Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 6: swervedriver - raise (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15744)

atsonicpark 08.23.2007 01:36 PM

classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 6: swervedriver - raise

SWERVEDRIVER "RAISE"
Creation/AM, 1991

1. Sci-flyer
2. Pile-up
3. Son Of Mustang Ford
4. Deep Seat
5. Rave Down
6. Sunset
7. Feel So Real
8. Sandblasted
9. Lead Me Where You Dare

Ah, Swervedriver.. I have many fond memories of blasting this album while cruising in the summer time (even though I've only been able to drive two years). I'm sure most people on this board know Swervedriver, but to those who don't, they're basically a rock band draped in huge guitar noise; shoegaze but a bit more straightforward and melodic.. their guitarist called their sound "space travel rock'n'roll", which -- while pretentiously stupid sounding -- isn't far from the truth. Two defects that could make this band terrible to the eyes of the uninitiated: they're compared to Dinosaur Jr for some reason (they like loud guitars and solo sometimes? -- the difference is, the guy in swervedriver can actually sing quite well) and they're very British (no offense, it just turns some people off). But that's okay, because in spite of that, they're a perfect band!

Every track on "Raise" demands to be played at loud volume.. from the amazing "Sci-Flier" to the mindblowing -- and I say that because it's one of my favorite songs of all time -- "Son of Mustang Ford", the album is just loaded with classic "shoegaze" material... it's loud, it's innovative, it's filled with effects, it's all over the place, yet it's strangely accessible. And even though all of Swervedriver's material is consistently good, I rank this one as a "classic'' album because it's their most concisive; it flows together really well and it's not as loaded with songs as the other ones (though it's still quite long), so the effect of the music never becomes overwhelming or boring. The sequencing on this album is perfect and actually shows consideration to the listener... it seems like everything about the album was balanced just right for maximum listener comfort. It's odd, and I don't hear that in many albums of this nature (which usually have many moments of awkward feedback intros and effects-driven segues that go nowhere).

Masterfully produced and played and filled to the brim with beautiful sonic textures, this is without a doubt one of the defining albums of the shoegaze movement and perhaps still an overlooked classic. Also, one of the songs on here was used in a kickball scene in an episode of "Pete and Pete". Highly reccomended!

sarramkrop 08.23.2007 03:24 PM

mezcal head is better.

atsonicpark 08.23.2007 03:53 PM

I'm sure most people will agree with you.... but really, you can't go wrong with any of Swervedriver's albums, so yeah.

sarramkrop 08.23.2007 03:58 PM

Raise had the misfortune of coming out at the same time as Ride's Nowhere, and my heart went to Nowhere.

Savage Clone 08.23.2007 04:00 PM

Both those bands were pretty damn unstoppable at that time.

ricechex 08.23.2007 04:06 PM

Excellent post, atsonic. This has long been one of my faves..top ten, maybe even top 5. I was in a Swervedriver tribute band for a couple parties. We basically did most of RAISE, note for note. It was awesome.

And I disagree, Raise is better than Mezcal. Better songs mainly. Production is a bit muddy, but less slick than Mezcal, with more warmth and deep driving bass.

Just saw Adam Franklin at Maxwells last night. A bit dull, i have to say. The new album, Bolts of Melody, isn't bad tho.. i wish i knew it before the show since i bought it there.

sarramkrop 08.23.2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'm sure most people will agree with you.... but really, you can't go wrong with any of Swervedriver's albums, so yeah.

You can. Both 99th Dream and Ejector Seat Reservation are unworthy. I remember seeing their singer in London's Camden town once and wanting to ask him why they went so rubbish.

Everyneurotic 08.23.2007 04:26 PM

i only have ejector seat...i guess i need to check out their earlier stuff.

king_buzzo 08.23.2007 04:46 PM

Tottaly fucking agreed!!

raise is better than mezcal head in some ways but mezcalhead is good too. I dont like the later stuff, its just blah...

Yeah, the production on Raise is worse than Mezcal Head cause the band produced it and Alan Moulder produced Mezcal Head. But, I prefer the production on Raise cause what ricechex said, its less slick than MH...

atsonicpark 08.23.2007 04:47 PM

I loved 99th Dream. Though I only paid $3 for it haha..

king_buzzo 08.23.2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You can. Both 99th Dream and Ejector Seat Reservation are unworthy.

I was just gonna reply to the same quote by saying something similar. I dont have them, but I have the Juggernaut Rides best of, which has most of the stuff from the 2 albums on cd2, and it was pretty bad..

atsonicpark 08.23.2007 05:00 PM

you know, i'm really surprised at how many positive responses this thread has gotten though. i honestly didn't realize swervedriver were so widely-loved and -known. that's awesome.

sarramkrop 08.23.2007 05:02 PM

Production aside, Mezcal Head has better songs and that came across a lot when they played them live.

ricechex 08.23.2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Production aside, Mezcal Head has better songs and that came across a lot when they played them live.

It would have been interesting to hear MEZCAL given the RAISE treatment and lineup, b/c the rhythm section had left them for the recording. MEZCAL is just so normal and blah, production wise. I beleive guitarist Jimmy Hartridge played alot of bass. The original drummer and bass formed Skycraper, if anyone's interested. They're metal-ly.

Live, MH tunes were fantastic, and equal to Raise. Satansville was amazing! Won't forget that experience.

sarramkrop 08.23.2007 05:31 PM

Well, I've seen them live both on the Raise tour and the Mezcal Head one, and certain songs off Raise didn't seem to have improved in the their live guise, whereas the ones off Mezcal Head would mostly turn into something else.

Trasher02 08.23.2007 05:32 PM

I love Swervedriver, nice pick.

king_buzzo 08.23.2007 05:32 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq1bxguwXw

I actually prefer MH live...

ricechex 08.23.2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vyq1bxguwXw

I actually prefer MH live...

Nice retrospective vid for Afterglow:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LsPR9f1iblE&mode=related&search=

This is the sound for me. Lets not forget all their early killer B-sides and eps. Songs like Flawed and Kill The Superheroes. Wow.

king_buzzo 08.23.2007 05:59 PM

thats beautiful... But still, whenever I think of Swervedriver I think of 'Son of Mustang Ford' and 'Duel'.

Afterglow is pretty badass, the lyrics are awesome. Their lyrics are great... 'one million stars out tonight could spark neon from candlelight'
genius....

PAULYBEE2656 08.25.2007 05:42 AM

a classic! end of story