Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 09.04.2016 01:20 PM

Birds in the Trap is dope in my opinion. Some different producers than Rodeo which gives it a different sound. Still need more listens though.

louder 09.04.2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Wow. Do you believe it?

I don't. He's been talking about retirement for years now.

Severian 09.04.2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Birds in the Trap is dope in my opinion. Some different producers than Rodeo which gives it a different sound. Still need more listens though.

Yeah, lots of solid tracks. Keeps sounding good to me.

louder 09.05.2016 09:50 AM

That new Isaiah Rashad though.. been listening to it multiple times every day since its release. What an incredible album.

Severian 09.05.2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

That new Isaiah Rashad though.. been listening to it multiple times every day since its release. What an incredible album.

Just listened to a bit of this for the first time. I kept forgetting about it because of Birds.

It is definitely solid. I'm not sure why, but it's not really getting much coverage. Kinda seems like it's being pushed to the side, which is unfortunate. Isaiah Rashad is a really skilled rapper, and this new one has more of an "album-album" feel than some of the other releases that have been hogging the spotlight (like Everybody Looking, Jeffery... the former of which definitely has a "mixtapey" vibe even though I quite like it)

Severian 09.05.2016 10:36 AM

Has anyone given the new De La Soul a listen? If not, I don't understand why. Please correct.

louder 09.05.2016 11:03 AM

I keep forgetting..

noisereductions 09.05.2016 01:43 PM

Yeah keep meaning to for sure

louder 09.06.2016 01:04 AM

I love how chill Isaiah's album is.. he's a big OutKast and Gorillaz fan and you can hear it in his sound. Southernplayalistic and ATLiens influence are all over the album in particular. It's also a very personal album, in a way I can relate to. His whole story about his battle with depression hit me pretty heavily.

This album is a journey.

louder 09.06.2016 01:11 AM

Quote:

Just listened to a bit of this for the first time. I kept forgetting about it because of Birds.

It is definitely solid. I'm not sure why, but it's not really getting much coverage. Kinda seems like it's being pushed to the side, which is unfortunate. Isaiah Rashad is a really skilled rapper, and this new one has more of an "album-album" feel than some of the other releases that have been hogging the spotlight (like Everybody Looking, Jeffery... the former of which definitely has a "mixtapey" vibe even though I quite like it)

You can blame TDE for that.. the only artist they promote is Kendrick.

Jay Rock's dope ass album from last year was left in the bushes as well. Sucks..

Severian 09.06.2016 10:14 AM

I'm not going to lie, this Lil Wayne photo from his appearance with Drake the other day actually kinda pumped me up. Made me remember the good times.

Severian 09.06.2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

You can blame TDE for that.. the only artist they promote is Kendrick.

Jay Rock's dope ass album from last year was left in the bushes as well. Sucks..

90059? Yeah I liked that joint too. But even though I liked it, I didn't give it much play, and I don't really know why. TDE does seem to have a promotion issue with everyone who isn't Kendrick, though they did seem to give Schoolboy a lot of push before he signed to interscope.

louder 09.06.2016 11:13 AM

Gucci reveals he just did a feature for OutKast:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/new-o...at-reveal.html

DEAR LORD!!

Severian 09.07.2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Gucci reveals he just did a feature for OutKast:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/new-o...at-reveal.html

DEAR LORD!!

Yeah, I heard about this. But what does it mean? This okayplayer article is the first one I've read that seems to be concluding that a new OutKast project is in the woks because of Gucci's comment. I'm not sure I want to entertain such a thought, because the chances are slim and I don't want to be let down.

He also said, of course, that he did a record for Wayne (which I strange given recent events), as well as Boosie, E-40 and Project Pat.

Project Pat? When was the last time you heard anyone talk about Project Pat? Been a minute.

Still, I'd be crazy stoked to hear a new Gucci x André x Big Boi joint, even if it's just a one off single, or guest appearances from the OutKast boys on a Gucci track. Something > nothing. And Gucci's in a good place right now. I like Everybody Looking quite a bit, even though it lacks some of the fire and vitality of his early work.

Severian 09.07.2016 09:38 AM

I'm really liking the Sub's Tirade. A LOT. It's just a really strong, no bullshit hip-hop record with sharp lyrics, dope flows, and a sense of purpose that's often lacking in today's rap.

I think the world has wanted Schoolboy Q to be Kendrick's bizarro twin. Actually, I know this is the case. TDE wanted that too. And it may be that he is. But Clivia Demo was a much stronger record than OxyMoron, and I think the Sun's Tirade is a stronger record than Blank Faces LP. If anyone's pulling off a yin to Kendrick's yang, I think it's Rashad.

With this record, he deserves to be at the forefront of modern hip-hop right alongside K and Chance. You mentioned TDE's failure to effectively promote him. Well, they'd do well to get the fuck over that. He's an ace in the hole. A volatile dude, sure, but he has chops and he has class. Sun's Tirade, like TPAB and Coloring Book, is a great example of where hip-hop could and should be headed. It's appropriate for the times. It's smart as hell. Might be one of my favorite rap albums of the year.

louder 09.07.2016 10:00 AM

You're real for this! I love Schoolboy but I prefer Isaiah as well, and both of his albums are indeed better than Schoolboy's. I also like how you put The Sun's Tirade up there with TPAB and Coloring Book.

Severian 09.07.2016 10:32 AM

I also recently started listening to untitled unmastered. again. I could do without a few of the transitional moments, but when you break that puppy down into verses it is the very definition of fire (and I kinda hate that word.) "Untitled 1" and "Untitled 5" in particular are just :eek: ... wow. Untitled 1 has one of the absolute best verses of the year, up there with Chance's "Ultralight Beam" show-stopper.

The album/mini-album was kind of pushed aside by the slew of other high profile releases that came out around the same time and since, but I think folks will look back on it fondly. I feel like Kendrick is either going to have a long, genre-defining career, or he's going to have a really short genre-defining career. But either way, I think untitled is a valuable part of his discography already. You mentioned that you'd sort of lost interest in it, as had I, but I hope you give it another spin before list-making time comes.

Severian 09.07.2016 10:33 AM

Also, I think my favorite Colorinng Book track is "Angels" oddly enough. I can bump that song any time of any day.

Rob Instigator 09.07.2016 11:35 AM

The Drake/Future show here in the H last weekend went 4 hours.

http://www.houstonpress.com/music/dr...rathon-8735096

and he is already on the UH Cougar bandwagon!

louder 09.07.2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

I also recently started listening to untitled unmastered. again. I could do without a few of the transitional moments, but when you break that puppy down into verses it is the very definition of fire (and I kinda hate that word.) "Untitled 1" and "Untitled 5" in particular are just :eek: ... wow. Untitled 1 has one of the absolute best verses of the year, up there with Chance's "Ultralight Beam" show-stopper.

The album/mini-album was kind of pushed aside by the slew of other high profile releases that came out around the same time and since, but I think folks will look back on it fondly. I feel like Kendrick is either going to have a long, genre-defining career, or he's going to have a really short genre-defining career. But either way, I think untitled is a valuable part of his discography already. You mentioned that you'd sort of lost interest in it, as had I, but I hope you give it another spin before list-making time comes.

Oh don't get me wrong, I still really like untitled unmastered. Kendrick's verse on Untitled 05 is one of my favorites of the year, and I fucking love Untitled 06 with Cee-Lo.