Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

k-krack 09.24.2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest

I have to disagree about the mainstream thing. Think of people like Tears for Fears and Heaven 17 - they may not be to everyone's taste, but they (especially TFF) managed to combine being genuinely mainstream with writing songs about a variety of things ie not just about boy/girl stuff. That hasn't happened since. Heaven 17 were very political (lefties - not my politics, but hey ho).

And, now, you see, I have to say this: Duran Duran, during their 2nd and 3rd LP's, whether you like them or not, filled a very important role insomuch as they were the first pop band to genuinely come close to matching the Beatles for popularity. That gave pop music a kind of legitimacy.

Aside from pop, there was also the after-effects of punk. Also, we saw for the first time the breakdown of clear stylistic delineations as bands started to mix rap and rock, dance and rock, pop and punk and just about everything else.

That said, there was some right shite too of course, I won't try to deny it.

some of that i suppose is true. i have never heard/of Heaven 17... but im a leftie... TFF, i never thouhgt of them as mainstream.. but i guess one would have to be alive in the time...? TFF is great though. i cannot stand Duran Duran... and the punk stuff, there was liots of super good stuff, i suppose some that came from the 70's.. but whatever.. i'm thinking stuff like the Damned and Husker Du... not so much mainstream, no?
anyways, i suppose the 80's sucking for mainstream or not is a matter of taste.

Iain 09.24.2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
the fashions of the era certainly left something to be desired, though.

And seem to be making some sort of comeback amongst 'hip young things' everywhere.

k-krack 09.24.2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonBox
I tend to find most mainstream of the 80s too slick and overproduced, and that horrible drum sound... But I won't disagree with you Hip, cause you seem to have alot more knowledge on the subject than me.

couldn;t agree more. just that overly compressed sound of everything. it's terrible. especially in the american music, and some british rock stuff. the "post-punk" (mainly out of britland) was awesome, though.

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
And seem to be making some sort of comeback amongst 'hip young things' everywhere.

god, i know! WHY?!?!

DemonBox 09.24.2006 04:44 PM

Yeah, the drum sound is cool with Devo, but with bands like Bon Jovi, yuck.

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
some of that i suppose is true. i have never heard/of Heaven 17... but im a leftie... TFF, i never thouhgt of them as mainstream.. but i guess one would have to be alive in the time...? TFF is great though. i cannot stand Duran Duran... and the punk stuff, there was liots of super good stuff, i suppose some that came from the 70's.. but whatever.. i'm thinking stuff like the Damned and Husker Du... not so much mainstream, no?
anyways, i suppose the 80's sucking for mainstream or not is a matter of taste.

Tears for Fears were absolutely a mainstream pop chart band. But they were also quality, interesting songwriters - that's what defines that era's pop for me.

The Damned, during the phase where they did 'Phantasmgoria' and the LP after whose name escaped me, were regulars on television pop shows too, even those aimed specifically at younger people. Other than that, you'd never hear of them.

But as you say, it's a matter of taste, and I'm sure when I go on about the eighties, it's partly because they were my formative years (I was 9 in 1980, so my teenage years were in that decade). People older than me will try to insist that the 70's or 60's were better. There's a subjectivity to it.

k-krack 09.24.2006 04:48 PM

i have nothing else to add... so, true. and about the comeback of eighties fashion. what the fuck is with that!? it's so.. BAD!!!

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 04:49 PM

yeah, like the huge oversized sweaters and leggings and flat shoes. what the fuck?

Iain 09.24.2006 04:50 PM

Who knows....because it's 'fashion' or something.

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 04:50 PM

Fashion? I don't want to seem argumentative, but I hope no-one's suggesting that there's anything wrong with this:

Or, indeed, these two fine looking chaps:

k-krack 09.24.2006 04:51 PM

wearing ugly knit sweaters and patchy weirdass shirts (especially new kids on the block shirts) is grossly popular now. it's only drama whores that do it though. fuck the drama kids, they are lame. (attention whores, too. they are synonomous, though)

Quote:

Fashion? I don't want to seem argumentative, but I hope no-one's suggesting that there's anything wrong with this:

oh no, of course not!!! didn't mean to give you the wrong idea!

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 04:51 PM

Heaven 17 were always very stylish:

time to go. see you all later.

Iain 09.24.2006 04:52 PM

Yes, I was going to mention leggings. I was trying to find a picture of this local band because they pretty much sum up the 80's revival style thing but they are so vacuous I've forgotten their name and tunes and can only recall what they were wearing.

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

i don't find anything objectionable about that. but you know, the whole mall rat thing making its revival is just too much.

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 04:54 PM

The kings of goth, Fields of the Nephilim:

(Goth was great in the 80's too)

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 04:54 PM

morrissey had great style in the 80s. so did thurston.

Iain 09.24.2006 04:55 PM

To get back on topic...

I am listening to Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 04:55 PM

and nick cave! he looked great in those leather pants with no shirt on.

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i don't find anything objectionable about that. but you know, the whole mall rat thing making its revival is just too much.

Fair enough. I always hated legwarmers, and patchy shirts. Foul.

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 04:56 PM

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 04:56 PM

^ Sonic Youth have always looked cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
To get back on topic...

Oh quite right, sir. I'm going to put some 1980's stuff on. Art of Noise to start with, I think.

Cantankerous 09.24.2006 04:58 PM

i don't much care for sy's garb these days, but you know. they're aging and whatnot.

DemonBox 09.24.2006 04:59 PM

oh, I'm back in the 00s now, Sondre Lerche - You Know So Well. A fine tune.

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 05:01 PM

Never heard of Sondre Lerche. Nice name though.

What's the Norwegian scene like?

DemonBox 09.24.2006 05:07 PM

Well, Motorpsycho is still going strong, new record and a whole lot of gigs around the country, I'll be seeing them in Bodø the 20th october. And we got some decent rap-groups, Karpe Diem and the super-left wing Gatas Parlament, which are fine. And yeah, you should check out Sondre Lerche. He writes some really good pop tunes.

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 05:08 PM

I'm about to listen to his new single at his website.

Iain 09.24.2006 05:14 PM

I am about to read a book and I am going to listen to Messians Turangalila Symphony. Really classy like.

DemonBox 09.24.2006 05:15 PM

tell me what you think of it.

k-krack 09.24.2006 05:15 PM

in regards (hello again, fellas) to that shirt Thurston is wearing, i have a shirt very similar to that one, a few minor differences, and it's tighter-fitting. i love that shirt.

(sorry to go off-topic, guys. i hope you can forgive and forget)

Inhuman 09.24.2006 05:15 PM

I just started listening to my playlist start to end.

23 Skidoo.

Hip Priest 09.24.2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonBox
tell me what you think of it.

I quite liked it, but it only played 60 seconds or so.

DemonBox 09.24.2006 05:23 PM

Ok. His first album "Faces Down" is a good listen.

Inhuman 09.24.2006 05:23 PM

Mindless Self Indulgence

My friend sent me a song. They sound terrible. Manson meets Dance music. And the guitar has that "refined, digital" sound to it...I hate that type of distortion.

nomadicfollower 09.24.2006 05:54 PM

Some of Bach's harpsichord work.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.25.2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama

Is this a bootleg version? Surely this is not widely available. And I know you are the boot queen.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.25.2006 12:17 AM

You know, if I were you, I'd share this with the public!

Just saying....you know....

Cantankerous 09.25.2006 12:22 AM

krastian 09.25.2006 01:38 AM