Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I have a big presentation starting in 4 minutes and I'm scared to death (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9868)

Rob Instigator 08.08.2014 08:15 AM

habits

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.08.2014 07:36 PM

Once you become a public speaker, the bigger problem you have is knowing when its better to just shut up! For me, the mic is always on now, I can walk into any room and just take that shit over, BUT, often that is not the best course of action. The key to public speaking is to always know what you are talking about, and treat it like a conversation. Once you have mastered that artform, of essentially being able to carry on a conversation with a room full of people as if you were talking to just one person, than its all cake yo!

What is hilarious is one of my co-workers told me once, "Yeah but this job is easy for you, you are such a people person!" I was like, "Actually no, believe it or not before I started doing this I was almost cripplingly shy!"

College presentations are what broke me in like a good horse, and now again, the bigger problem is not nerves but knowing when to shut up :cool:

_slavo_ 08.09.2014 10:12 AM

you are a lucky guy, suchfriends.

_slavo_ 10.30.2014 01:19 AM

I have another big one today in about 5 hours. Because of that, I even have to travel to Prague in Czech republic, which is a 4hour drive by car. So I better head off now.
Cross your fingers for me please.

nicfit 10.30.2014 05:31 AM

Fingers crossed. It's superhard to type with fingers crossed.

Rob Instigator 10.30.2014 08:37 AM

I heard the ladies in Prague got the jiggle in their walk.

!@#$%! 10.30.2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I have another big one today in about 5 hours. Because of that, I even have to travel to Prague in Czech republic, which is a 4hour drive by car. So I better head off now.

okay. but i have to ask. even if it's the wrong thread. why don't you guys reunite so you can have a stronger football team? think of the possibilities.

BREAK A LEG.

_slavo_ 10.31.2014 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
okay. but i have to ask. even if it's the wrong thread. why don't you guys reunite so you can have a stronger football team? think of the possibilities.

BREAK A LEG.

first of all - I ruled yesterday. It was the first time ever that I had to present a subject matter while standing up in front of the people, as up till now I always presented while sitting at the table. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, but when you suffer from social anxiety, little details like these are very important. But I was surprisingly calm, self confident and talked in a very slow and controlled manner.
I am quite proud of myself.

secondly, well, i think you were partly joking about the reunification, but I will answer seriously - there is no chance for a reunification of Czechoslovakia in the future, ever. We're both parts of the European Union, have our own identities (believe it or not, though our languages are basically the same, we are different than the Czechs), and there are a lot of smaller or bigger differences in the ways we're both taking. For example, the Czechs are natural Euro-sceptics and they're anti-religious, while Slovakia follows the official political line of the EU and we're traditionally a very strong Catholic country (I guess the second after Poland in Eastern Europe). Etc etc.

But, to be honest, at the present moment I believe our football team is better than the Czechs'. They have the ageing but great goalkeeper Peter Cech from Chelsea, but other than that ... meh. We have at least Martin Skrtel from Liverpool FC and Hamsik from Napoli SSC, and fist of all, we have an awesome team coach who can bring the best from the squad. I believe we'll make it to the Euro championships this time.

Rob Instigator 11.06.2014 05:57 PM

NicE!

I ran for Staff Council at the University where I work a few months back, and did not win, but I was notified a week ago that the person who had that position left the University and would I be willing to attend the staff council meeting and say a bit about myself, i8n order for them to vote whether I will take the vacant position. I got voted in this afternoon, and not only that, I self-nominated myself and now am the Staff Council Historian (basically a glorified photographer, but that's cool!) so now I am on the Executive Group of the Staff Council! Dang! Shit happens fast!

_slavo_ 11.07.2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
NicE!

I ran for Staff Council at the University where I work a few months back, and did not win, but I was notified a week ago that the person who had that position left the University and would I be willing to attend the staff council meeting and say a bit about myself, i8n order for them to vote whether I will take the vacant position. I got voted in this afternoon, and not only that, I self-nominated myself and now am the Staff Council Historian (basically a glorified photographer, but that's cool!) so now I am on the Executive Group of the Staff Council! Dang! Shit happens fast!

you're the man, Rob! Congrats to the success story.

Bytor Peltor 11.07.2014 04:20 AM

Congratulations - I have a feeling you are going to blow the rest of the council away with all you bring to the position.......couldn't happen to a better guy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

_slavo_ 11.18.2014 04:03 AM

Another one today, in Czech republic as well as last time.

Rob Instigator 11.18.2014 09:42 AM

sonic crossed

_slavo_ 11.18.2014 06:24 PM

I did great! I was calm as a zenbuddhist.
Thanks Rob for your support.

!@#$%! 11.18.2014 07:14 PM

i forgot to answer to this

thanks for the reply

i wasn't exactly joking but yes a bit playful-- to reunite for football, ha ha

but see, i live in a country with 50 states that can be very different in culture, politics, religion, etc. some dialects i can't understand (well i wasn't born here, but still-- kentucky?). i know you've been to bawlmore but don't know how deep you traveled.

so yes i was curious about your perspective. i know several czech people in real life, but you're the only slovakian i've ever communicated with so yeah.

20 years ago supposedly a lot of people didn't want to

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/01/wo...de-regret.html

things have changed a lot though, it seems

_slavo_ 11.19.2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i forgot to answer to this

thanks for the reply

i wasn't exactly joking but yes a bit playful-- to reunite for football, ha ha

but see, i live in a country with 50 states that can be very different in culture, politics, religion, etc. some dialects i can't understand (well i wasn't born here, but still-- kentucky?). i know you've been to bawlmore but don't know how deep you traveled.

so yes i was curious about your perspective. i know several czech people in real life, but you're the only slovakian i've ever communicated with so yeah.

20 years ago supposedly a lot of people didn't want to

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/01/wo...de-regret.html

things have changed a lot though, it seems

I've been to Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Colorado Springs, Washington DC and Pittsburgh.

It's hard to explain. We're still something like step-brothers with the Czech people. We like each other, understand each other language-wise, like to sit down for a pint with each other and cooperate with each other (i have many Czech colleagues).
But we're just different. Different mentality, different habits, different core values. Anyways, they're still closer to us than the Polish, Hungarians or basically anyone else.

_slavo_ 10.29.2015 03:03 AM

Another one coming up this afternoon, in Prague.
Completely in English language. I'm a bit frightened, yet very excited, as I haven't spoken English in quite a long time. I hope I will be articulate.

Rob Instigator 10.29.2015 07:54 AM

knock em dead

_slavo_ 10.30.2015 02:59 AM

thanks, I did indeed! In fact in wasn't in English but in my native language, so it was all good.

nicfit 10.30.2015 03:36 AM

*applauses* great news slavoman.