Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   favorite member of wu-tang clan? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31687)

atsonicpark 05.31.2009 08:06 AM

favorite member of wu-tang clan?

I'm going to have to go with Ghostface... followed by GZA...

Inhuman 05.31.2009 08:09 AM

I second Ghostface, followed by RZA for the killa beats.

Derek 05.31.2009 08:13 AM

GZA and then Ghostface.

SuperCreep 05.31.2009 08:14 AM

GZA.

atsonicpark 05.31.2009 08:26 AM

Haha.

Which joker is going to reply with "U-God"?

noisereductions 05.31.2009 08:54 AM

Ghostface. No question. He's the only one that I really feel has stayed relevant and still puts out consistently interesting albums.

sarramkrop 05.31.2009 08:57 AM

Ghostface.

demonrail666 05.31.2009 09:01 AM

GZA and RZA

jennthebenn 05.31.2009 09:19 AM

GZA, then Ghostface. It's close.

noisereductions 05.31.2009 09:23 AM

GZA and Rae both made amazing albums, but I dont feel that they've sustained that momentum. I think GZA is still a great lyricist, but doesn't compile full albums that keep me interested. Rae seems to be really getting awesome lately, though. The Da Vinci Code mixtapes were really good, and his recent guest spots (The Game, DOOM, etc) have been great. So maybe CUBAN LINX 2 will be an amazing comeback.

Ghost on the other hand seems to really challenge himself. I put him in the same category as MF Doom or Lil Wayne as people that really, well, TRY to always raise the bar.

themawt71 05.31.2009 09:31 AM

all of the above but what about odb? return to the 36 is a great cd.

noisereductions 05.31.2009 09:46 AM

Yes, RETURN is a great CD. But one great CD does not a great MC make.

al shabbray 05.31.2009 09:58 AM

RZA, ODB, Method Man
in no particular order

Danny Himself 05.31.2009 10:03 AM

Me and my girlfriend have a series of mixtapes we've made under the title "Method Man is the best member of Wu Tang Clan"- this being her summation and not mine; he's arguably the best dancer and best looking member of the clan, but I don't think he's the best.

A good quote from Method is buried at the end of 'Can It Be All So Simple', where he speaks of GZA "we all form like voltron and he just happens to be the head". It could be the Genius. He doesn't really have the best lyrics but he does overall seem to be a good representative of the group. This being said, I love the RZA for his producution, his verse on '4th Chamber'* and the whole Bob Digi series which is a whole lot of fun.

Ghost and Rae are good, I'm not going to ignore them, but they're always too tied up in the mafioso subject matter that I'm not terribly interested in. Ghost has the best most vicious verse on 'Da Mystery Of Chessboxin' and Rae shines on Cuban Linx but it's just their personas that I don't find terribly appealing compared to others.

Inspectah Deck's verse in CREAM is amazing, by the way. U-God is the Tom Waits of the rap world. And we have an APB on an MC Killa, looks like the work of a master. Meh. It'd be a cop-out to choose ODB as my favourite, although he may be one of the most original vocalists in hip hop ever, as well as a straight-up lunatic and you've gotta love 'em. This is such a difficult fucking question! Ah, fuck it. I know:

Simply because he's been caught playing chess in a bar I frequent, his production is wonderful, Wu would've got nowhere without him and the aforementioned:

Camouflage chameleon, ninjas scaling your buildin'
No time to grab the gun, they already got your wife and children.

Danny Himself 05.31.2009 10:06 AM

can we have a poll please

al shabbray 05.31.2009 10:13 AM

wise words danny, wise words.

Danny Himself 05.31.2009 10:47 AM

Straight from tha slumz of shaolin

The Earl Of Slander 05.31.2009 10:57 AM

If we're talking about who has been the best, at the top of their game, then it's definitely GZA for me. Liquid Swords is just unbelievable. That said, if we're talking favourite overall, it'll always be Ghostface, for the reason that noisereductions has stated. He's definitely the member that I'll always be most exited to see a new release from.

RZA kind of deserves a separate consideration. He’s a pretty good rapper, but doesn’t touch GZA, Ghostface, ETC, and yet with his production he’s really a big part of what made the Clan so great. Can’t ignore him. Also, although I’m aware that, objectively, it’s flawed, “Bobby Digital in Stereo” is one of my favourite Wu solo albums. Domestic Violence!

demonrail666 05.31.2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Yes, RETURN is a great CD. But one great CD does not a great MC make.

Someone needs to tell Nas that.

Decayed Rhapsody 05.31.2009 11:23 AM

GZA, followed closely by Ghostface.