Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

LifeDistortion 08.10.2020 11:47 AM

Severian 08.11.2020 07:46 AM

Surprisingly good film. Nice style. Bale good as always.
Matt Damon must be given top billing because he’s the bigger name, because this film is very much about Christian Bale’s character (apparently a British driver named Ken Miles). Anyway, good stuff. Little heavy on foreshadowing, but overall no major complaints.

NYCgaf16 08.12.2020 03:51 AM

i have a plan to watch singles.... and maybe watch another sailor moon series

NYCgaf16 08.13.2020 02:11 PM

i did it

!@#$%! 08.13.2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16

i did it

haa haaa haaaa!
that was always such an awful movie
it’s true to stereotypes rather than “true to life.” a bit of a cartoon.

for a more fun/accurate picture of the era instead let me recommend maybe... linklater’s “slackers” or even “before sunrise” (this is a small movie but does reflect fashions and attitudes of the era). “the year punk broke” of course. rose troche’s “go fish” which isn’t a great film but it’s very representative of its time, almost a documentary. “kids” too, i fucking hate that movie, but it was near documentary. oh, any of the kevin smith movies of that time, as well. gus van sant’s “my own private idaho” works too even though it’s reimagined shakespeare, and “to die for” is underrated and prescient.
“fight club” for sure. “terminator 2”? yeah. and in a way too, “the matrix.” oh, also “memento.” “empire records” maybe? “pulp fiction” of course...

ok i gtg...

Severian 08.13.2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
haa haaa haaaa!
that was always such an awful movie
it’s true to stereotypes rather than “true to life.” a bit of a cartoon.

for a more fun/accurate picture of the era instead let me recommend maybe... linklater’s “slackers” or even “before sunrise” (this is a small movie but does reflect fashions and attitudes of the era). “the year punk broke” of course. rose troche’s “go fish” which isn’t a great film but it’s very representative of its time, almost a documentary. “kids” too, i fucking hate that movie, but it was near documentary. oh, any of the kevin smith movies of that time, as well. gus van sant’s “my own private idaho” works too even though it’s reimagined shakespeare, and “to die for” is underrated and prescient.
“fight club” for sure. “terminator 2”? yeah. and in a way too, “the matrix.” oh, also “memento.” “empire records” maybe? “pulp fiction” of course...

ok i gtg...

Of course it’s true to stereotypes, but it’s fun.
There was even a little video in Seattle’s Experience Music Project about this, and how it really kinda just completely failed to capture what was happening in the area at the time on several levels.

But it’s fun.

“I’m walking down the avenue-hoo-hoo hoo hoo hoo”

tw2113 08.13.2020 04:12 PM

Best part about the movie Singles is the soundtrack.

!@#$%! 08.13.2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Of course it’s true to stereotypes, but it’s fun.

nah, it was awful. i hated it so much lol. it was like made by an old man trying to figure out “what the kids were doing” from watching commercials or something. terrible.

Quote:

There was even a little video in Seattle’s Experience Music Project about this, and how it really kinda just completely failed to capture what was happening in the area at the time on several levels.

ah, if you could point me to it, it would be great

Quote:

But it’s fun.

nooooo. it’s awful! :D

Quote:

“I’m walking down the avenue-hoo-hoo hoo hoo hoo”

i don’t remember that part i think i blocked ot out of memory as self-defense haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113

yes probably. the fuckers were really milking the fad for all it was worth at the time.

choc e-Claire 08.13.2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

you act like that's not why he watched it in the first place :D

!@#$%! 08.13.2020 08:12 PM

WAIT WAIT WAIT. no. shit. i confused it with “reality bites,” another horror of the same era. so much so that they got conflated in my mind. winona was never in singles.

ok, i think i remember it better now, singles was sillier, and possibly fun to an extent. “we’re #1 in belgium” or something, yes? lol.

still forgettable. but sorry about introducing confusion into the thread.

oh, another worthy 90s memorabilia, a lot of wesley snipes stuff: new jack city, white men can’t jump, passenger 57, blade

oh, and speaking of black protagonists, of course: friday, and all the sequels. oh and hahaha house party! who can forget house party? probably still hilarious. do the right thing! holy shit do the right thing was epochal. less important but close to the imagination of the time, the fifth element. also with chris tucker, rush hour, ha ha ha ha.

johny mnemonic! that was the first william gibson film adaptation i guess. that’s so fucking 90s. almost all of keanu in the 90s is very 90s. point break. speed, of course. same case with huh, whats his name... jim carrey! amd stuff by the farrely brothers... dumb and dumber, kingpin, something about mary...

Severian 08.14.2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

WAIT WAIT WAIT. no. shit. i confused it with “reality bites,” another horror of the same era. so much so that they got conflated in my mind. winona was never in singles.

ok, i think i remember it better now, singles was sillier, and possibly fun to an extent. “we’re #1 in belgium” or something, yes? lol.

still forgettable. but sorry about introducing confusion into the thread.

Yeah man, Singles is Cameron Crowe. It’s deliberately stupid, and quite fun.
They shot in and around Seattle for a lot of scenes, too, but yeah, it failed to capture the moment accurately.
That video probably isn’t at the EMP anymore, this was from back when the giant pimple first opened.

But yeah, I love Singles and I always will.
The songs Paul Westerberg recorded for the soundtrack are very goofy too, but very good, sweet pop songs.

Reality Bites has Winona but… much less dumb fun value

NYCgaf16 08.14.2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

The songs Paul Westerberg recorded for the soundtrack are very goofy too, but very good, sweet pop songs.

i prefer touch me i'm dick :D

Severian 08.14.2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
i prefer touch me i'm dick :D

That specific joke probably hasn’t held up super well haha

choc e-Claire 08.14.2020 10:18 PM

Pretty stupid, but not without its charms.

tw2113 08.14.2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

Pretty stupid, but not without its charms.

More like pretty damn awesome. I absolutely love this movie.

choc e-Claire 08.14.2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

More like pretty damn awesome. I absolutely love this movie.

My family's been watching a movie every week for both enforced togetherness and a cultural education. Mum decided that she absolutely had to make us watch this, so she bought it and instantly chose it at her turn.
I feel like it's one that I'm unlikely to watch again, but it does what I enjoy - absurd premises taken extremely literally.

tw2113 08.14.2020 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
My family's been watching a movie every week for both enforced togetherness and a cultural education. Mum decided that she absolutely had to make us watch this, so she bought it and instantly chose it at her turn.
I feel like it's one that I'm unlikely to watch again, but it does what I enjoy - absurd premises taken extremely literally.

If you can't trust the governments of the world...then who can you trust? *looks around nervously*

!@#$%! 08.14.2020 11:48 PM

STOP MAKING SENSE (JONATHAN DEMME + TALKING HEADS, 1984)

wow. i had never seen the whole thing. wow.

tw2113 08.15.2020 12:59 AM

Quote:

STOP MAKING SENSE (JONATHAN DEMME + TALKING HEADS, 1984)

wow. i had never seen the whole thing. wow.

Worth every second

a baby in 1980 08.15.2020 01:24 AM

Amores Perros