Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Eyes Wide Shut Appreciation Society (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40499)

Skuj 07.14.2010 11:46 PM

The Eyes Wide Shut Appreciation Society

Because contrary to popular wisdom, it is one of Kubrik's very finest.

Beautiful Plateau 07.14.2010 11:54 PM

good movie, I concur

!@#$%! 07.15.2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj

its a good horror movie

it's not a "sex" movie

it's about fucking with the wrong people and how your shitty little yuppie self is nothing when faced with real power

it's also about how nicole kidman blows her shitty grimacing ex-husband out of the water. i hate tom cruise but he was well utilized here as a naive turd.

barry lyndon, by the way, has a similar theme, and it successfully employs a similarly wooden male lead in a similar trajectory (though he's a criminal little shit). very close, these two.

--

i edited this a couple of, no, a few times, i hope it makes sense. gotta go crash.

atsonicpark 07.15.2010 12:25 AM

I think it's one of his lesser films, but it's still really good. Nice atmosphere. I'd put it on par with The Shining, probably. Maybe a bit long, but eh.

jon boy 07.15.2010 01:43 AM

it was ok but i thought it was too maudlin at times.

knox 07.15.2010 01:50 AM

i can't stand tom cruise.

jon boy 07.15.2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
i can't stand tom cruise.

that too.

demonrail666 07.15.2010 02:13 AM

It was never gonna work with Kubrick directing it. Whatever he might be good at, it's not subtle human interaction. His forte is quite one-dimensional, cartoonish characters (The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket). Someone like Steven Soderbergh or John Sayles would've been great but it was totally the wrong film for Kubrick to try and make. Although it might seem like an odd choice given what I just said, but Michael Mann would've likely done an amazing job of it, too. But definitely not Kubrick.

Count Mecha 07.15.2010 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
It was never gonna work with Kubrick directing it. Whatever he might be good at, it's not subtle human interaction. His forte is quite one-dimensional, cartoonish characters (The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket).

Barry Lyndon is great for that.

demonrail666 07.15.2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Barry Lyndon is great for that.

Yeah, Barry Lyndon is the closest to Eyes Wide Shut in lots of ways, but it still ups the cartoonish aspects of its characters. Unless that's what you meant.

terminal pharmacy 07.15.2010 02:38 AM

i discount it totally due to the tom cruise factor, i just cannot watch that walking turd on screen.

automatic bzooty 07.15.2010 03:03 AM

major mixed feelings 'bout eyes wide shut. i don't like tom cruise ... and i've become very sick of nicole kidman. ugh.

movie itself was p. interesting though. i'm not that into films but generally kubrick's stuff gets + keeps my attention...

atsonicpark 07.15.2010 03:23 AM

I do gotta say that Tom Cruise is just repugnant, horrid, idiotic and awful.

1999 was a good year for him. Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia were both great.

Derek 07.15.2010 05:31 AM

I love Eyes Wide Shut. It's my favourite Kubrick.

atsonicpark 07.15.2010 05:32 AM

My favorite is THE KILLING. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE is up there too.

noisereductions 07.15.2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I do gotta say that Tom Cruise is just repugnant, horrid, idiotic and awful.

1999 was a good year for him. Eyes Wide Shut and Magnolia were both great.

and soon after Vanilla Sky ... he fit that role well.

SONIC GAIL 07.15.2010 08:08 AM

Magnolia was quite good

deflinus 07.15.2010 08:26 AM

i haven't seen this movie in awhile. but i love it.
i don't know why tom cruise gets a lot of hate.
he's a good actor.

they should remake this movie in 3D and market it towards children.
it's a win-win situation

FreshChops 07.16.2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj

agree with'ya. A contrary to trendy opinion, I think Tom Cruise is a good actor and just alright with me, even if he's not from this planet. It's just too convenient to hate on him, but I've liked him in a lot of movies and as with every other entertainer, I could give a fuck about his personal life, opinions and idiocracies. Simple as that... play some good roles in good movies, all I ask. Like him or not, he's a pretty talented motherfucker.

I liked him just fine in Legend, Interview w/ a Vampire, Born on fourth of July, Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Valkyrie, Eye's wide shut, Tropic Thunder, Rainman, Few Good Men, Jerry Mcguire, and some others.....

Count Mecha 07.16.2010 03:00 AM

Yeah, I think Tom Cruise has made some pretty cool movies, I like his acting even if it's borderline retarded at times "THEY'RE ALL DEAD CLAIRE, THEY'RE AAAAAAAAAAAALL DEAD!"

But yeah I like him, I just think Eyes Wide Shut is dumber than shit. But you all dig it, whatever, it's cool.