Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do you like your neighborhood? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=715)

porkmarras 04.08.2006 07:54 AM

Do you like your neighborhood?

Just thought i would start this thread because i'm in the process of moving house and i have been thinking about it a bit.For the record,my neighborhood is a mixture of ghostly faced junkies,hipsters,working class folks,black gettos,gay bachelor boys,lesbian activists,shouting kids,whistling bricklayers,pretensious arseholes,gun yelding homies,lost couples and vietnamese workers.Oh!and Pete Doherty!!The best thing as far as i am concerned was this little shop run by the kindest asian lady where literally nothing was available on sale.As it was right in front of my house i would pop in to buy a packet of ciggies and the only one that was on sale was 20 superkings sitting lonely on an empty shelf. Milk had a use by that went back to a couple of centuries ago,the food consisted of meat sticks that no hunger would go near in its sane mind and the only shelf that had anything to show or offer had plenty of greeting cards that had pre typed phrases faded out by years of inconsistent daylight.The shop has now been closed and the kind lady leans on the window ledge of the house above it looking out on the horizon for a possible customer that never materialized(apart from me,that is).

Toilet & Bowels 04.08.2006 11:39 AM

i have very mixed feelings about my neighbourhood, in the summer during daylight hours i think it's maybe my favourite area of london, after dark though it totally changes because it's kind of a nightlife district and it over run by total pricks. and when it's cold it's a bit miserable. but on sunny afternoons i love it.

where are you moving to pork?

jon boy 04.08.2006 01:05 PM

in berlin i lived in a very nice area. prenzlauerberg is overun with cafes, bars and some pretty cool shops and clubs etc. the tram was just outside and the ubahn very close as well. also my favourute record shop is just around the corner. although having this wonderful area did bring in a certain amount of total pricks it wasnt like leeds or london and most people were very well behaved and not noisy. infact the only people that did annoy everyone were drunk tourists and they were pretty thin on the ground.

atari 2600 04.08.2006 01:09 PM

i love my neighborhood...i've been here almost 2 years & my neighbors are cool & i can play or listen to loud music... it's picturesque because I'm in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains here & you can see them through the trees. My yard has the best tree on the street right now. I have some sort of purplish-pink flowering tree in the front yard...i think it's an apple blossom(& there's sooo many types of trees...the neighborhood is like some sort of botanical garden or college campus in that respect)

the bad news is i don't know if i'm gonna be able to afford another eventual rent increase (i've fucked around & lost a lot of money recently) , or if i'm staying with my next lease...my landlord is from the UK & he is cool (we talk about cowboy Bush all the time), but he thinks this house is worth a lot more than it actually is...

sonikold 04.08.2006 01:15 PM

my neighbor threatened to call the cops on me & the band while we were practicing. fuck that scumbag.

atari 2600 04.08.2006 01:18 PM

that sucks but is par for the course...when i lived in athens, ga during my turbulent twenties i had 20 different addresses in 11 years

Trasher02 04.08.2006 01:35 PM

Do you like your neighborhood?
No

Signpost 04.08.2006 01:44 PM

i got used to it so in some way i like it although it's not that great

Grete 04.08.2006 02:25 PM

I hate my neighborhood !!They are all total pricks !grrrrr

Savage Clone 04.08.2006 02:28 PM

I like my neighborhood. I live just blocks from the Mississippi River, there are lots of bike paths, and it's not too "hip," but still a progressive part of town. Less dense population in my neighborhood too. We bought this house a little over 10 years ago, and we could never afford it if we wanted to buy it now, so I'm glad we're here.

screamingskull 04.08.2006 02:34 PM

mmm, i juess i like my neighborhood, the people are friendly enough and i live opposite a huge park and my college is minutes away and i dunno the weathers okay at the moment.
i wish there was more to do here though, most teenagers around here spend their afternoons and weekends wasted in the park, i think we would benefit greatly from a diner or a bowling alley or something.

Toilet & Bowels 04.08.2006 02:46 PM

then the teenagers would just hang around outside the bowling alley wasted, instead of the park

truncated 04.08.2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
then the teenagers would just hang around outside the bowling alley wasted, instead of the park

Are you saying that's no fun? I've enjoyed that activity quite a bit in the past.

Savage Clone 04.08.2006 02:57 PM

truncated's neighbors like the fact that her presence keeps the rents low.

truncated 04.08.2006 03:04 PM

They do complain about the smell a bit.

Savage Clone 04.08.2006 03:08 PM

I told you, you have to bury the bodies deeper.

noumenal 04.08.2006 03:09 PM

Well, Ben Gay has a pretty strong odor....

noumenal 04.08.2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I like my neighborhood. I live just blocks from the Mississippi River

I too live just blocks from the Mississippi River.

Hip Priest 04.08.2006 03:15 PM

We bought our house about five years ago, it's in the cheapest part of a decent neighbourhood. At ine end of a our road is a major road, the boundary between Oxton (us) and Tranmere. Tranmere is not so nice. I have very easy access to great public transport; Chester is an hour away, Liverpool twenty minutes and MAnchester one and a half hours. There's a nice art gallery ten minutes walk away, an a nice park/rose gardens 15 away. I live a five minute walk from Oxton village (where I work), and I have to say the whole area is pleasanrt enough. There are just short of 100 houses in our street, and I know most of the residents to say hello to. I'm on friendly terms with a good number of them.

So, yes, I do rather like my neighbourhood.

youthoftomorrow 04.08.2006 04:15 PM

i hate my neighborhood. i live in a suburban development in a town with next to nothing to do. the neighbors are friendly, but they're all uptight conservative Californians (i live in Idaho, by the way) who would rather not have any sort of teenage culture develop (the only place that held rock shows closed). the town i live in is a resort destination for many West Coasters.