Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is your favorite thing about Sonic Youth? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=55452)

E. Noisefield 08.08.2011 10:21 PM

What is your favorite thing about Sonic Youth?

(uhh... the music.)

Yeah, well, me too. But, what about their music do you like most?

It can be anything. From an answer as simple as "I like the drums the best, Steve rawks!" to something vastly more personal, or complicated, like how the music makes you feel. Be specific.

What I like most about SY is that no matter what mood I'm in, they have a song to go with it. They are so fucking versatile. For a long time, the Pixies were my favorite band. But, you know, as great as the Pixies are, if you are in the mood to say, chill-out, or relax, you're kinda shit out of luck with them.

SY has, at one point or another, done virtually everything that I think is worth doing in music, and their music is such a sprawling, limitless thing that no matter what you want- you can find it there.

Express yourself.

Dead-Air 08.08.2011 11:05 PM

I like that they keep staying slightly older than me.

Mortte Jousimo 08.08.2011 11:24 PM

I like their melodic guitars the most.

_slavo_ 08.09.2011 01:36 AM

I like the fact, that no matter how old I get, what I'm going through, how my music tastes change, I put on a random Sonic Youth record (like this morning, A Thousand Leaves) and I say to myself - fuck, there is really no other band as good as them and most likely never will be.

But to name one particular thing, I especially love Lee's poetry, guitar work and his voice.

nicfit 08.09.2011 05:32 AM

That when you see them live what you see them playing is not what you ear.

EVOLghost 08.09.2011 06:03 AM

They can do whatever they want and not give a fuck.

EVOLghost 08.09.2011 06:03 AM

They are themselves.

SONIC GAIL 08.09.2011 06:51 AM

Evvrythang. Mostly how they make me feel I am somewhere else

SONIC GAIL 08.09.2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I like the fact, that no matter how old I get, what I'm going through, how my music tastes change, I put on a random Sonic Youth record (like this morning, A Thousand Leaves) and I say to myself - fuck, there is really no other band as good as them and most likely never will be.

But to name one particular thing, I especially love Lee's poetry, guitar work and his voice.

Eloquently put<3

chris.l70 08.09.2011 09:16 AM

Their music is so Ethereal, it takes you to another place. They're spiritual without being premeditating. They're intellectual without being dogmatic. They're what "rock", or music in general should always be. For me they are one of the only groups to realize the "Punk ideal", or what Johnny Rotten said,"Punk means thinking for yourself." I love how they are popular without being a pop sell out!! May sonic youth drive the noise forever!!!

_slavo_ 08.09.2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.l70
Their music is so Ethereal, it takes you to another place. They're spiritual without being premeditating. They're intellectual without being dogmatic. They're what "rock", or music in general should always be. For me they are one of the only groups to realize the "Punk ideal", or what Johnny Rotten said,"Punk means thinking for yourself." I love how they are popular without being a pop sell out!! May sonic youth drive the noise forever!!!

Pelle 08.09.2011 10:06 AM

That they in one second can do a classic sy-album and in the other make a experimental/noise album. They have many different sides of their music and there's always something for any mood.

logicalharm 08.09.2011 10:41 AM

That they tought me you don't have to be "good" to be great.

I see the guitar and the creation of music so differently now :o

chicka 08.09.2011 02:45 PM

The fact they have remained humble and stayed together. I love the experimentation of the group. Who else can make a screwdriver a musical instrument?

E. Noisefield 08.09.2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.l70

This is pretty fucking awesome.