Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brown and black: fashion fuckup? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41119)

Count Mecha 08.29.2010 09:34 PM

Brown and black: fashion fuckup?

I like to wear brown pants, I dunno, they just look cool. Never thought about it too much, brown and blue, cool colors for pants. Problem is (I guess) I only own one pair of shoes, and they're black. Coupled with this I have a handful of black shirts.

Normally (and still) I wouldn't care about this. But apparently for reasons unbeknownst to me alot of people think brown and black is a very bad and in strange extremes the worst color combination you could think of for an outfit.

I still wear the combo (what else am I going to do?) and get made fun of occasionally, and talk about the lamest thing to get heckled about.

I suppose I'm dear abbying about this because I just think it's wild that black/brown haters seem so repulsed by something like this. I've talked to some people about this and they liken it to looking like trailer trash, or that it makes you look mentally dumb, and similarly extreme things. But they can never really explain why it looks bad beyond the generic 'it just does.' standby.

Wondered if you guys wanted to weigh in.

EVOLghost 08.29.2010 09:39 PM

hahaha....I have brown pants...and yeah I do like 'em. But honestly...the majority of my shirts are also black....and yeh...I don't wear the pants with black shirts. I kind of have a hard time pairing those pants with shirts.....I dunno...I think it just depends on the person.

however, I don't care for other people's fashion unless it's sheep like or really...really...stupid. In fact...I now admire you for finding someething to wear with your brown pants.

FreshChops 08.29.2010 10:13 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.29.2010 10:17 PM

The only pants I own are three pairs of tight-ass black jeans. I also have a beloved plain brown Fruit of the Loom tee. I love that shirt. Therefore, I mix black, and brown often, and it looks pretty fresh to me!

Count Mecha 08.30.2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I now admire you for finding someething to wear with your brown pants.

Haha, I don't know if you should. I don't try to match anything at all, it's really just a case of whatever the first thing I grab makes up my wardrobe for the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
The only pants I own are three pairs of tight-ass black jeans. I also have a beloved plain brown Fruit of the Loom tee. I love that shirt. Therefore, I mix black, and brown often, and it looks pretty fresh to me!

That's neat, I don't think I own any black pants now that I think about it, hmm. Anyway, has anyone ever called you out for it? I don't know where you live, but here in Eastern Kentucky I've been ripped up a few times over it. I mean I haven't been beat up over it (that would be hilarious though), but I've definitely had several "what the fuck is wrong with you?" looks and "you know those colors don't go together at all?" conversations.

ploesj 08.30.2010 07:29 AM

it really depends on what brown it is. a tan brown goes with almost everything (and looks GREAT with navy) but chocolate brown... not so much. when you go for chocolate, combine with lighter shades like off-white or warm colours (orange is good if you can wear the color and pull the seventies-reference off)

not really related but still kind of fashion: i just got these us navy sailor pants i bought online and on the first day of wearing them i crossed an old man in a captain's hat who promptly saluted me.

pbradley 08.30.2010 08:15 AM

Black t-shirt and chocolate brown corduroy pants. I do what I want.

SuperCreep 08.30.2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Black t-shirt and chocolate brown corduroy pants. I do what I want.

same here.

noisereductions 08.30.2010 10:24 AM

who cares?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.30.2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
That's neat, I don't think I own any black pants now that I think about it, hmm. Anyway, has anyone ever called you out for it? I don't know where you live, but here in Eastern Kentucky I've been ripped up a few times over it. I mean I haven't been beat up over it (that would be hilarious though), but I've definitely had several "what the fuck is wrong with you?" looks and "you know those colors don't go together at all?" conversations.

I've never been called out on it, but I actually have been complimented on the shirt (while wearing it with my black jeans) on at least two separate occasions. I think I luck out in this specific scenario due to my dark, dark, brown hair, brown eyes, and Sicilian skin-tone. Like maybe the shirt matches my physical features, more than it clashes with the pants... y'know?

noisereductions 08.30.2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

I've never been called out on it, but I actually have been complimented on the shirt (while wearing it with my black jeans) on at least two separate occasions. I think I luck out in this specific scenario due to my dark, dark, brown hair, brown eyes, and Sicilian skin-tone. Like maybe the shirt matches my physical features, more than it clashes with the pants... y'know?

maybe yr face looks like pants?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.30.2010 11:17 AM

Nah, my face looks more like this...

Derek 08.30.2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
who cares?

My reaction exactly.

chicka 08.30.2010 11:21 AM

As long as you're not wearing stripes with polka dots what's the problem. People who worry that their clothes must match or else are insecure wannabes. Clothes don't make the man/woman personality/attitude/behavior are the things that make a person real.

noisereductions 08.30.2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Nah, my face looks more like this...

your face looks like a hotlink-fail? That's awful.

!@#$%! 08.30.2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
I suppose I'm dear abbying about this because I just think it's wild that black/brown haters seem so repulsed by something like this.

tell them to eat a bag of dicks

/end of line

SONIC GAIL 08.30.2010 01:25 PM

Coming from an interior designer the colors are great together. Its boring if everything is exactly matching. General rule is mix and repeat. If you want to introduce a new color it looks like its in place if you repeat it.

Count Mecha 08.31.2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
who cares?

Apparently alot of folks do, which is why it's weird to me.

But this is the kind of sense I was hoping for from you guys. Even have the luxury of educated input from Gail, excellent.

And I pretty much agree with chicka in spades. Clothes are just clothes, as long as they aren't dirty or smelly or anything along those lines, then what does it matter.

FreshChops 08.31.2010 05:47 AM

the very woes of this thread is why I choose to hardly never, if ever, wear clothes