Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sorry, I've been dead. Have Sonic Youth officially split? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=95970)

GeneticKiss 07.31.2013 01:43 AM

Sorry, I've been dead. Have Sonic Youth officially split?

I know Kim and Thurston have, but they wouldn't be the first band to continue after two married members divorced. I don't know if there's been any announcements I've missed (again, dead), but everyone's off doing other stuff, all new SY releases are reissues, it's been 4 years since The Eternal...

This forum has definitely seen better days...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.31.2013 01:46 AM

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Mortte Jousimo 07.31.2013 03:12 AM

No, SY isn´t officially split. Not long ago Thurston gave interview where he said he didn´t see any obstacles to make something with SY someday, but the near future everybody has lots of something else to do as SY.

Magic Wheel Memory 07.31.2013 06:49 AM

Welcome back to life. You should be on TV for doing that.

EVOLghost 07.31.2013 07:39 AM

Kim said some things that made it sound "official"....well at least for her part.

Rob Instigator 07.31.2013 08:21 AM

Yeah. The members will continue to put out old SY stuff, and new solo and group stuff, but the band, the entity, the lifeforce that was Sonic Youth is over.

Look for them touring with just Thurston and a bunch of new people as "Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth" at a county fair in the next ten years.

Mortte Jousimo 08.01.2013 03:18 AM

..and he´s the one who claims that SY is his obsession. Or maybe he is medium because he seems to know that SY ever can´t put anything great new out anymore?

SonicBebs 08.01.2013 03:37 AM

the good news is Kim is now clean, so that's a big hurdle out of the way

Beautiful Plateau 08.01.2013 09:42 PM

"Sonic Youth is dead and we helped kill it"

the best hope we have is for a reincarnation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klCXBkn0VGs

I thought that we would just be friends.
Things will never be the same again.
It's just the beginning it's not the end.
Things will never be the same again.
It's not a secret anymore.
Now we've opened up the door.
Starting tonight and from now on.
We'll never, never be the same again.
Never be the same again.

Mortte Jousimo 08.01.2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beautiful Plateau
"Sonic Youth is dead and we helped kill it"

Can you open this a little bit, because I don´t understand where are the facts you´re lean on? Yes I know it´s of course possible SY will never do anything new as a band, but officially I think they´re in hiatus. And I know also for example Fugazi has been quite a while in a hiatus and maybe there is no-one who expect them to be a band again. And anyway I won´t be disappointed, if SY don´t do anything anymore, it´s a lot better than do a bad album in the future.

Beautiful Plateau 08.01.2013 11:19 PM

not leaning on facts here

just quoting a thought of mine, if there's such a possibility

It's also a reference to a quote from the Alec Foege book "Confusion is Next: The Sonic Youth Story"
"Rock is dead. And Sonic Youth helped kill it."

there's a lot of faux sérieux in what I wrote

"I swear I didn't mean it"

Mortte Jousimo 08.02.2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beautiful Plateau
not leaning on facts here

just quoting a thought of mine, if there's such a possibility

It's also a reference to a quote from the Alec Foege book "Confusion is Next: The Sonic Youth Story"
"Rock is dead. And Sonic Youth helped kill it."

there's a lot of faux sérieux in what I wrote
"I swear I didn't mean it"

Well, I don´t quite understand what that Alex F meaned, cause to me SY is one of those rare artists who has kept rock alive, specially when they started in eighties when the direction of "plastic bullshit" started in popular music. Of course if you´re thinking rock in very puritan way (I mean Elvis & the other fifties and in the other hand bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns & Roses) then you can say SY isn´t rock.

And that´s good question, is rock still alive. To me it is, although Black Sabbath, CLM & John Fogerty haven´t done their greatest albums of their career, there are very much rock feeling in their latest albums.

And about that seriousness of your former sentence, I don´t quite understand when these days many fans seems to think about their favourite artists like family members. I am very serious music listener, but still even SY is just a great band to me. If it splits, there still will be other great bands and artists. Also there has made more great music in the past I ever have time to listen.