Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston about Avril Lavigne (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15757)

Moshe 08.24.2007 12:03 AM

Thurston about Avril Lavigne

Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore doesn't have too many kinds words to say about Avril Lavigne and John Mayer these days — although he's got plenty of respect for a certain avant-garde legend and another classic-rock hero. "I am playing with Yoko Ono, and she's well past 70 and she rocks," he told Spin for the magazine's September issue. "Neil Young rocks. It's certainly not John Mayer or Avril Lavigne. Those people don't rock. If that's the young generation in the culture, then [forget] it. In the underground, the old guys are cool. I like the fact that the older we get the more we can rock."
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/156...on_kelly.jhtml

pbradley 08.24.2007 12:23 AM

Any and all anti-ironic appreciation for Avil Lavigne stops.... NOW.

ZEROpumpkins 08.24.2007 02:05 AM

Right on, T

Malcolm81 08.24.2007 03:43 AM

I think he's just reassuring himself: "I'm getting older, but if Yoko Ono can still sing at 70 and the alternative is Avril Lavigne, I can go on until I'm 80."

And he's right!

Moshe 08.24.2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm81
I think he's just reassuring himself: "I'm getting older, but if Yoko Ono can still sing at 70 and the alternative is Avril Lavigne, I can go on until I'm 80."

That is right:

Senile Youth Wednesday August 22nd 2007, 11:50 pm
Filed under: Sonic Youth, Humour?

Elderly rockers Sonic Youth are preparing for a show at Glasgow’s ABC.
Thurston - So, what are we going to play tonight?
Mark – Well, we’re billed to play Daydream Nation, so we should really do that.
Lee – Isn’t that one of our old ones? What would we do that for? We’re a forward looking band which never looks back.
M – Well, quite. I’m a little puzzled about it myself.
Steve – So if we’re playing Daydream Nation, what do we start with?
Kim – Kool Thing? That was quite good. I sang it.
M – No, that’s on Goo.
S – 100%?
M – (slightly exasperated) No, that was on Dirty. Daydream Nation came before that.
T – Yes, Bert, don’t be silly. It’s clearly Death Valley ’69!
M – (Exasperated) No! That was BEFORE Daydream!
L (looking excited) – Is it one of mine? Pipeline/Kill Time? Or Rats?
M – No! Lee, they never start an album with one of your songs!
L – Neither they bloody well do. (Looks hurt)
T – Beat On The Brat? Sheena Was A Punk Rocker?
M – NO! THEY WERE BOTH BY THE RAMONES!!! Look, here’s the record. It starts with Teenage Riot.
T – (less than convinced). Riiight. Then we play the other songs? Couldn’t we just play the CD then?
M – NO! There are people out there waiting to see you play and leap around!
T – Leap around?? Are you sure? And, any way, who are you, you young whippersnapper? The t-shirt man?
M – NO! I’m your bass player.
K – I’m fairly sure that I’M the bass player.
M – Well, you were until, well, you had problems …
K – What?
M – You had problems singing and playing at the same time.
K – What? (looks very hurt)
T – (jiggling around with excitement) I remember! I know who you are! You’re, you’re …., you’re JIM!
M (bangs head off table) – No, I’m not Jim. Jim’s … gone.
T – Gone?
S (shocked) - Do you mean he’s …?
L (horrified) – Has he …?
M – No! He just left the band.
T/K/L/S (horrified, in unison) – He left the band? Why would he do that?
M – He wanted to do other things. I’m Mark, I used to be in pavementtherockband.
T – Well, Mark-who-used-to-be-in-pavementtherockband you’ve caused us nothing but trouble since we met you tonight. You’ve told us that Jim is dead and worse that I didn’t write Beat On The Brat. So, as a punishment, you’re not going to play with us on the Daydream Nation set tonight. We’re going to play it the way we used to.
M- Aww, Thurston!
T – (Getting up to lead the band onstage). No, my mind’s made up. We’re going to play it the way we used to - as a trio.
The rest of the band nod their heads vigorously in agreement, then look puzzled as they do the maths.
T - (walking out the door) So how does Teenage Kicks go again?

Danny Himself 08.24.2007 09:00 AM

Hahah, lulz at that conversation.

jico. 08.24.2007 09:14 AM

hah... i just reminded thurston impersonating mark at paredes de coura, he made that mark ibold smile...

atari 2600 08.24.2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Any and all anti-ironic appreciation for Avil Lavigne stops.... NOW.

I think he means you, Everyneurotic.

ah HA heheh

Hey, maybe T and Li'l Mama can get together
and do a song about Eye Liner AND Lip Gloss!:eek:

atsonicpark 08.24.2007 09:32 AM

^ LEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyneurotic 08.24.2007 10:47 AM

well, i agree with thurston, avril (and especially john mayer) don't rock, she never did. she sings great pop songs.

i still love avril but she doesn't rock. sy don't rock that much anymore anyway, at least on record. sure, great songs, great jams, but it doesn't rock.

tesla69 08.24.2007 10:54 AM

"Thurston" can talk all the shit he wants about Avril but she was BORN TO BE A STAR. I mean, this picture says it all.
http://www.imagehosting.gr/view.php/14504_17237AvrilLavigneLiveinGreece0015122199lo.jp g.html

k-krack 08.24.2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Hahah, lulz at that conversation.

haha fuckin' a.
That ruled.

vulva 08.24.2007 08:45 PM

what an irrelevant point he's making

Georgekrz 08.27.2007 11:01 AM

well i think he has a point considering no one rocked harder at Lollapalooza this year than Iggy and the Stooges, and iggy is what, 62? and same could be said for Patti Smith.

spekkie 04.23.2008 02:31 AM

yoko ono is a complete stinge-puss. She sent julian lennon a cheque for royalties owing for johns work, worth fifty cents. she should be ashamed of herself. Regardless of what happened, julian is still john lennon's child.

vulva 04.23.2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spekkie
yoko ono is a complete stinge-puss. She sent julian lennon a cheque for royalties owing for johns work, worth fifty cents. she should be ashamed of herself. Regardless of what happened, julian is still john lennon's child.

A++++++++++ Thread Bump!

Would read again!

Cantankerous 04.23.2008 02:42 AM

julian lennon is fucking 45 years old, i think he's old enough to support himself

ironic that he's bitching about people who don't rock to MTV, a channel that doesn't even play music anymore

l'voyeur 04.23.2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulva
what an irrelevant point he's making

Yeah...
and how Thursty can compare avant-garde with bubblegum pop ?

pbradley 04.23.2008 04:37 AM

Fuck it man, I would say the same shit if MTV cared what I what I had to say.

SonicBebs 04.23.2008 04:45 AM

you know when your at Junior School and there's a girl you really fancy, so at break time you steal her milk and pull her hair cause you don't know how else to show her you fancy her....Kim must be screwing