Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   It's official - NNCK are the best band in the world. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9010)

Iain 12.15.2006 12:31 PM

It's official - NNCK are the best band in the world.

A cabal of about 6 people, myself included, decreed at midnight on 13th December 2006 that The No Neck Blues Band are indeed the best band in the world. Some of us ate the ritual sacrement of nnck (a clementine from Morrisons) and purchased sacred artefacts from the merch table. I had previously acquired these sacred documents so I bought an OOP Sunroof! lp instead.

Join us brothers and sisters!

pokkeherrie 12.15.2006 12:39 PM

hallelujah!

there's not really anyone like them... i'll have to acquire some more sacred artifacts tonight as my pounds were running out on wednesday.

toxic johnny 12.15.2006 12:43 PM

Well I'm with you... after my baptism on the 10th I'm walking barefoot across the hot coals, putting one foot firmly in front of the other, gagging for that ritual sacrement (will a clementine from Sainsbury's do?)

jon boy 12.15.2006 12:46 PM

i love them, but i love the hand of the man more. literally by a hairs width.

Glice 12.15.2006 01:19 PM

I'm entirely with you on this. If Fushitsusha were a going concern, there might be some competition. But no. They truly are the greatest thing ever. In years to come I'll get to be a cunt to some kid in a pub saying that I saw the mighty NNCK. I'm pretty sure they'll operate in that same kind of space as VU or Can in years to come. Truly the mightiest thing to happen to my generation. Huzzah!

gmku 12.15.2006 01:29 PM

I like Qvaris tremendously. I've yet to find anything else by them around here on vinyl, though. I don't think I've even seen any of their CDs in the stores. Anybody know if they're stuff is freely downloadable (the way Jonestone has their stuff set up to download for free)?

Glice 12.15.2006 01:37 PM

I think there's still a few copies of Ever Borneo! and Dutch Money/ First Kingdom of Ghost on vinyl floating about, but I think you'll have to find a Rough Trade-alike to get them in store. T'interknob's probably your best bet.

gmku 12.15.2006 01:39 PM

Okay, thanks.

I was kicked off RateYourMusic today, so I'm thinking about getting back at them by going out and spending a bunch of money on albums. Would be nice to find some NNCK.

Wonder why they chose to make Qvaris so widely available? I see it everywhere now. Why not the other albums, too?

Iain 12.15.2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Okay, thanks.

I was kicked off RateYourMusic today, so I'm thinking about getting back at them by going out and spending a bunch of money on albums. Would be nice to find some NNCK.

Wonder why they chose to make Qvaris so widely available? I see it everywhere now. Why not the other albums, too?

Qvaris came out on 5RC which is the sister label of Kill Rock Stars so I guess it has pretty good distribution. The collaboration with Embryo (Embyonnck) on Staubgold is pretty easy to find and there is a new one on Victo called Nine For Victor (recorded at the Victoriaville fest).

pantophobia 12.15.2006 02:23 PM

Praise!!! Praise!!! Glory Be To Stella Artois Head!!!

scott v 12.15.2006 02:32 PM

Nine for Victor is out next week, i've loved the NNCK for years now... was lucky enough to grab hold of a their early LPs (including their first on ecstatic yod!) before today's eBay have seem to strangle these into the realm of ridiculus collectors prices...

hat and beard 12.15.2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

NNCK are the best band in the world.

This is very much the truth.

narlus 12.15.2006 09:52 PM

one of the greatest performances i've seen was the show which eventually ended up on one of the double CDs...NNCK wailing and pounding from the poon village roof deck w/ the grey boston skyline in the background.

until the fucking cops showed up and pulled the plug.

fuck the man! this is IMPORTANT music.

Toilet & Bowels 12.16.2006 10:11 AM

i was part of the 13th of december's said cabal, glice how come you didn't come up to london for this one? i bumped into your sculptor mate in the toilet.

Glice 12.16.2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i was part of the 13th of december's said cabal, glice how come you didn't come up to london for this one? i bumped into your sculptor mate in the toilet.

Ah, excellent. I wanted to come up, but I have absolutely no money whatsoever. I did see them twice on their first tour (London and Leeds), so that kind of evens it out. I hope they were poo because I wasn't there, but I've heard from said sculptor they were acecore.

Savage Clone 12.16.2006 11:24 AM

You're lucky there is an ocean between us, or I would surely give you the beating you so richly deserve for using a term like "acecore."

Good god, man.

Glice 12.16.2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
You're lucky there is an ocean between us, or I would surely give you the beating you so richly deserve for using a term like "acecore."

Good god, man.

I might have a holiday, camp outside your house singing Carpenters' songs whilst using as much vernacular as I can. Skill, blud.

gmku 12.18.2006 09:37 AM

Have ya ever gone a-campin'?!

hat and beard 12.18.2006 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I like Qvaris tremendously. I've yet to find anything else by them around here on vinyl, though. I don't think I've even seen any of their CDs in the stores. Anybody know if they're stuff is freely downloadable (the way Jonestone has their stuff set up to download for free)?

The embryonnck record aint so hard to find on vinyl if you look for it. In fact it's a more recent (and better!) release than Qvaris so I would think you shant have a hard time finding it.

and speaking of EMBRYO, this album will blow your socks off, it will.

porkmarras 12.23.2006 12:57 PM

I wouldn't say they are the best band in the world right now.I've listened to more of their stuff and it's no more mindblowing than a lot of music produced by other musicians who don't get as much of a mention.They are very very very good but certainly not the best.Visually stunning too,but still not the best.