Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So I just found out the most fucked up thing EVER (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36597)

SYRFox 12.23.2009 06:00 PM

So I just found out the most fucked up thing EVER

Mahmoud Awad - Sheikh To The Future

According to last.fm: " This artist is from the future. There are no current records of his life, where he lives, or anything about him. This album must be treated with great respect, because it is the first that has been sent back in time to us.

Perhaps we will someday find out how this artist was able to send his album back in time."

It REALLY is fucked up. Check it out: Fire And Earth
More Women More Problems Part 2
Dance To Death
(the whole album is on youtube).

I'm freaking now

TheFoxBen 12.23.2009 06:14 PM

Next year's hype.

Glice 12.23.2009 06:21 PM

Someone's taken an Arabic tape, played it on a fucked tape player, and added a bit of chorus. Have you ever heard Nurse With Wound's 'chance meeting of a defective tape player and migraine'? It's quite similar. I can up it if you're interested.

Trasher02 12.23.2009 06:24 PM

Funny stuff, I gotta hand it to him nice gimmick.

TheFoxBen 12.23.2009 06:50 PM

We're listening to it at the moment.

SYRFox 12.23.2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Someone's taken an Arabic tape, played it on a fucked tape player, and added a bit of chorus. Have you ever heard Nurse With Wound's 'chance meeting of a defective tape player and migraine'? It's quite similar. I can up it if you're interested.

yeah, I'd appreciate it. Haven't heard it.

SYRFox 12.23.2009 06:53 PM

noisereductions 12.23.2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice

I really need to check out Nurse With Wound. Everything I read about them (him?) sounds awesome.

SYRFox 12.23.2009 07:50 PM

2087 will be a fantastic year for music, I tell y'all

Glice 12.23.2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I really need to check out Nurse With Wound. Everything I read about them (him?) sounds awesome.

Honestly, you're not missing much. There's a lot of flack to his discography. I think Herr Park has heard everything, get him to recommend a handful of albums, but don't break your neck getting excited about them. Was terrible live.

You're better off working on your dislike of Grime, much better stuff.

the ikara cult 12.23.2009 08:16 PM

Porky was the one who reccomended NWW to me, and he's a sage on these matters, but i could never really love it. Chance Meeting on a dissection table is quite good, mainly because it reminded me of something that I used to say to one of my friends years before id ever heard of Nurse With Wound, but everything else ive heard doesnt give me much of a kick.

Pookie 12.23.2009 08:18 PM

Terrible live. I had to leave halfway through.

Pookie 12.23.2009 08:19 PM

Also got snubbed by him earlier in the evening but I told that story here at the time.

Pookie 12.23.2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Mahmoud Awad - Sheikh To The Future

According to last.fm: " This artist is from the future. There are no current records of his life, where he lives, or anything about him. This album must be treated with great respect, because it is the first that has been sent back in time to us.

Perhaps we will someday find out how this artist was able to send his album back in time."

It REALLY is fucked up. Check it out: Fire And Earth
More Women More Problems Part 2
Dance To Death
(the whole album is on youtube).

I'm freaking now

Couldn't move for tripping over shit like this in the eighties.

the ikara cult 12.23.2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Also got snubbed by him earlier in the evening but I told that story here at the time.

If interesting please repeat

atsonicpark 12.23.2009 09:31 PM

No, I haven't heard every NWW album, I downloaded most of them at one point from this guy on soulseek named Fuck Humans and didn't even make it through most of them. Not a fan. Interesting concepts but his stuff just doesn't stick with me. Really inspiring sound designs but not much else.

the ikara cult 12.23.2009 09:33 PM

how odd that most of us dont think Nurse with Wound is all that, i imagined that most of you liked it, i guess im more like you than i knew (aiaiiiiiaiiaiaiighhhhh)

atsonicpark 12.23.2009 09:41 PM

I think he's well-regarded for a few reasons. He has flat-out, jawdropping, AMAZING production. Every thing I've heard sounds immaculuate, like... better-than-major-label productions in some cases. Yet it's basically... "Noise" (sorta, for a lack of a better word here). "Noise" (sorta) produced like a pop record. Sorta. So, that's pretty nutty. Hi-fi. It's interesting to me that it's not all murky and buried like most of the similiar stuff you'll hear.

Another reason is because he has, straight-up, done tons of interesting things. Aesthetics are often more important than content, I've noticed. At least in the chinstroker's eyes. I'm not one to talk -- I have downloaded albums of silence, I fucking love Jliat (look him up), I have the boring-ass Alva Noto discography cuz "whoa, man, he samples printers and static!".. still, a cool concept will only get you so far.

Also, there's people who just genuinely like his stuff, which I can see. Listening to his records, to me, was like a series of me going, "Whoa! That thing he did there was really cool!" after about 5 minutes of me going, "hmm.. yeah.. hmm.. oh.." Lots of cool moments, but it just didn't stick with me beyond that. I have a feeling that the more sound arty/collagey type stuff he does has probably been done way better by someone else, so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction go ahead...

Either way, I'm glad he exists.

The Earl Of Slander 12.23.2009 09:47 PM

I only have Homotopy To Mary. I've only listened to it all the way through once, and I remember thinking it was really interesting, and possibly actually fucking fantastic. Then I just never actually listened to it again, and I feel semi-guilty about it every time I slink on past in my record collection. Something tells me I will quite probably not explore NWW much further for some reason...

the ikara cult 12.23.2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
I only have Homotopy To Mary. I've only listened to it all the way through once, and I remember thinking it was really interesting, and possibly actually fucking fantastic. Then I just never actually listened to it again, and I feel semi-guilty about it every time I slink on past in my record collection. Something tells me I will quite probably not explore NWW much further for some reason...

Ive listened to that too, and its one of those things youre glad exists but its just not enjoyable as an experience, not cos its offensively bad or anything, it just never grabbed me