Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is CD 2 of Lee & The Dust's 'The Rising Tide' fucked up? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=117828)

The Soup Nazi 08.20.2018 07:42 PM

Is CD 2 of Lee & The Dust's 'The Rising Tide' fucked up?

Sorry if this has already been discussed (it's been five years, after all), but I was extracting the audio from The Rising Tide: Last Night On Earth Demos And Rehearsals with Exact Audio Copy and the program froze at around 80%, which is about 17 minutes into the last track, "The Rising Tide [012313] [Dust Rehearsal Session]" (the one that lasts 25:26). I took out the disc, cleaned it, tried again twice; since shit kept happening, I gave up and changed EAC's extraction method to "fast mode" so that I could at least hear what the hell this was about — sure enough, there's a TACK-TACK-TACK-TACK sound from there until the end of the track, and no, it doesn't have anything to do with the song, you smartypants.

Played then the disc directly on a good ole CD player. Same problem. Great, the disc was fucked (not that you could tell by looking at it — zero visual indication of such an apocalyptic issue). So THEN I remembered, Hey, wait a minute, I actually have another copy! Brand new, factory sealed, ULTRAMINT! Fuckin' awesome...! Except no, no awesomeness: THE BRAND NEW CD WAS EXACTLY AS FUCKED AS THE PREVIOUS ONE. I wanted to shoot myself in the FACE.

Final try: got a file via SoulSeek (sue me; it was for experimental reasons, scientific method 101: isolate the variables). Wanna guess what the downloaded track sounded like? Yes, it sounded fucked up, in the same way.

Listen to the horror yourselves in the format of your choice:

FLAC (118 MB)

128kbps mp3 (24 MB)

So what do I do? Should I go to https://sonicyouth.kungfustore.com/s...-lee41-cd.html and hope the third time's the charm? Or is it safe to assume that every copy has the same demonic defect?

scott v 08.20.2018 10:20 PM

It sounds like its a "digital pressing error" at the "plant", I wouldn't spend any more money on more "copies".

I would contact Matador, however on Discogs it has the following on this release under notes:

"...There is a mistake with track numbers on Disc 2. Number 6 is missing so we jump from 5 to 7." Whatever that means...

Unfortunately I do not own a copy of this to validate or refute this error.

My friend/contact at the Matador warehouse in NYC is no longer (he moved onto another label distributor) so I can't ask him.

Errors like this though rare, do happen... Like when I got an early vinyl pressing of Thurston's Best Day and the pressing quality was atrocious and ended up getting a better copy later because of one pressing plant's issues...

rappard 08.21.2018 03:57 AM

If I recall correctly Exact Audio Copy in secure mode gave me grief as well for one or two tracks, but my hard drive is at work right now.

Will also check apollo.rip and redacted.ch.

If I don't post an update here tomorrow feel free to ping me at the usual email address.

wills123 08.21.2018 04:13 AM

Mine seems to be ok, though I've only checked it on my ipod so far though this was ripped from the CD. I'm in the UK though, so maybe it's a pressing plant thing if you're in the US?

rappard 08.21.2018 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wills123
Mine seems to be ok, though I've only checked it on my ipod so far though this was ripped from the CD. I'm in the UK though, so maybe it's a pressing plant thing if you're in the US?

<audionerd>
1: Did you use iTunes? That's a notoriously unreliable ripper
2: There's only one edition/pressing (limited to 1000 copies)
</audionerd>

wills123 08.21.2018 06:27 AM

I probably did use iTunes at the time but it worked OK. Will check the CD when I get home

_tunic_ 08.21.2018 02:32 PM

I just ripped both CD's with Exact Audio Copy and had no problems. They were converted directly to flac. I always choose the option: Action > Test & Copy Selected Tracks > Compressed, and the Compressed option is set up so that the files are converted to flac format.

And the resulting flac-files play fine in WinAmp (didn't listen to the entire discs yet of course but picking random spots on all tracks, no skipping or bad whatever anywhere.

What is Secure Mode though? I think I'm in secure mode, I felt very secure when ripping these discs.

edit:
yes, I've got EAC setup in Secure Mode with following options:
- Enabled: 'Accurate Stream' feature
- Disabled: Drive caches audio data
- Disabled: Drive is able to retrieve C2 error information

if you have the cache option enabled, perhaps you could try with the option disabled? Maybe cache can't handle larger files? I've no idea if that makes any sense.

The Soup Nazi 08.21.2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
I would contact Matador

The Rising Tide is a Lazy Eight set only, no Matador involved. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
however on Discogs it has the following on this release under notes:

"...There is a mistake with track numbers on Disc 2. Number 6 is missing so we jump from 5 to 7." Whatever that means...

It just means it's printed incorrectly on the artwork. "Lecce Leaving (Acoustic Session)" should be number 6, but it's listed as 7, and so if you go by that the disc appears to have 9 tracks, while they're actually 8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
I just ripped both CD's with Exact Audio Copy and had no problems. They were converted directly to flac. I always choose the option: Action > Test & Copy Selected Tracks > Compressed, and the Compressed option is set up so that the files are converted to flac format.

And the resulting flac-files play fine in WinAmp (didn't listen to the entire discs yet of course but picking random spots on all tracks, no skipping or bad whatever anywhere.

I extract and convert the audio just like you say. The sonic problem (huh) isn't anywhere but where I indicated, from approximately 17 minutes into the second disc's last track until its end.

Quote:

edit:
yes, I've got EAC setup in Secure Mode with following options:
- Enabled: 'Accurate Stream' feature
- Disabled: Drive caches audio data
- Disabled: Drive is able to retrieve C2 error information

Again, same configuration, although I've also tweaked it sometimes.

Quote:

if you have the cache option enabled, perhaps you could try with the option disabled? Maybe cache can't handle larger files? I've no idea if that makes any sense.

Here's where we arrive to the crux of the issue: the fact that the disc shows the same fuckedupness when played on a standalone/stereo system CD player proves the disc itself, not the extraction, is the problem. And since, as rappard correctly points out (and I should have factored this in before), "There's only one edition/pressing (limited to 1000 copies)", then shit is what it is.

[Major depression sinks in... :(]

rappard 08.22.2018 04:07 AM

Quote:

I think I'm in secure mode, I felt very secure when ripping these discs.

Hahaha!

Anyway ... I think we already reached a conclusion, but just for the heck of it (and to satisfy my obsessive-compulsive disorder):

Log here:
* http://pastebin.com/XDn4ziZs

As you can see I aborted track 8 when ripping (I usually do this when Exact Audio Copy gets stuck), and re-ripped in fast mode - but then CRCs did not match.

Said track uploaded here:
* http://we.tl/t-A2obZvLZfe

Hope this helps to cement our collective findings.

_tunic_ 08.22.2018 10:28 AM

here is the EAC log of my CD2. No errors are reported

I'm not going to publicly share the track, but lemme know if anyone wants it. I'll share the both CD rips in flac

The only difference that I can see in the log of track 8 compared to the other tracks is that track 8 says the following:
Accurately ripped (confidence 1)
where all other tracks show:
Accurately ripped (confidence 2)

I tried to google what this difference means and this explains it:
Quote:

This number is the number of matches. So "150" means 150 other people have ripped this CD and received the same audio CRC (a match). A "2" means two other people have ripped this disk and reported a match with your rip. Even 2 is a good thing as this is equivalent to you ripping 3 different copies of your CD on 3 different computers with 3 different disk drives, etc. and you get the same bitperfect output all 3 times (yours and the two matching).

Addition:
compared to rappard, I'm using newer version of EAC ( V1.3 from 2. September 2016 versus V0.99 prebeta 4 from 23. January 2008). v1.3 is still the latest version.
have you ever tried it with newer EAC version? Or is you disc corrupt same as Soup?

The Soup Nazi 10.06.2018 07:09 PM

BryanBoonI cold hard sucka.

Lee is Free 03.04.2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Sorry if this has already been discussed (it's been five years, after all), but I was extracting the audio from The Rising Tide: Last Night On Earth Demos And Rehearsals with Exact Audio Copy and the program froze at around 80%, which is about 17 minutes into the last track, "The Rising Tide [012313] [Dust Rehearsal Session]" (the one that lasts 25:26). — sure enough, there's a TACK-TACK-TACK-TACK sound from there until the end of the track

Hi, this thread was just brought to my attention, sorry I missed it previously. It's never been mentioned to me before. I’m pretty distressed, hearing this, especially because that last track, the 25 minute instrumental version of The Rising Tide, is one of my favorite recordings that The Dust ever made. I’ve use the original sound file at a number of different events, as soundtrack for a film, and never heard this TACK-TACK sound. (you can check it here, on VIMEO: https://vimeo.com/98704240 , or on my website under 'Videos' on the front page (the video "India, etc 2013-2014" uses this cut as soundtrack).

I am traveling for the next 2 weeks - to Barcelona to mix my new album! - but I will check CDs I have for this sound. I'm bummed the pressing is bad (if it is - I assume The Soup Nazi is correct - just dunno if it's the whole run or not). The pressing of this 2-CD set was indeed limited to 1000 copies, mostly all sold now. There might be a few left at the SY Online Store... I have just made this track available for listening or d/l to anyone who wants it on my site (leeranaldo.com)-on the front page under "
THE RISING TIDE–SOLO+BAND DEMOS 2013".
All I have access to at the moment is mp3 but I will add the hi-res file soon, though it might take until sometime after I'm back from Barcelona before that happens.

Sorry for this tech bummer! Thanks for the heads up-
---Lee

wills123 03.05.2019 06:23 AM

I will check CDs I have for this sound. I'm bummed the pressing is bad (if it is - I assume The Soup Nazi is correct - just dunno if it's the whole run or not). The pressing of this 2-CD set was indeed limited to 1000 copies, mostly all sold now.

Hi Lee - my copy seems perfectly OK as far as I can tell but am in the UK so don't know if that makes any difference?

AstroInfihnity 03.06.2019 09:35 AM

I purchased my copy at LR & Dust show in Philly during that touring cycle. Spun the version of Rising Tide in question this morning and mine played perfectly.

bloodcrystallisetosand 04.02.2019 08:58 AM

Lee, you're a gent. I love that India vid, must've watched it five times through.

rappard 05.04.2019 12:28 AM

@_tunic_:
Your 08.22.2018 post means that you ripped your disc perfectly. Strange considering the rest of this thread - the difference in EAC versions is probably not the cause, since I assume Soup is also using 1.3.

Explanation: I ripped my disc when there were no entries in the AccurateRip database. At some point I submitted my rip (i.e., the CRC checksums), EAC usually does so every 30 days.

Then you ripped your disc - AccurateRip then compared your rip to the one it already had on file (mine), hence the "Accurately ripped (confidence 2)". For track 8 my checksums did not match, so yours was the first good rip for the track. Hence, "Accurately ripped (confidence 1)". I compared our log files, and all our checksums except for that one indeed match.

I now run 1.3 as well, might attempt another rip of track 8 at some point. Also, still need to check orpheus.network and redacted.ch.

rappard 05.04.2019 12:51 AM

> Also, still need to check orpheus.network and redacted.ch.

Neither had it.