Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   songs or albums evoking specific locales (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6574)

pantophobia 10.02.2006 01:28 AM

songs or albums evoking specific locales

i was just thinking as I am listening to Dirty, that this album really sounds like it was recorded in Los Angeles, as some of the subject matter in the songs are often connected, but the overall feel remains as well, kinda like a hazy red light night in LA (must be the smog and the light pollution combined)

Washing Machine clearly sounds like the south cause it was recorded mostly in Memphis and it sounds like it, where as Dirty was recorded entirely in NYC, but was influenced by Kim and Thurston staying out in California for extended periods of time

much of anything stick out of a place band doesn't come from, any band?

Cantankerous 10.02.2006 01:30 AM

bad moon rising sounds like the middle of the fucking forest. wherever that is.

_slavo_ 10.02.2006 01:36 AM

Merzbow really sounds as if he records in Japan.

Not funny, I know.

youthoftomorrow 10.02.2006 02:09 AM

i don't know if this is quite what you mean, but i often connect various records with places in my life just because that's where i first listened to them or listened to them alot. Sister and Daydream Nation will always be best inside a vehicle in the early morning (because i would always listen to them on the busride to school). Mudhoney's first album will always remind me of Seattle (because that's where i bought it). Black Flag's Damaged will always make me think of my friend's extra bedroom because that's where i first heard it. "Green Light" always makes me think of a certain stretch of freeway in Wichita, Kansas. the Butthole Surfers' Independent Worm Saloon makes me think of my old high school.

porkmarras 10.02.2006 02:26 AM

Dizzie Rascal's 'Boy in da Corner' makes you feel like you're not only walking down inner city London but specifically the east end of it and even more specifically Bethnal Green or Bow.

jon boy 10.02.2006 03:19 AM

nyc ghosts and flowers really does reming me of new york in the winter or berlin in the winter. yeah its true about bad moon as well. its a total industrial landscape style album.

much of the music i listen to reminds me of winter for some reason.

strictlycommercial 10.02.2006 03:31 AM

Loveless by MBV makes me feel as if i'm in a certain type of Dublin suburb, Rathfarnam or somewhere near it, in late autumn just as the light is starting to fade in a vaguely nostalgic mood, possibly with a slight cold. It's not an association as I've never listened to Loveless in Rathfarnam, but that very specific feeling hits me very strong every time I hear it.

Bad Moon Rising sounds like it comes from wherever that cover shot was taken.

jon boy 10.02.2006 03:41 AM

yeah 1000 leaces is really a summer album to me even though it has one of the most wintery songs on any of their albums, hoarfrost. dirty is most definatly a summer album i think. also washing machine evokes that late summer early autumn mood in me. love it.

Norma J 10.02.2006 03:54 AM

Kyuss sounds like the dry desert.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.02.2006 08:30 AM

Gary Wilson albums make me think of Endicott.

Inhuman 10.02.2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
have said this before..but when listen to bad moon rising, it takes me to some port, but not commercial. more like industrial or smth.

I too picture an industrial atmosphere, except for me it's with The Whitey Album.

atari 2600 10.02.2006 10:07 AM

Well, you got your Sufjan bulljive, or you have something like this...

Places
1. Los Angeles (Mehldau) 5:21
2. 29 Palms (Mehldau) 5:08
3. Madrid (Mehldau) 6:07
4. Amsterdam (Mehldau) 3:39
5. Los Angeles II (Mehldau) 5:17
6. West Hartford (Mehldau) 5:39
7. Airport Sadness (Mehldau) 4:44
8. Perugia (Mehldau) 3:51
9. A Walk In The Park (Mehldau) 5:59
10. Paris (Mehldau) 6:30
11. Schloss Elmau (Mehldau) 6:32
12. Am Zauberberg (Mehldau) 7:06
13. Los Angeles, Reprise (Mehldau) 3:30
Recorded January 24-25, 2000 LA
Warner Bros. 9362-47693-2
Brad Mehldau (p)

atari 2600 10.02.2006 03:40 PM

????????????????????????????????

Danny Himself 10.02.2006 05:30 PM

Pavement's 'CRCR' reminds me of driving at night, somewhere in Washington. I played it endlessly this summer and the Seattle area has seeped right into it. Daydream Nation is very NYC. Cat Power's new album is really southern.. but sorta lonely and desolate, like a farm. Bad Moon Rising is a crazy lost-in-the-forest sorta album.

LittlePuppetBoy 10.02.2006 06:47 PM

Avalanche by Matthew Good evokes for me the image of an empty airplane hangar or some fantastic castle. Kid A makes me think of a dark frozen wasteland. Murmur by REM makes me feel like I'm in a wet forest and field at dusktime