."

Kim was tweeting quotes from this recently.

This is the theory de jeune fille, written by someone from the milleu of french anarcho communist collective Tiqqun, who went on to become international artists/trainline disruptors.

Watch a documentary based on it here.

Or d/l an extract here.

Or read a version of it here.

As one amazon.co.uk commentator memorably surmises:
" Finally I realize why even old hairy men smell like temple prostitutes these days.
Everyone must have a sexual relationship with capital. etc."

(its called "jeune fille" but it applies to men as well.

Some quotes:

the Young-Girl knows the value of things ever so well.

Often, before decomposing too visibly, the Young-Girl gets married.

The Young-Girl is good for nothing but consuming; leisure or work, it makes no difference.

because of its having been put on a level of equivalence with all intimacy in general, the Young-Girl's intimacy has become something anonymous, exterior, and objectlike.

The Young-Girl never creates anything; she re-creates herself.

The Young-Girl is a reality as massive and brittle as the Spectacle.

Like all transitional forms, the Young-Girl is an oxymoron. She is also the first case of an asceticism without an ideal, of materialist penitence.

Cowardly devoted to the caprices of the Young-Girl, we've learned to detest her while obeying her.

The present sexual misery in no way resembles that of the past, because these are now bodies without desire, burning up inside because they can't satisfy these desires they don't have.

Over the course of its metastatic development, seduction has lost intensity while increasing its extension. Amorous discourse has never been so poor as it is now when everyone feels the duty to sing its praises and comment on it.

The Young-Girl doesn't look like a dead body, as one might presume from reading women's magazines; she looks like death itself.

Everyone looks to sell themselves and no one can manage to do it convincingly.

PS. The anti intellectual contingent of syg, with their oh so witty sneer based humour and reduction of things to a short list of references they can quickly reel off while showing a truly devastating cynical indifference, could just fuck off in advance.

!@#$%! 06.24.2013 10:35 AM

alright, your presentation style remains that of a snarling dog who doesn't know if he should approach a stranger or bite him, but regardless, good shit linked here, thanks. i've been reading this on/off since yesterday and it's pretty good, very "french" in style, which is always a pleasure (vs. the angloamerican analytical approach), and the characterization of the "type" is spot-on. at the same time when i read the loose quotes i get the sense that this was written by people who remained involuntarily celibate way into their 20s and slightly resentful towards their unattainable lolitas. however, things come better into context when it's read from the start. and it's good stuff, and i haven't read anything like this in a long time, by which i mean-- it makes one thinks of new things and it's not just recycled stuff and while it repeats a lot of things already said it also adds something (e.g., although i can't help to be reminded of scenes from masculin/féminin when i read it, it's not the same thing at all). tl;dr- people who read this won't be disappointed, but start from the beginning, i.e.

Quote:

Under the hypnotic grimaces of official pacification, a war is being waged. A war that can no longer be called simply economic, social, or humanitarian, because it is total. And though each of us senses that our existence has become a battlefield where neuroses, phobias, somatizations, depression, and anguish are but a kind of defeated retreat, no one can grasp the trajectory of the battle or understand what's at stake in it. Paradoxically, it's because of the total character of this war - total in its means no less than in its ends - that it could be invisible in the first place.

To open force the empire prefers underhanded methods, chronic prevention, and the spread of molecules of constraint through everyday life. Its internal (endo) cop-ization clearly relays the general cop-ization, as individual self-control does social control. The new police are imperceptible because they're omnipresent.

anyway, i'm rambling, so i'd better get back to reading.

Toilet & Bowels 06.24.2013 11:32 AM

Thanks, my sister has a kind of beef with these Young-Girls types, not that she's read this or named them, kind of just gets irritated by girls who fit this description

!@#$%! 06.24.2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Thanks, my sister has a kind of beef with these Young-Girls types, not that she's read this or named them, kind of just figured gets irritated by girls who fit this description

thing is though, it's not just "girls"-- it can be a (and often is) a bro, it can be an old man, etc. read up, read up, it's pretty great.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.24.2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

The young girl would thus be the being that no longer has intimacy, with herself except as value, and whose every activity, in every detail, is directed to self-valorization. At each moment, she affirms herself as the sovereign subject of her own reification. The unquestionable character of her power, all the crushing assurance of this flattened being, woven exclusively by the conventions, codes, and representations fleetingly in effect, all the authority that the least of her gestures incarnates, all of this is immediately indexed to her absolute transparency to society. Precisely because of her nothingness, each of her judgments carries the imperative weight of the entire social order, and SHE KNOWS IT

Quote:

The young girl is the figure of the total and sovereign consumer, she carries herself as such in every domain of existence. The young-girl know so very well the value of things.
Women are the origin of human civilization and societies. Women domesticated animals, women domesticated plants, and women domesticated men. There is a raw power emminating from womanhood, some women know how to abuse it, others are oblivious or naive even to its existence. However, it is a force of nature, almost Divine power.

That women are the focal point of a modern, post-hegemonic age is not surprising, they were the focal point of every human society since our most primitive roots. Its what truly separates us from other primates, a unique matriarchy where the brute strength of males is countered by the finesse, charm, and intelligence of the female. In that regard, whether 100,000 years ago or in 1999 pre-Millenial France, that ontological truth hasn't changed, though it has morphed.

The modern world economy flows through women, and an epic stage of life for women is this "Young-girl" teenage through twenties years where such women seem to be invincible while also being completely vulnerable. Then again, aren't we all?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.24.2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Insofar as her apperance entirely exhausts her essence, as her representation does her reality, the Young-Girl is that which is entirely expressible, perfectly predictable, and absolutely neutralized

Maybe I'm not dating the right women in their 20s here, but I think of 20-something women as the OPPOSITE of predictable or neutralized ;)

dale_gribble 06.24.2013 03:54 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SuchFriendsAreDangerous again.

dead_battery 06.24.2013 04:05 PM

high five bro! we sure are dumb huh

Rob Instigator 06.24.2013 04:08 PM

They are predictable in the inpredictability.

dale_gribble 06.24.2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery
high five bro! we sure are dumb huh

haha, you crack me up.

!@#$%! 06.24.2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Divine power.

ontological truth

such women

Trama 06.25.2013 08:24 AM

French version:
http://www.bloom0101.org/jeunefille.pdf

Trama 06.25.2013 10:15 AM

The young-girl is the bloom figure.

Trama 06.25.2013 10:31 AM

Anyway, fuck this bullshit. You can suck muh dick dead_battery. Fuck you.

!@#$%! 06.25.2013 10:33 AM

i haven't had this much pleasure reading anything in a long time.

!@#$%! 06.25.2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama

????

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 10:38 AM

This thread is confusing.

dead_battery 06.25.2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama

???

!@#$%! 06.25.2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
This thread is confusing.

don't sweat the thread. read the pdf, which is great.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
don't sweat the thread. read the pdf, which is great.

jesus christ. 56 pages. gonna have to print it out and read it at lunch, although I am now in the middle of Rudy Rucker's Geometry, Relativity, and the Fourth Dimension