Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands that were awful and then got awesome? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24386)

noisereductions 08.14.2008 07:13 AM

Bands that were awful and then got awesome?

Someone had to start this one.

_slavo_ 08.14.2008 07:21 AM

Someone might disagree, but I'm saying Labradford.

The first LPs were not so good (although not "awful" by any means) but since "E Luxo So" the things started to move up rapidly.

SYRFox 08.14.2008 07:36 AM

My Bloody Valentine

al shabbray 08.14.2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
My Bloody Valentine

agree with that

noisereductions 08.14.2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
My Bloody Valentine

That's who was in my head. BUt I dont know if they were awful. I'd say they were mediocre.

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 08:14 AM

Can't think of any.

batreleaser 08.14.2008 09:00 AM

for some reason i feel inclined to say black dice. they started out as second rate teenage noisecore thugs, and become a wonderful experimental trio dabbing in everything from idm, post punk, synthesizers, hip hop, ambient, etc..

also, magik markers. those who still hate them will disagree obviously, but once again, a second rate noisecore band who seemed they were making noise for noise sakes. but then 'boss' came out, and they were able to maintain thier noise and hardcore backbone, while incorprating great guitar melodies, 70s psych rock influences, nice rhythms, hooks, and in my opinion thier secret weapon, elisa's lyrics (very poetic, wierd, etc..) and her voice which i think is unique as they come. anyways, from what was a totally run of the mill, guaranteed a spot on the no fun lineup, generic noisecore band, s now a psychedelic/hardcore/noise rock band with lots of potential me thinks. im sure plenty of you will disagree.

noisereductions 08.14.2008 09:04 AM

yeah, I'd agree on Black Dice. I remember a friend of mine had a lot of their early shiz, and was all about it and I couldnt get into it. By the time I saw them in 2002 they were getting far more interesting...

al shabbray 08.14.2008 09:11 AM

i wonder who supported sonic youth last time on the DDN gig in berlin. 2 guys one medium build, playing a synth and one thurstonesqe thinny guy playing stomboxes and I think kaoss pad. it wasnt that good...it wasnt wolf eyes I know for sure :) btw the concert chronology doesnt mention them at all

batreleaser 08.14.2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al shabbray
i wonder who supported sonic youth last time on the DDN gig in berlin. 2 guys one medium build, playing a synth and one thurstonesqe thinny guy playing stomboxes and I think kaoss pad. it wasnt that good...it wasnt wolf eyes I know for sure :) btw the concert chronology doesnt mention them at all

was it perhaps robedoor? theyre a duo and play wierd instruments and make tribalistic psych noise, and i know theyve been suporting sonic youth here and there. if it was, you should definitley give them another shot, theyre really good.

deflinus 08.14.2008 09:42 AM

radiohead?

a lot of people dont like pablo honey or the bends.

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 09:43 AM

Have thought about this some more......

...still can't think of any.

There are plenty of groups who started out okay and got a lot better, but I can't think of any that were AWFUL and it ended up being great...

Danny Himself 08.14.2008 09:53 AM

Pavement. OH I WENT THERE

noisereductions 08.14.2008 10:04 AM

Ween were AWFUL then got awesome then got boring.

o o o 08.14.2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by al shabbray

i did not see them play, but i seem to remember it was Birds of Delay.

luckynumber9 08.14.2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deflinus
radiohead?

a lot of people dont like pablo honey or the bends.

The Bends is one of their best albums!

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 12:06 PM

Toilet & Bowels 08.14.2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o o o
i did not see them play, but i seem to remember it was Birds of Delay.

birds of delay supported sonic youth?!?!?!?!?!?!?! BOD are dilletantes and poseurs if ever any existed!

dazedcola 08.14.2008 06:27 PM

The difference between dinosaur jr's first album and YLAOM is a stunning accomplishment.

LittlePuppetBoy 08.14.2008 08:15 PM

Radiohead