Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ethiopiques (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1661)

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.09.2006 02:45 PM

Ethiopiques

I don't remember who recommended this series, but I remember it being a world music thread. Yeah, I'm too lazy to look it up.

Whoever you are, I FUCKING LOVE YOU.

hat and beard 05.10.2006 04:03 PM

I'm not the one who recommended it, but helllll yeah those are some good CDs. Volume 4 and the Muhmoud Ahmed ones are my favorites. Everybody should do themselves a favor and go buy as many of these as they can afford.

themawt71 05.10.2006 04:46 PM

yeah the one ive got is really good. the guitar comes in playing something then when the drums come in the "1" is in a totally different place.

hat and beard- on the rollins show jeff bridges said he wants to play moondog in a movie. would be interesting. are you referencing the dolphy tune and the moondog pic with yr name?

krastian 05.10.2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
hat and beard- on the rollins show jeff bridges said he wants to play moondog in a movie. would be interesting. are you referencing the dolphy tune and the moondog pic with yr name?

I saw that too. Jeff Bridges as Moondog.....ha, that'd be pretty wild.

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.10.2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat and beard
I'm not the one who recommended it, but helllll yeah those are some good CDs. Volume 4 and the Muhmoud Ahmed ones are my favorites. Everybody should do themselves a favor and go buy as many of these as they can afford.

Volume 4 is my favorite so far too!! To think there are 20 some in the entire series.

Toilet & Bowels 05.10.2006 07:23 PM

i have a couple of those, they are fucking fantastic. music doesn't get better. vol.13 is my favourite.

does anyopne know which volume the songs in broken flowers come from?

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.10.2006 07:27 PM

Volume 4 had a sticker that said it featured 4 songs from Broken Flowers.

Toilet & Bowels 05.10.2006 07:36 PM

cool, thanks.

pokkeherrie 05.11.2006 06:13 AM

i've recently started listening to these too. wonderful series.

hat and beard 05.12.2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71

yep. and to top it all off i usually sport a hat and beard.

!@#$%! 05.12.2006 04:46 PM

the soundtrack of that movie was fucking amazing. i remember reading the credits looking for who had played what, but of course it all evaporated as i walked out of the place.

i'll be checking this out.

porkmarras 02.06.2007 04:19 PM

Bump!

pokkeherrie 02.06.2007 07:03 PM

Since this got bumped, let's all take a moment to listen to Mohammed "Jimmy" Mohammed, who appeared on Vol. 2 of the Ethiopiques series and who passed away a couple of months ago. I saw him about 3-4 times opening up/playing after The Ex and it was probably him who made me want to check out the Ethiopiques series in the first place. I've nicked the text/translation and mp3 below from someone's blog:

De Volkskrant, 23 december 2006:
“Jimmy” Mohammed Has Passed Away

“Ethiopian Singer Mohammed “Jimmy” Mohammed has died last Sunday in Addis Abeba. He was sick. Mohammed, a blind man, gifted with passionate singing skills based on improvisation, was known in the Netherlands for his co-operation with guitar player Terrie Ex and drummer Han Bennink. His trio toured successfully through France, Italy and Austria recently. He also played at the Crossing Border Festival at The Hague. This year his album “Takkabel!” was launched at Dutch Terp Records. Mohammed “Jimmy” Mohammed was 45 years old”.

Mohammed Jimmy Mohammed - Sewetchi Men Yilalu (from Takkabel! - Terp Records 2006)
http://d.turboupload.com/d/1357990/S...ilalu.mp3.html

RdTv 02.06.2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i have a couple of those, they are fucking fantastic. music doesn't get better. vol.13 is my favourite.

does anyopne know which volume the songs in broken flowers come from?

Vol.4 I believe, in whatever case its the one which features Mulatu Astatke.

porkmarras 02.06.2007 08:52 PM

I bought volume one of this and fell in love at the time i was obsessed with collecting Stereolab who were much into them.I think these records made me discover a new way of hearing music altogether and i never,ever get tired of them.

nomadicfollower 02.10.2007 02:19 PM

Thank you.
This has been a goal of mine; to get into more traditional or more cultural music and this seems like quite a good place to start.

Пятхъдесят Шест 02.10.2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Thank you.
This has been a goal of mine; to get into more traditional or more cultural music and this seems like quite a good place to start.

I know you know about this thread, right?!

World Music

Nice collaborative we've got going there.

nomadicfollower 02.10.2007 06:48 PM

This being a rather recent goal, and considering memory is only good with in depth excursions, I've seen the thread, read through it (however, not very thoroughly), and ultimately forgot about it.
Now, being reaquianted, I will join the thread and hopefully contribute some.