Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Daydream Nation re-issue - Eric's Trip tacked on (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12386)

sonikjuice 04.19.2007 07:01 AM

Daydream Nation re-issue - Eric's Trip tacked on

I think it is a shame that a demo is tacked on at the end of the re-issue. Why not just have the album on disc one? I know it is easy to shut of the stereo after the album concludes, but I feel that the demo cheapens the album. I'd prefer to have the album end in its original form. Maybe I am too much of a purist, but I find these bonus tracks to be more irritating than anything. Will anyone listen to a home demo more than once?

sun city girl 04.19.2007 07:37 AM

hard to say until we hear it. i guess there must be a reason to include it.

Rob Instigator 04.19.2007 09:51 AM

I will listen to anything sonic youth put out repeatedly.

and who cares? it is a re-issue with bonus tracks. they and maybe due to US, are going to put as much as they can upon that mo-fo. give us everything!

Everyneurotic 04.19.2007 10:19 AM

don't buy it, buy the regular ddn version instead if they annoy you so much.

SonicSam 04.19.2007 12:51 PM

I do see his point a bit, demo tracks suck.

jetengine 04.19.2007 01:04 PM

I think this new Daydream Nation package is the most inconsistent title yet in their deluxe edition/remaster series.

I mean, the deluxe Dirty was as good as perfect; ditto for Thurston's deluxe Psychic Hearts and the deluxe Sonic Youth (only one question remains: Will the Edson/Demarinis "Noise Fest", "White Columns" and any other tapes ever be released as a legitimate package...?). The remastered Whitey Album was nice, although I'm baffled as to why it would be reissued for the second time and "****" from the Nothing Short Of Total War sampler still not be included.

The first real stumbling block for me was the deluxe Goo. To me, it appears somewhat redundant, with much empty space, and the live tracks from the Dirty Boots EP all but ignored. If they hadn't strung the original album out over three sides, had included only select/choice tracks from the demos (or the ones that had served as official b-sides), and included all the live tracks from Dirty Boots (and maybe other/unreleased tracks from the same Irvine, CA concert), what a hell of a package it would have been. If they had then wished, they could have even reissued the Goo Demos as a separate title on vinyl for the first time (legitimately)--I'm sure it would have drummed them up some extra business.

The deluxe Daydream Nation should have included the Candle promo EP b-sides, the live "Silver Rocket" single and its 2 live b-sides, and at least 2 other versions of "Silver Rocket" that people are constantly combing the file-sharing sites and ebay looking for: "Take 6" from that British EP, and the live version that makes up one half of that split flexi included in that Spanish rock zine. The live version used in the official video would have been nice as well. To this, they should have added whatever demos they deemed worthy, and maybe some live versions. Unless used as b-sides, the cover tunes should not have been included--they seem out of place musically, as well as chronologically. (Frankly, I think it's about time that SY released all these cover tunes as a legitimate collection. I mean, these bootleg compilations--The Covers, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Lost Tracks, Rare Tracks, etc.--have been coming out for years; they might as well do it properly in their own way, and maybe make a little dough in the process.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the Daydream deluxe reissue. How do the rest of you feel?

tesla69 04.19.2007 01:56 PM

I hear what you're saying sonikjuice. All those Fall reissues contain peel sessions which is fairly redundant because most Fall fans will have picked up the complete Peel session set. It feels like a ripoff to buy a double CD set where one half of one disc is from Peel sessions that've already been released several times.

I suspect they have to purchase the rights to the cover songs and the cost/benefit may not come out well.

fluxequalsrad 04.19.2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonikjuice
I think it is a shame that a demo is tacked on at the end of the re-issue. Why not just have the album on disc one? I know it is easy to shut of the stereo after the album concludes, but I feel that the demo cheapens the album. I'd prefer to have the album end in its original form. Maybe I am too much of a purist, but I find these bonus tracks to be more irritating than anything. Will anyone listen to a home demo more than once?

I wish there was more tacked on the first disk after the album. Otherwise I think you are wrong.

soniknirve 04.19.2007 11:18 PM

being such a purist why would you want a remastered copy?

sonikjuice 04.20.2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniknirve
being such a purist why would you want a remastered copy?

I have the original Enigma LP on vinyl, but I don't listen to it too much because I don't want to wear it out. I also have the DGC reissue on CD. If the reissue sounds better than the DGC release, I would be willing to pay for it, simply because Daydream Nation is my all-time favorite album. If the remastered version drastically alters the sound of the album, I probably won't buy it. So, to answer your question, I may or may not want a remastered copy.

fluxequalsrad 04.20.2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

. I also have the DGC reissue on CD. .

untr00 fan alert!

sonikjuice 04.20.2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
untr00 fan alert!

What the hell does that mean?

fluxequalsrad 04.20.2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

What the hell does that mean?

it means you are not a tr00 fan.

sonikjuice 04.20.2007 12:43 AM

"tr00"? Do you mean "true"? How clever. Is that what passes for slang these days?

fluxequalsrad 04.20.2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

"tr00"? Do you mean "true"? How clever. Is that what passes for slang these days?

untr00 fan alert

hellotwentyfifteen 04.20.2007 02:03 AM

wait, youre telling me that the reissue is just daydream nation with a single demo track at the end

man that is such bullshit ive been waiting years for this. i love the live stuff they did then and all the daydream nation era stuff. they really had somthing going then.

the dirty reissue kindof sucked because it had 34 songs i hadnt heard and then just shitty jams of the songs on the album

the goo reissue was pretty much just the already released goo tapes

and the sonic youth ep's "previously unreleased tracks" were just instrimental or working title versions of the songs that were already on the ep

all this on top of the fact that after the show in toronto this year kim and thurston just hopped in a car and drove away before anyone could see them after the show...

man, sonic youth sucks

soniknirve 04.20.2007 02:11 AM

no. DISC 2 will have all songs live. read:

Culled from performances at several venues including hallowed grounds such as CBGB's in New York and The Paradiso in Amsterdam, 'Live Daydream' includes live versions of every song on the original album. Added to that are four studio bonuses: 'Within You, Without You,' from Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father - an NME-sponsored charity Beatles Tribute album, 'Computer Age' from the critically-acclaimed Neil Young tribute album The Bridge; 'Electricity' from the Captain Beefheart tribute album Fast And Bulbous, and a cover of Mudhoney's 'Touch Me, I'm Sick,' originally released as a Sub Pop single.

hellotwentyfifteen 04.20.2007 08:33 AM

yea i read that too, i was just hoping for, you know, stuff that sonic youth fans havent mostly heard

although the live stuff should be good, cause they were amazing then

but those 4 songs are easy to find and only one of them is good (within you without you, its actualy really good)

it just seems like a cop out

SonicSam 04.20.2007 08:58 AM

I'm not gonna get this purely for the fact I dont like demo and live tracks. I dunno about it being a cop out though. I personally think it would be cool if they just sold it at the dont look back shows as a souvenoir type thing, then I guess a lot of people would moan about that!

fluxequalsrad 04.20.2007 12:29 PM

what happened to all those other songs people slated for the reissue?

Silver Rocket (take 6) wtf?